Subject: Healthcare of the Future rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/12/technology/mercy-hospital-vi...

Not sure I am liking the future of health care. Seems just a bit impersonal to me. But not surprising, given the rise of technology and its use in all industries. Being old school, I think I'd prefer one-to-one face time with a human if they are going to be partially reponsible for my care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the hospital also must have an actual ED and intensive care units yes?

I can give preliminary support to this. Falls and medical accidents do happen at hospitals. Nosocomial infections happen. There's merit to not visiting the hospital unless necessary. The flip side is there's a lot of physical and visual examination I wouldn't trust through an iPad camera.

It needs to be done right, but it can definitely result in care that's cheaper and has better patient outcomes. If you're on a high deductible plan or HSA plan, and you can get the care you need at home for cheap? It has to be coupled with a very thoughtful plan about what to do if timely intervention is needed.

It also solves less of the problem for the patient in poverty or who had poor medical education and uses the ED as primary care. In that regard it's a marketing move for the patients most likely to have means to pay.

Cautious optimism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not everyone lives in a major city so having the option to see a great doctor that may not be near you would be a blessing for some.

I think those that have good options for their condition in their area will likely prefer to go in, but having more options is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Heard a recent story on the news about a doctor in the US who was able to direct an emergency procedure in a Syrian warzone hospital.

This kind of thing has been going on in Alaska with the Indian Health system and remote villages for several years now, although I'm not sure exactly to what extent they are using the technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your virtual doctor today is Dr Gregory House:

We certify he is Vicodin free today...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Not sure I am liking the future of health care. Seems just a bit impersonal to me. But not surprising, given the rise of technology and its use in all industries.

In the morning, I stab myself in the finger and bleed into a computer that measures my sugar levels. I then go for my 5K run, and when I return I check my heart monitor that bluetooths to my tablet to verify that I'm in the proper zone.

And you think THE FUTURE of health care will be impersonal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
Not sure I am liking the future of health care. Seems just a bit impersonal to me. But not surprising, given the rise of technology and its use in all industries.

In the morning, I stab myself in the finger and bleed into a computer that measures my sugar levels. I then go for my 5K run, and when I return I check my heart monitor that bluetooths to my tablet to verify that I'm in the proper zone.

And you think THE FUTURE of health care will be impersonal?

You speak of diagnostic devices, they are already here, that is true, but it might be a different story about what you might prefer if those diagnostic tools actually find something wrong. Ain't no diagnostic tools of the present that are going to help you then. But your point is well taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The healthcare field is growing, but it's also going to become increasingly automated in the coming decades (as with most fields).

Robot surgeons, robot diagnosticians, robot pharmacists...etc. and they will all be more precise and accurate than current human doctors. I welcome our new robotic overlords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:

The healthcare field is growing, but it's also going to become increasingly automated in the coming decades (as with most fields).

Robot surgeons, robot diagnosticians, robot pharmacists...etc. and they will all be more precise and accurate than current human doctors. I welcome our new robotic overlords.

Says the DNC spam-bot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This concept and artical are several years old so I can only imagine the technology has improved...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/high-tech-toilet-ta...

The scary thing is at some point insurance companies may try to encourage (mandate) subscribers to use this device to lower premiums... so with your insurance provider looking over your shoulder into the can will ensure your 4 day drinking-drug filled binge has not gone unnoticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With one exception, my doctors haven't treated me as a person for over 15 years. They clearly are just acting as a robot reading the numbers from the tests and prescribing based on those numbers. I briefly had a doctor who was actually engaged from 2005ish to 2008ish but he moved across town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
With one exception, my doctors haven't treated me as a person for over 15 years. They clearly are just acting as a robot reading the numbers from the tests and prescribing based on those numbers. I briefly had a doctor who was actually engaged from 2005ish to 2008ish but he moved across town.

LOL, I got a kick out of that last statement. I can see how that would be difficult living in Houston. Here in Connecticut the other side of town is about two or three extra miles. ( and thats in just about every town in the state ! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.