$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Came across the encounter card "Destroy a mech." What does this mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Funkhouser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello BGG,

My group just finished our second play through of Scythe (I absolutely LOVE the game) but we are all confused by an encounter card. I believe it's Encounter 10 that gives you the option to completely destroy a deployed mech. We are all extremely confused because there is no option in the game where mechs are destroyed. Even in combat, they simply retreat. In the end, the player chose a less harmful option but what would have happened had he chosen the 3rd option of destroying the mech? The rules say nothing about it, and I've found nothing online. Our group came to the consensus that the mech would be removed from the game but the mech ability would still be available for the faction as a whole.

Any help? Has anyone else come across this card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFunk27 wrote:
Hello BGG,

My group just finished our second play through of Scythe (I absolutely LOVE the game) but we are all confused by an encounter card. I believe it's Encounter 10 that gives you the option to completely destroy a deployed mech. We are all extremely confused because there is no option in the game where mechs are destroyed. Even in combat, they simply retreat. In the end, the player chose a less harmful option but what would have happened had he chosen the 3rd option of destroying the mech? The rules say nothing about it, and I've found nothing online. Our group came to the consensus that the mech would be removed from the game but the mech ability would still be available for the faction as a whole.

Any help? Has anyone else come across this card?
What's the exact text on the card?

IIRC there is a card that refers to destroying a mech in the flavour text, but that has no influence on the game state.
AFAIK there is no way to remove a mech from the board after it has been placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mh, I think you got an answer in the other thread but you deleted it. modest

Anyhow, you do not destroy a mech. This is just the flavor text to describe the situation you encounter. You only do the text after the ":".

Edit: Ok, just seems to be moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Funkhouser
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember. I will have to ask my friend to look it up. It was in the first 15 cards though numerically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Funkhouser
United States
California
flag msg tools
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Mh, I think you got an answer in the other thread but you deleted it. modest

Anyhow, you do not destroy a mech. This is just the flavor text to describe the situation you encounter. You only do the text after the ":".

Edit: Ok, just seems to be moved.

Yeah, I moved it to the correct forum. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the kickstarter edition with all of the encounter cards. I have looked through every card and none of them have this "destroy a mech" option. You must have misread the card. Card 10 specifically does not have this option. Can you figure out which card number it was and report back? Like I said, I am 100% sure you have misread the card. There is no mechanism for destroying mechs. Was it just the flavour text portion of the card?

edit: You are probably referring to option two on card 14:

"Disassemble the mech for spare parts: Pay $2 to gain any three resources"

The part in bold is just flavour text. You just choose that option, pay $2 and gain the resources.

For example, the first option on the same card is:

"Repair a broken fence to secure the pigs: Gain 2 food and 1 popularity"

You don't need to literally repair a fence! You just gain 2 food and 1 popularity for choosing that option...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
You don't need to literally repair a fence! You just gain 2 food and 1 popularity for choosing that option...

Hold on...I backed at the "Animal Husbandry Scythe" level just so I could get the live pigs. How am I supposed to secure them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, Rev! If all of the flavor text on the Encounter cards were actual requirements, I think we could look forward to some very interesting Session Posts!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Good point, Rev! If all of the flavor text on the Encounter cards were actual requirements, I think we could look forward to some very interesting Session Posts!
laugh

I had trouble fitting the bear into my game room!

Note: This is only light-hearted joshing and not intended to be disrespectful to the OP's question, which is legitimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you ordered Scythe Legacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the "encounters" have a bad/negative effect on the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I wasn't supposed to burn down that family's home...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
None of the "encounters" have a bad/negative effect on the player.

Well can lose popularity in exchange for other rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In respect of the theme of course, the mech that you are disassembling (with that option) is not "yours" (or at least not any of the ones you may have deployed). It's the mech in the picture on the encounter card: the one your character is busy encountering on that territory. The 3 resources you get go on that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.