Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has Been asked before.

My flgs has thanked me many Times for bringing new games, mostly in english to their friday nights.

Now i am thinking of scythe. King size hot-dogs and beers.

I have played with 2, under two Hours, when i got The game.

And many Times against The automa, 45mns more or less.

So How long do you think it would be with 5?

Should i restrict to 3 or 4 players first? Knowing that players would be english speaking frenchies.

Your input would be much appreciated before i bring scythe to The table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience so far has been about 40 minutes per player (not including setup and teaching), slightly more with new players and/or high AP players, somewhat less with all experienced players.

So in your case, 3 1/2 hours would be my guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you have a player who is very very slow (which can happen) most of my 5-player games have been 2 - 2 1/2 hours. There was a situation recently where a friend of mine had a game that went almost 4 hours, but there was one trouble player who seriously dragged out the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 5 players I would highly emphasize the rule that the next player can take their top action while the current player completes their bottom action. If the next player wants to wait for the previous player's bottom action to be done, they can, but default to overlapping turns. It goes much quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Unless you have a player who is very very slow (which can happen) most of my 5-player games have been 2 - 2 1/2 hours. There was a situation recently where a friend of mine had a game that went almost 4 hours, but there was one trouble player who seriously dragged out the game.

This was my experience with a 5P game of everyone's first time playing but one person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for The Quick replies.

I know There's not much language dependency (some cards) but i think i might stick with 4 players to start with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With many new players, I'd also estimate 3+ hours. I had a 5p session with 3 new players and even with me prompting the turn overlap it took that long. With experience, play times will drop (my son and I can knock out a session in under an hour sometimes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is a player determined game length. I've played 4 and 5 player games in 2 hours, but also had a 5 player game last about 3 with 3 new players. That situation I attribute to 2 players being guilty of the 2 things people have listed: 1. Long turns from not planning their turn during down time and 2. Not taking overlapping bottom-top actions, though it probably would have helped if they had paid attention to when the person before them was done too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 games under my belt (4 et 5 players).

All in 2 hours or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moretheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say 2 1/2 hours if you have gamers who have played a lot of more complex games, even at 5 players. Plus setup/teardown.

Teaching one player or teaching several takes the same amount of time. When you answer a question for one player, all the new players will learn from it. For regular games the 2 hours on the box has been pretty close for us, no matter if it has been 3 or 5 players.

But I've had two games go longer, more like 3 and 3 1/2 hours, with 5 players including learners and a really slow really slow learner each time.

At this point, after 19 games, I think you want to know your audience. If someone isn't already comfortable with more complex games, I would only do 2 player as a learning game. Maybe 3 max, but you risk turning off the other player because the game won't flow.

Also I'd try to get them to watch the Rodney Smith Watch It Played video (https://boardgamegeek.com/video/100963/scythe/scythe-how-pla...). It will make the explanation and first turn go far more smoothly and be less overwhelming for the players.

The video has a bonus function too: I had a potential player decide not to play after all after watching it. They asked for something a bit new player friendlier in spite of having some gaming experience. And you know what? I think that was the right call. The video is very straightforward and if they think it is going to be too much for them, they'd probably enjoy a less complex game more even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
At this point, after 19 games

I am jealous....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moretheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
fortheloveofdice wrote:

I am jealous....
One of my gaming buddies is up to 25! I think I'm going to try the unofficial solo campaign which could make my count spike.

It plays well from 1 to 5 players. At 1 player you can add two artificial opponents if you make an extra deck and in 2 player you can add one anyway. It plays well without the extra opponents but I find 3+ characters on the board is the most fun.

I hope you manage to get some (more?) games in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mbmb
I clocked a demo game at my local place, 2 experienced players and three newbies which only took a bit under two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
fortheloveofdice wrote:

I am jealous....

So play more!

I'm at 19 myself. Of course, I cheated & have been playing since the PnP files were available last November. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 hour 10 mins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
So play more!

I'm at 19 myself. Of course, I cheated & have been playing since the PnP files were available last November. whistle

I don't own my copy yet (French version will be there only on November...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:

Ditto to this, although games where everyone is experienced with Scythe and we remember to start our turn during the previous player's bottom-row action tend to be significantly faster. I've had 5p games go as long as 4 hours (with 2 newbies, one of whom had terrible AP) and a few go as short as 1.5 hours.

Also depends if Saxony is rushing stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
claudermilk wrote:
So play more!

I don't own my copy yet (French version will be there only on November...).

Excuses, excuses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Weaponise Demons - For a brighter tomorrow!
badge
The road to Hell is paved - by Argent energy
mbmbmbmbmb
2 - 2 1/2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fern Bymob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played once with 5 players (2 were new and the other 3 had played 2 games) it took us 3.5 hours.

In my case, the estimate of 40 minutes per player seems good. (From what Dave Moser suggested above)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a learning game with five players--all of us new--and it ended in 1.5 hours... I might have been a bit overzealous as Saxony and rushed the end of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
I played a learning game with five players--all of us new--and it ended in 1.5 hours... I might have been a bit overzealous as Saxony and rushed the end of the game...

Well...that's kind of what Saxony does. whistle Though rushing the stars is not always the best path (as my son learned to his chagrin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Annowme wrote:

Well...that's kind of what Saxony does. whistle Though rushing the stars is not always the best path (as my son learned to his chagrin).

Clearly. I lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.