Subject: Played a seven player game last Friday rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So we played a seven player game last week that included Tleiaxu. Although some of us imbibe during the game, we also have some who prefer to remain sober, but for some inexplicable reason we played the entire game without having an extra sietch on the shield wall. So seven players and only five possible strongholds and surprise surprise, no one won. A few things of note, my friend played Emperor and he went after Atreides in the first turn. Atreides never recovered, so once again I have difficulty understanding how others feel Atreides is a strong character unless it is in a 4 player game. Atreides would have most likely allied but a nexus did not occur until late in the game. Poor Fremen could not get a worm to appear in his territory until game's end, although he did have thirty spice at one point. BT did about as well as I have ever seen them do. There were lots of players in the tanks, and Emperor was more than willing to buy people out, and later people had to buy leaders. He used his three star tokens to good advantage (worth two in battle except against Atreides since his prescience can detect face dancers). Sadly, even though I was Harkonen, I could not get a win. I had a chance bult Bene knew I had the lasgun and forced me to play it for the lasgun shield explosion. He had won the trophy the previous month so he had no need to do any thing but ensure no one else won. Being Bene and having a weapon and defense he was able to accomplish that goal. Still a lot of fun though, and we look forward to next month. Hopefully we will be smart enough to play with six sietches next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles, were you using the original BT variant from The General? If so, how do your players feel about it? Apparently you like it? We tried it once back in the day, and I frankly thought it was just mystifyingly badly conceived. Certainly no fun for the poor guy who tried to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Charles, were you using the original BT variant from The General? If so, how do your players feel about it? Apparently you like it? We tried it once back in the day, and I frankly thought it was just mystifyingly badly conceived. Certainly no fun for the poor guy who tried to play it.

Well Brad, I'll have to check on where the variant came from but we got one for Ix from the same place, and I believe they are both from the place you sited. We added our own spin on it though, as we said the starred tokens counted as two in battles like Emperor or Fremen's. I suggested that they not be counted as two against Atreides based on Paul Maud Dib's abilities as outlined in the book (plus Atreides has enough trouble as it is). We don't usually have seven and eight player games so only a few of us have had the opportunity to play the character. It has taken a while to get some kind of strategy that works, and it certainly is harder than most any other character. My friend's strategy last time was to forget shipping his star tokens for free, but instead use them to kill as many armies as he could, with an emphasis on Guild and Emperor as they can afford to buy their men out. Since he got three free revival and since we allowed BT to revive all three star tokens per turn since they are BT, this worked pretty well. It's still a struggle for spice, but if he can win a few battles and not just rely on Emperor paying for revivals each turn, there is potential there. We probably need to compare player aid sheets and box information to be sure we are talking about the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the BT had leaders and tokens, then it wasn't the original AH variant published in The General. In that one, the BT had no tokens nor leaders and only bought cards and placed them on strongholds as "traps". If I'm recalling correctly, if the BT didn't get lucky and buy a weapon, they could have zero appreciable effect on the game. It was really dumb (imho).

The other fan-made BT/Ixian/Landsraad expansions I've seen around all have a lot more merit than that, although I've honestly never tried any of them first hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I think we the latter version, although we have never tried the Landsraad. But we have leaders and tokens for BT and IX. The BT get to draw five eladers at the beginning and pick two for traitors. Also, as I have mentioned they have three star tokens (face dancers) who can ship down like the BG spiritual advisors and count two in battle. The Ix get two cards at the beginning like Harkonen and can keep up to five cards in their hands. Both have relatively weak leaders. Ix doesn't have to back up their men with spice though, and they get 1 spice for every weapon and defense played, and 1 spice when the weather control is played. BT gets money when people buy out extra revivals or dead leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the rules i made for the bene tleilax which have been tested a few times are these.

Not sure how they compare to the ones you used.

Their alliance ability grants the ally the ability to revive an additional troop so 4 troops instead of 3.

We also play with the following rules..

The Bene Tleilax may allow any faction to revive a dead leader during the revival phase even when all their leaders arent in the tanks. The cost for revival is equal to the leaders combat strength and the spice used is paid to the bene tleilax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No this is definitely different from how we play. Both BT and Ix get the same 20 tokens and five leaders as other players, although BT has three star tokens (face dancers). BT gets three free revivals where Ix only gets one, and we allow BT to get all three star tokens out of the tanks on one turn if he chooses since they are BT. BT gets to pick five leaders at start of the game to draw traitors from, and can keep two as traitors. So if BT was lucky enough, he might get Feyd Rautha and Count Fenring, and three of his leaders that he knew would be safe. Your Scytale rule is interesting, but unless there was a #6 leader in the tanks, probably wouldn't come into play often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
well scytales combat rating is a 2 and zoals is a 1 so it happens a lot, mainly because bt can revive dead leader even when they still have leaders and also because scytale and zoal are cheap to use.

main issue with bt in this variant is that their troops are weak in general and they still pay full for shipping. Best strategy is to attack factions with few free revivals then you earn spice when they revive and offer revivals on leaders to earn spice. Get a karama and that army of 15 ghola troops can reall catch your enemy out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Reinert
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe Scytale is a #5 leader in our game. We don't play with the extra players often, but we might tonight as we hope to have 7 players. We may put all 8 in the pot and let he chips fall where they may. Who knows, we make actually have alliances in this game, because lord knows it is hard to win with Ix, BT, or Atreides.
On a different note, I have been thinking that if alliances were made along the lines of the book, then Atreides and Fremen would ally, Harkonnen and Emperor, and that leaves Guild and Bene Gesserit. If players allied along these lines, it would seem like they would be fairly evenly matched, but I would have to give a nod to the Guild-BG alliance being the strongest. Guild having the voice and BG being able to ship for free would help both immensely. Not sure there would be a way to stop them provided Guild had a weapon and BG had a defense. In a situation like this, it would fall to Harkonnen and Emperor having Guild and BG for traitors and that just isn't likely. I would think that Atreides and Fremen would be the weakest alliance, since they are the weakest individual characters. Together they are much stronger, but unless they had enough money to get the cards they needed, they would be a non-factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.