GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been curious about this matter for a while, so last night I told my husband he could stop playing board games with me and play Fallout 4 if he humored me for a few minutes and ranked some of the games in our collection.

My husband isn't one to often volunteer information so you have to ask him outright- I knew some of his favorite games, but I didn't really know how he felt about a lot of them. He's so easygoing that he will play anything I want to play without complaint (usually). I figured, rather than just holding up a game box and asking, "What do you think of this one?" I'd read off some of the games we play together and ask him to rank them according to the BGG system. Our collection isn't huge, so it didn't take too long. I also didn't let him see what rating I had given so that it wouldn't possibly influence his decision.

It was just a fun experiment and I was wondering if anybody else has done this and/or how your game preferences line up with your significant other's in general?

Some highlights from my experiment:

Most of our ratings were not more than 2 points apart.

The biggest gap was Colt Express which I already knew he was not overly fond of. My rating is 9, his was 6.

Games we rated the same: Roll for the Galaxy (9), Merchants & Marauders (9), San Juan (8), Catan Dice Game (7).

Biggest surprise: I thought he didn't like Catan Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My SO doesn't play games often enough to get any rankings out of them. The only games that they have actually recommended to play were Tales of the Arabian Nights and Pandemic: The Cure. They found the network building of Ticket to Ride "stressful" (which baffles me, since I find TTR to be a very relaxing game), actively disliked the direct-conflict of Eight Minute Empire Legends, and seemed mostly unimpressed by Roll for the Galaxy (even though my SO won both times they agreed to play!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boyfriend and I have fairly similar ratings overall as well - we go through them sometimes, and discuss, and if our ratings are vastly different, I sometimes modify mine, because we are usually on the same page. I think about it a lot first.

I think one difference though is Evolution, which he likes, but I really like, and probably Dominion as well. He likes both games, but they're two of my favourites and I'm not sure they're really two of his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more than happy when my partner just plays a game with me! Making him rate them would probably amount to torture. It's hard enough to get him to comment at all. I was almost ecstatic when, after playing Waggle Dance, he *volunteered* an opinion in the form of "we can play this one again if you'd like". cool

He'd probably rate cooperative games higher than I do, because he prefers working together to competing. He hates games in which one has to be fast (like Ligretto) and doesn't like word games - both of which I love.

He rates video games a lot higher than I do, on the other hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to ask him to rank our games, which he did gladly using the BGG ranking scale. But lately, I've stopped asking. Not for any bad reason. So the ranking of our collection reflects my thoughts more than his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this kinda thing is a necessity for my SO and I. I tend to like every game I come across and love learning new games where my SO hates the process of learning a new game. After we play a new game or 2 I tend to have a "how do these compare to the others" discussion. I don't ask for ratings as we do them in bgg so much (might be worth trying) but rather a rank in how interested she has to be in gaming to play game X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a pretty cool tool for comparing two collections here:

http://korttipeliopas.fi/korttipelit/bgg/correlation.php

It gives you some interesting numbers and a way to view all your rating differences.

According to that, Lisa and I have a 0.83 correlation (with a 1 being "exactly the same ratings").

Generally we like the same stuff. I tend to like thematic/miniatures games a lot more (or perhaps "be more forgiving of their faults" is more accurate). But I tend to be less forgiving of what I see as badly flawed thematic games.

Turns out there are only 8 games/expansions we rate more than 2 points differently:

Machi Koro: Harbor (Lisa: 5, Me: 2)
Mansions of Madness (Lisa: 4, Me: 1)
Runebound 2nd Edition (Lisa: 7, Me: 4)
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Rook City (Lisa: 6, Me: 2)
Telestrations (Lisa: 8, Me: 5)
Thunderstone Dragonspire and Wrath of Elements (Lisa: 7, Me: 4)
World of Warcraft: The Boardgame (Lisa: 7, Me: 4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
There's a pretty cool tool for comparing two collections here:

http://korttipeliopas.fi/korttipelit/bgg/correlation.php

It gives you some interesting numbers and a way to view all your rating differences.

That's a neat tool. Unfortunately my husband doesn't have a BGG account and I doubt he'll get one, so for now his rankings are on the comments section of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's ratings aren't too far from mine on any game in our collection, because if they are I just get rid of them. The sole exception is The Game of Life which she enjoys and I dislike.

I suppose if there were a really unique game that I loved and she disliked, I would keep that. But anything she dislikes so far, I can find a similar enough game I like just as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
I'm more than happy when my partner just plays a game with me! Making him rate them would probably amount to torture. It's hard enough to get him to comment at all. I was almost ecstatic when, after playing Waggle Dance, he *volunteered* an opinion in the form of "we can play this one again if you'd like". cool

He'd probably rate cooperative games higher than I do, because he prefers working together to competing. He hates games in which one has to be fast (like Ligretto) and doesn't like word games - both of which I love.

He rates video games a lot higher than I do, on the other hand.

Haha, sounds a lot like my hubby, except for the competing part; while my hubs enjoys co-ops he enjoys a good competition. He definitely prefers video games over board games, though once in a while a certain game will spark excitement -dare I say it- equal to that which video games seem to incite. Imperial Assault seems to be such a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't rated anything here on BGG myself, but for the most part I think that my husband would rate things similarly to me with the exception of a few games. We have pretty similar tastes, which is handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner and I have a joint game collection and play a lot of games together.

But we have this funny pattern going on where I often like the games my partner buys better than he likes the games I buy (to be fair, I buy more games, quite a few more games):
Android: Netrunner (heart), The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, Shadowrun: Crossfire are games he bought (even though the first and third we had at some point both said we wanted before he got them), and they are now some of our joint very favourite games.
My partner's favourite game that I got and chose without him is Assault on Doomrock -- it's one of his overall favourite games as well and he's always keen to play it. He also enjoys Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (though probably still less than me) and, more recently, Islebound. And I was quite surprised how much he liked Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia; he might actually like that more than me.

I think I like straight-up euros a bit more than him. I got Orléans, Suburbia, City of Iron... all games he's not too fond of.

Over all, though, we have a lot in common when it comes to gaming taste. I do not think I would enjoy gaming nearly as much if I couldn't share it with him; for us it is very much a thing we do together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

Over all, though, we have a lot in common when it comes to gaming taste. I do not think I would enjoy gaming nearly as much if I couldn't share it with him; for us it is very much a thing we do together.

I agree! Part of what makes gaming so special is that my husband and I are in it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Carterville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I did the same thing last month - she doesn't have an account and probably never will, so we went through the list and I added her scores. We are pretty similar in a lot of games, but she tends to rate the "classics" (Clue, Masterpiece, Careers) much higher than I do because those are the games she played and enjoyed as a kid. I never liked Clue...so that's our biggest difference (I score it a 4, she rates it 10).

We have different ways of approaching our ratings too. For example, I rate Codenames a 10 because right now, I'd always be up for playing it, it plays well with experienced and new players, and at almost any player count. My wife agrees with me on all these points, and would always play it, but rates it a 6! For her, anything above a 5 is an "above average" game that she would have fun playing, but she doesn't consider Codenames to be way above average, just a decent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drumbilical wrote:
My wife and I did the same thing last month - she doesn't have an account and probably never will, so we went through the list and I added her scores. We are pretty similar in a lot of games, but she tends to rate the "classics" (Clue, Masterpiece, Careers) much higher than I do because those are the games she played and enjoyed as a kid. I never liked Clue...so that's our biggest difference (I score it a 4, she rates it 10).

We have different ways of approaching our ratings too. For example, I rate Codenames a 10 because right now, I'd always be up for playing it, it plays well with experienced and new players, and at almost any player count. My wife agrees with me on all these points, and would always play it, but rates it a 6! For her, anything above a 5 is an "above average" game that she would have fun playing, but she doesn't consider Codenames to be way above average, just a decent game.

Yes, that's an interesting aspect of any rating system. What a specific rating means to each of us may differ. I gave my husband the BGG explanations for each rating, so he did his best to base his opinions on that. I myself am yet to rate any game a 10 because I reserve that rating for what, for me, is the perfect game... and I don't think I've quite found it yet. I'll probably have to invent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Turns out there are only 8 games/expansions we rate more than 2 points differently:

Machi Koro: Harbor (Lisa: 5, Me: 2)
Mansions of Madness (Lisa: 4, Me: 1)
Runebound 2nd Edition (Lisa: 7, Me: 4)
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Rook City (Lisa: 6, Me: 2)
Telestrations (Lisa: 8, Me: 5)
Thunderstone Dragonspire and Wrath of Elements (Lisa: 7, Me: 4)
World of Warcraft: The Boardgame (Lisa: 7, Me: 4)

Well, after talking to Lisa it turns out that pretty much all of those are the result of her not updating her rating, or just rating an expansion based on the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tally C
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun idea and neat tool!

Using the BGG rating correlation tool, Tyler and I have a 0.59 correlation, which was a bit lower than I would've expected! However, across all users that shared at least 75 common games with me (which at a glance appears to be somewhere around 150 people), Tyler had the highest correlation (the next was 0.52).

Happily, our bigger differences in game ratings is mostly the degree to which we like the game (e.g. one person likes it, the other person absolutely adores it). Our "3" differences were:
* Alien Frontiers (me: 6.5, Tyler: 9.9)
* Blue Moon Legends (me: 9.5, Tyler: 7)
* FUSE (me: 7.8, Tyler: 5)
* Lord of the Fries: (me: 3, Tyler: 6 - happily, we do not own this game, it was a friend's)
* Roll for the Galaxy (me: 5.5, Tyler: 8.5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My wife ranks my collection as mostly a waste of money, but better than a drinking or gambling problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
"Compared to You, I'm just a nighlight, against the Blazing Son." --Jimmy Needham
mbmbmbmb
Well, my husband also humored me recently by opening a BGG account because I'd asked him to rate our games.

He ranked everything between a 4 and 8, the only 8's being his favorites, Othello & Chess. I asked him why he didn't give Chess a 9 or 10, and he said the description for those is "always want to play," and he doesn't always want to play a board game. whistle More than half of the ones he scored got a 6. I rate everything in our collection between 2 and 10, and if you look at that ratings bar chart in your profile, I am more spread out/even in ratings.

So, there's a bit of difference in our scores because we approached things differently. For example, one of his favorite actual board games, one he'll even suggest we play, is Power Grid. He gave it a 6; I rate it a 9 (partly because of how much he enjoys it). He also gave Carcassonne a 6, but he burned out on that game years ago and doesn't want to play it again any time soon. So, I guess the numbers to us mean different things.

Our rating correlation came out as a 0.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.