Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Details have begun to trickle out of his publisher's site. Still no date on the Kickstarter, hopefully soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Coming next week to Kickstarter apparently! (So around Nov 9 2016, I assume.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that Ninja Divison is getting bold with their game designs. Taking the Blood Bowl route with Ninja All-Stars and now throwing dice into what seems like a BattleCON/Exceed-like game. I can't wait to see how this plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter is live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/way-o...

And here some additional information:
http://gamingtrend.com/2016/11/09/crazy-eights-benjamin-yama...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
At first it seemed really blatant with some of the mechanics, such as priority / start and hit effects / movement track etc that are clearly pioneered by other games such as BattleCON and Yomi. But take a moment to look closer. I see dice management like in Monsterpocalypse (+). I see spacing and footsies, in particular I like the crouch/shift/leap mechanic. I also see a cool comeback mechanic with the dice when you take damage.

However, I am really disappointed with the character selection. Some are so close to the characters they are inspired by it is offputting. Kyo Kusunagi, Zangief and Christie Montero, do not remember the Way of Fighter names because they look way too similar. Some of the designs are weird too, like the voodoo girl. I know fighting games are full of weird designs, some may love them but I am not drawn to them.

Regardless of my thoughts on character design, some of them do look cool. Also regardless of my thoughts the art is excellent and I love how many original pieces there are per character. This is a big plus. I also love the design of the board, but the dice look a little plain compared to all the brightly coloured fighting game goodness around them. Finally, original art for the standees to look like a fighting game is nice.

Overall I had a roller coaster of love and hate, but the love is greater. I just have to find the time to print and play to see how it feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
At first it seemed really blatant with some of the mechanics, such as priority / start and hit effects / movement track etc that are clearly pioneered by other games such as BattleCON and Yomi. But take a moment to look closer. I see dice management like in Monsterpocalypse (+). I see spacing and footsies, in particular I like the crouch/shift/leap mechanic. I also see a cool comeback mechanic with the dice when you take damage.

However, I am really disappointed with the character selection. Some are so close to the characters they are inspired by it is offputting. Kyo Kusunagi, Zangief and Christie Montero, do not remember the Way of Fighter names because they look way too similar. Some of the designs are weird too, like the voodoo girl. I know fighting games are full of weird designs, some may love them but I am not drawn to them.

Regardless of my thoughts on character design, some of them do look cool. Also regardless of my thoughts the art is excellent and I love how many original pieces there are per character. This is a big plus. I also love the design of the board, but the dice look a little plain compared to all the brightly coloured fighting game goodness around them. Finally, original art for the standees to look like a fighting game is nice.

Overall I had a roller coaster of love and hate, but the love is greater. I just have to find the time to print and play to see how it feels.

You didn't mention the price which I think is high and on top of that, there's payable add-ons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, I did miss the price. Also you are right about the payable add ons. I cannot get in because I am broke for the Xmas run, but if anyone tries the PnP please reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Aaron, I think you are quite spot-on with your description of the game mechanics. The risk taking with dice, the resource management, and the spatial element are my attempt to provide a different take on the fighting game genre as a board game. I am not going for simulation either, I just want to bring something different.

The character design will always be hit or miss, depending on the people taste and level of nostalgia. But the art is really awesome, and I am happy that you like some of them.

As for the price, compare the content of FFG living card game like Netrunner and the content from WoF, and you will see that you get quite the bang for your buck (Netrunner is amazing, I am not making gaming comparison, just component).

The miniature does not change the gameplay, so it is an add-on, but you don't really need them. Also, if the KS does decently, there will be plenty of free stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I am not sure what you are talking about, there is plenty of such comments currently on Facebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.