Subject: New Exploration Cards article rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/133/carda...

Looks like all/most of them are faction-based, and intended to stir up conflict between players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not too late to change "renown" to "renowned" on "Cardassian Delegation"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/133/carda...

Looks like all/most of them are faction-based, and intended to stir up conflict between players.

the delegation one also encourages trade. well trade with the cardassians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards that immediately produce a rival starship in your sector could be real interesting if First Contact hasn't been made yet. That rival could potentially annex a planet deep in your territory and place a starbase. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
The cards that immediately produce a rival starship in your sector could be real interesting if First Contact hasn't been made yet. That rival could potentially annex a planet deep in your territory and place a starbase. surprise

That would be pretty foolish, since you'll almost certainly lose that starbase, or else you'll invest so much into protecting it that you won't be able to properly defend your own territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be risky, sure. But if that other player has had bad luck, you might be able to capitalize on it. At the very least, it will lead to an interesting decision or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that none of the cards are marked as belonging to a set.

I think it's assumed you just throw them into your decks and leave them. I'd like to have the option of easily pulling them out though.

Probably will be the same thing with Systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
It would be risky, sure. But if that other player has had bad luck, you might be able to capitalize on it. At the very least, it will lead to an interesting decision or two.

Well, you can't colonize a planet while a hostile ship is in the system. So you would need to destroy the "home" faction's ships before you could even start. So that's commands spent, and luck/favorable circumstances required, to win combat. Then you've got to spend the ship and resources to colonize the planet, and spend a command to build a starbase the next round, hoping that the home player doesn't get there with an invasion force by the end of the round (and you better believe if you've built a starbase there, they're triply incentivized to do so). Then, if. You still control the planet at the beginning of the next round, you can start building ships.

Meanwhile, you've demonstrated that you're a clear aggressor, and almost certainly put yourself in disfavor with the galactic political environment.

No, the better option is to either leave the ship there, allowing the home player to destroy it if they wish (spending a command and maybe losing ships), or else send it to warp, where it can come in handy later. That's much less likely to hurt you, politically, and requires a far smaller investment of resources.

If you're feeling especially magnanimous, you can even establish a trade agreement with the home player, using your ship's presence as a bargaining platform to get a better deal. "How badly do you want to colonize this planet next round?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armistice Accords - If this is drawn on Turn 1, before any Control Nodes are built by any players that can be exchanged, what happens? A non-Crisis Crisis?

"For the good of the galaxy, we have signed Armistice Accords with an alien species we have not yet met in First Contact. We have exchanged planets neither side has yet colonized. So it's more of a theoretical Accord, I guess. But yuge Crisis averted!"

-Federation President Tonald Drumpf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
Armistice Accords - If this is drawn on Turn 1, before any Control Nodes are built by any players that can be exchanged, what happens? A non-Crisis Crisis?

Logically, you cannot perform the indicated action, so you do not. Nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah,the build/command phases were where I was off. I forgot that it would take 2 turns to get new fleets in there since building the node and starbase would have to wait. Still, if that was the only enemy ship there, and reinforcements weren't nearby, I could see going for it. I'm a gambler. cool With enough production stockpiled, you could have a node, starbase, and decent-sized fleet in that sector by turn 2. And if the third faction was already encroaching on the other side of their territory, it would be tough for them to defend two fronts.

But you are right in that it would be tough. Far more likely, assuming it happens early, a trade agreement would be struck so those two factions could get a jump on the third. And that agreement might be enough to let that lone ship go about it's business... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
Jatta Pake wrote:

Logically, you cannot perform the indicated action, so you do not. Nothing happens.

Mister Spock, remind me to tell you that I'm sick and tired of your logic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.