Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Bug with the Mobile App? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our second game of Mansions of Madness last night, another run through of the shortest, basic scenario where you investigate the Vanderbuilt Mansion. We had played it the week before, so we knew roughly what was going to happen, but were interested to see how the app changes things up. Our first game was played using the App through a Windows 10 computer, but last night we used an android tablet to control it.

So there's this one table in the hallway that you can investigate; if you choose too, you find strange writing that will 'give you great power'. If you recite the script you get a spell. It was a Whither spell on our first play through. Then on one of the next turns, during the mythos phase you have to 'pay for that power' and a monster spawns. During our first play through it was a Deep One.

So last night during our second game, my husband gets to the table and searches it, bringing up the prompt to either recite the script or not. I tapped 'Recite the Script', and it just closed! No story moment, no spell, no nothing. The search token icon disappeared from the map, so we couldn't reengage with it. We thought it was odd, since pass or fail, there's always a story moment with anything you do in the app- I even went back to the message log to see if I could reopen if from there, but no dice.

We chalked it up to his gravedigger character simply being awful at reciting spells, and moved on, only to have the next Mythos Phase still do the 'pay for your great power' thing, and spawn a Deep One (that annoyingly led directly to our downfall, because it came over and wrecked me!).

We've only played one other time, but it seems that everything should have a story moment when interacted with, and it should not have simply closed and done nothing. It was frustrating when it then spawned a monster, even though it had failed to give anything for doing the initial search- double punishing!

Has anyone else had this happen?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Brunnstag wrote:
So last night during our second game, my husband gets to the table and searches it, bringing up the prompt to either recite the script or not. I tapped 'Recite the Script', and it just closed! No story moment, no spell, no nothing. The search token icon disappeared from the map, so we couldn't reengage with it. We thought it was odd, since pass or fail, there's always a story moment with anything you do in the app- I even went back to the message log to see if I could reopen if from there, but no dice.

If you watch Robert's play through (from his Black Belt Gaming YouTube channel), the same happens on his turn 9 video @8:00.

If it's a bug, it's difficult to say, maybe that's meant to happen? Sometimes you get a spell, sometimes nothing happens (until later that is).

Even if it is a bug, just treat it as if that's what's meant to happen. Sure, it's tough but thems the breaks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brunnstag wrote:
We played our second game of Mansions of Madness last night,

[snip]

strange writing that will 'give you great power'. If you recite the script you get a spell. It was a Whither spell on our first play through.

[snip]

So last night during our second game, my husband gets to the table and searches it, bringing up the prompt to either recite the script or not. I tapped 'Recite the Script', and it just closed! No story moment, no spell, no nothing.

[snip]

Has anyone else had this happen?


Yeah, we saw this bug too. I never reported it because I didn't have the context available (little did I realize the Log would probably have done that for me at the time).

And I am definitely convinced it's a bug. Actions have consequences, and this app in particular is (almost over the top) always giving the story to you about the how why and when of things.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You on iOS or Android?

I have played that mission on my Android tablet and phone and haven't had that issue. The table gave me the card and monster both times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen it happen quite like that before but I did once encounter that scenario where it gave us a spell...but didn't spawn a monster on a following round, as we were expecting it to.

So yeah, maybe that particular event is troubled with some buggy code that needs clean-up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dulcaoin wrote:
Brunnstag wrote:
We played our second game of Mansions of Madness last night,

[snip]

strange writing that will 'give you great power'. If you recite the script you get a spell. It was a Whither spell on our first play through.

[snip]

So last night during our second game, my husband gets to the table and searches it, bringing up the prompt to either recite the script or not. I tapped 'Recite the Script', and it just closed! No story moment, no spell, no nothing.

[snip]

Has anyone else had this happen?


Yeah, we saw this bug too. I never reported it because I didn't have the context available (little did I realize the Log would probably have done that for me at the time).

And I am definitely convinced it's a bug. Actions have consequences, and this app in particular is (almost over the top) always giving the story to you about the how why and when of things.



Aha! I felt the same way for sure- there hasn't been a single other event across the both games that didn't very specifically give story events no matter what happened! Now the question is, how to report it to them?

igknight wrote:
You on iOS or Android?

I have played that mission on my Android tablet and phone and haven't had that issue. The table gave me the card and monster both times.


We're on Android, the specific tablet was an Nvidia Shield. We didn't have the issue when we did the same thing on a Windows 10 PC the week before, but it seems sporadic as to whether it happens or not anyway.

Webhead123 wrote:
I haven't seen it happen quite like that before but I did once encounter that scenario where it gave us a spell...but didn't spawn a monster on a following round, as we were expecting it to.

So yeah, maybe that particular event is troubled with some buggy code that needs clean-up.


Ah, see that definitely makes me think that there must be something wrong with this particular event then.

EDIT: I sent an email to the support address listed on the App's page,and linked to the video and this thread, so hopefully they can investigate it further!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On my Android tablet, this encounter worked fine on the first play - got the spell and later had to deal with the monster. On a later play, we encountered the bug, so I ruled that we had effectively chosen to ignore the spell (since we didn't get it) and I just killed the monster off when it showed up, without ever putting it on the board. It's possible that this bug was introduced accidentally by one of the updates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I emailed FFG back on the 28th to notify them of the bug, linking them here, and to the video showing the bug occurring, and received this response this last Friday:

Quote:
Hey Brunn,

Thanks for your email regarding the Mansions of Madness app. I’ve looked into your issue and followed the thread that you linked, and I have successfully been able to find the source of the issue. This issue is in our queue, and should be resolved for our next available patch.

Regards,

Paul Klecker
FFG Software


So great! Should be fixed next patch then! It's really nice they took the time to actually look into my email, and even more so to reply, so tops to them for excellent customer service!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Result! Very nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.