Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I believe I have read somewhere, or heard, that it is possible to use some characters from Islebound in Above and Below.

Is it true ? How does it work ? I have seen in the pictures for Islebound that there are "villager-tiles" that look very similar to the ones in Above and Below, but they do not have exactly the same symbols at the top of the tile. So how would it work ?

Thank you for your help.

Character tiles from Islebound:

Character tiles from Above and Below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Coulsdon
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Above and Below version of the characters is on the reverse of the tiles, with all the symbols you know and love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is not normal.
badge
mbmbmb
How do the Islebound villagers fit into Above and Below mechanically speaking?

Are they just shuffled into the available villager supply and dealt into the villager selection as any other Above and Below villager would be?

Or are there specific rules for how they are brought into the game?

It looks like some of the Islebound villagers come with rewards or end game scoring icons, too. Any details you can share about that aspect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
Or are there specific rules for how they are brought into the game?

Specific rules, as quoted elsewhere:
fbi_boy wrote:
If the 5 cost slot of villagers is empty during refill, you add an Islebound crew, in place of a regular villager. Some of them have some new end game scoring opportunities! Pretty neat idea, for all the Above and Below fans.

So if Slot 5 is ever empty (after recruiting or after sliding down at end of turn) you fill with an Islebound character.

We found this to be a fun addition and gives new options when playing Above and Below. However, sometimes the Islebound characters come in fairly slow (2p game). We tried a variant where Slot 5 always has an Islebound character in it, and that seemed to work well for seeing new faces each game (again, 2p only).

End game scoring gives you points for resources on your player board, your fruit might be worth an additional point, for example.

Hope that helps! Both Islebound and Above and Below are great games, we've been having a great time with both of them.

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Islebound characters are put in a bag/cup and if at the start of the round the 5 space is empty on the board, you add a character from Islebound to that spot.

The icons are the Islebound characters are points you can score. ie. if it has the fish icon, at game end you get 1 pt for each fish you have. I can't recall off the top of my head the 'extra' stuff they can do. I've only played with them once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That really sounds cool !
Thank you for all your answers.
How did you get to know this ? Is there an official rule somewhere ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look at this review of Islebound:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628813/minas-not-so-mini-r...

There's a picture of the reverse of the ship-mates, and the instructions must explain the bonuses from the tiles (if they aren't obvious)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is not normal.
badge
mbmbmb
giac0m0 wrote:
Have a look at this review of Islebound:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628813/minas-not-so-mini-r...

There's a picture of the reverse of the ship-mates, and the instructions must explain the bonuses from the tiles (if they aren't obvious)

Looks pretty cool!

Here's the picture from Mina's review:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The (small) downside to all of this is teaching Islebound and having people ask "what are these symbols on the back of the crew tiles?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you.
Islebound will be my next purchase. I can't wait !

TedMarshall wrote:
The (small) downside to all of this is teaching Islebound and having people ask "what are these symbols on the back of the crew tiles?".

I can live with that ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.