14 Posts

Treasure Lair» Forums » General

Subject: introduction to Treasure Lair by the designers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Twietie
msg tools
designer
There is always a place for you at my gamingtable.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treasure Lair

What’s about?

Treasure Lair is a card game in which you assume the role of a quest-team leader. You gather a team of heroes to depart on a quest with the purpose of gaining treasure. But the road to success is perilous and many obstacles can hinder your way: monsters, dangerous encounters and the inherent dangers of the terrain itself. The setting is a familiar fantasy-world.

Gaming information

It’s a card game for 2 to 4 players. Once you are familiar with the game, it will take half an hour to complete a game, say 10 minutes pro player. It’s competitive and you will have some cards to hinder your opponent(s).

How the game works?

Without going to the details, the flow of the game goes as follows:

EYou set up the quests. Each quest will consist of a column of cards (6), with the treasure card at the bottom. The other cards represent the various dangers on the quests, named challenges. In the basic version of the game, one challenge will be hidden and the rest will be open, so you can strategically plan an approach.

EThere will be a constant pool of three available heroes. (2&4) There will be a total of 64 heroes, each unique with its own icons, cost and abilities.

EAll players start with a starting hero and tree gold pieces (1&3)
EAt the core of the game are the action cards(2&5) Each turn you must choose on from tree. A turn simply consists of taking an action card and executing it.

EAn action card gives you a main action, described on the card itself and a fixed set of tree secondary actions. The main actions may vary from “Take a secret look at the hidden challenge in a quest. Then gain 1 gold.” to “Draw 1 hero and recruit it for free.” There are 30 action-cards. Each kind appears twice or trice in the deck.

EThe secondary actions are: “Gain 1 gold” , ”Recruit heroes.” and “Begin a quest.” The last one is the aim of the game. You choose a quest-column and try to defy the challenges by sending in heroes with icons matching the one’s on the challenge-cards. The hidden challenge will be a surprise.

EAfter defeating all challenge-cards, you get the treasure card, giving you the needed victory points. The game will start its end-phase when someone gets a certain amount of treasure-points. This figure depends on the number of players.

Good to know

EAfter a couple of games, we suggest you to try out “The Hidden Quests”-optional rule, as stated in the rulebook. It sure spices things up.

EYou will grasp the core-game mechanic in a couple of minutes. But each hero is unique and that will take some to master. Also they are different main actions. They differ and there is no “all-time-golden action card”. Sometimes you need extra money, sometimes a special effect can save the day. You will find some interesting combo’s, but each set of challenges will require a different approach.

EIt’s quest-racing game. Not a player versus player duel. There are some cards to hinder your opponent, but your main job will be to quest successfully and as profitably as possible.

This might be your game if you are looking for…
Ea compact card game for half an hour
Ean easy to learn game, but with depth
Eclassical fantasy questing and treasure gaining
Ea game where choices do matter and where you are obliged to make do with what you have

Arno Maesen & Fréderic Moyersoen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwin Hebot
msg tools
Hey, thanks for this first look of the game. I have a few questions regarding the quests:
* Do you have to beat each challenge card of a quest in one turn? If not, can other players complete your quest?
* I assume that to beat a challenge you have to have heros with symbols matching those of the challenge. Are the symbols used up, or can a hero contribute their symbol to fight multiple challenge cards?
* What happens to you heros once you solved a quest? Are they tired and need to rest before going on another quest?

Or you could just upload rules and I will figure it out myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Twietie
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhew wrote:
Hey, thanks for this first look of the game. I have a few questions regarding the quests:
* Do you have to beat each challenge card of a quest in one turn?Yes If not, can other players complete your quest? No, in case of a failed quest, you discard the complete column and form an new one
* I assume that to beat a challenge you have to have heros with symbols matching those of the challenge. Are the symbols used up, or can a hero contribute their symbol to fight multiple challenge cards?Yes, to the last part of your second sentence. A hero participating in your quest, can use his icon(s) for different challenge-cards.
* What happens to you heros once you solved a quest? Are they tired and need to rest before going on another quest? All heroes participating in a quest, succesfull or not, must be discarded.Imagine: you hire heroes, you don't own them.

Or you could just upload rules and I will figure it out myself
All your questions in this thread are easily answered witht the rulebook (20 pages). For uploading the rules I will ask it at the publisher AEG. I can not promise you this at the moment

Thank you for your interest in the gamelaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Twietie
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those going to Essen and who are interessed:
Saturday 15 octobre between 12u-14u at the AEG-stand:
I will give a demo of the game and will be happy to answer all your question face to face.

I speak Nederlands, English, français, und ein bisschen Deutsch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Twietie
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find the rulebook upload at the file section,Marwin.

At your service laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwin Hebot
msg tools
Thanks. I am reading it right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

After reading over your breakdown of the game and turns I was left with some deja vu that I have seen this same implementation in Boss Monster. How would you say your game is different and/or better than Boss Monster? Personally, I did not like Boss Monster because the rules were poorly written, artwork and quality of the cards could have been better and the flow of the game seemed clunky. AEG certainly has much higher quality standards for components and written rules; I have Smash Up and I enjoy playing it.

One last question I have is will there be a solo rules variant included?

Thanks

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Twietie
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brtst11 wrote:
Hi!

After reading over your breakdown of the game and turns I was left with some deja vu that I have seen this same implementation in Boss Monster. How would you say your game is different and/or better than Boss Monster? Personally, I did not like Boss Monster because the rules were poorly written, artwork and quality of the cards could have been better and the flow of the game seemed clunky. AEG certainly has much higher quality standards for components and written rules; I have Smash Up and I enjoy playing it.

One last question I have is will there be a solo rules variant included?

Thanks

Brian

a) I've never played Boss Monster, but after reading somethings on BGG, I can point out some differences, indicating that Boss Monster and TL are two different games, sharing the fantasy setting of a quest:
1) In TL you play the part of the "dungeoneers" not the "dungeon-master" So your job is to beat the quest,not to build it up
2) the challenge-que in TL is build up by the game system, not the players
3)TL has more cards (200 to 155)
4)I don't like the 8bit-approach. Not in boardgames, not in cardgames and not in pc- or tablet-games. I grew up with them but I don't have nostalgic feelings about them. But that is totally personal.
5)The artwork and the rulebook of TL totally responds to what we (Fréderic and I) as authors wanted. AEG has been consulting us until the last moment. Numerous e-mails went by in the proces. That's why it is a rather long rulebook (20 pages) for a rather short game (30 minutes). We put much effort in cardtexts and the rulebook. I'm a newbie in game-designing but Fréderic has been published many times and he knows the "do's" and "don'ts". I'm a game-critic and publish frequently on a Belgian website "Speloordeel". I pay much attention to rulebooks when evaluating games. I learn all the games I own (over 500) by the book. A good rulebook is a rulebook that puts you on playing the game without logging in to the internet. We sincerely tried to achieve this. (*)
5) I think TL has a more "classic" approach to the fantasy quest.
6)Any other comment would be without value because I have not played Boss Monster. And never ask a game-designer if his "baby" is cutter than the other ones. Every parent loves his own child and if he is reasonably he knows any other parent lives with the same concept.

b) At this moment there are no solo-rules available. But I was already thinking about it. Including campaign-rules, translations in Dutch, German, French. I will be observing things on the TL-post here. If there are several people asking this, I will take it in consideration. But I won't promise things I can't realise. And I have to agree in this matters with my co-designer and AEG. So the short answer is "No, but it could happen."

c) I own "Smash up!" too and I like it pretty much. So, I think TL will fit your taste.

(*) Nevertheless I will try to check this BGG-post daily to answer your questions as good as possible. The customer is King. Always. Anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank You for the detailed AND quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks fantastic, and as a solo gamer, I think a solitaire variant is very doable. If you do create a variant we can post it to BGG's 1 Player Guild and it will reach thousands of solo gamers. Let us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Twietie
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do have plans considering a solo-variant. We will keep you informed on this forum. This will take some time.
Thank you for your attention and patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPTNTWT wrote:
We do have plans considering a solo-variant. We will keep you informed on this forum. This will take some time.
Thank you for your attention and patience.

Subscribed! Can't wait!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says use a hero's ability icon or special power. For the Woodland Sniper above, since it is a passive, recurring special power, can you never use his ability icon? When would he be discarded?

And if an instant power is used, is the hero discarded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When the woodland sniper participates in a quest, he uses his icon power and is discarded at the end of the quest.

An instant power doesn't discard the hero. Participating in quest discards the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.