Subject: Do these illustrations/icons make sense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Hey guys so im designing the artwork for action cards in my game. I am relatively happy with most of them but some of them i feel like they just suck and don't really portray the action very well. I need more eyes on them and maybe some ideas on how to improve on them. They aren't small icons but rather centerpiece artwork on poker sized cards but I would like to keep them iconic while maintaining the theme of the game which is medieval thieving. Pardon the crappy quality and crappy drawing lol

Action Cards

Pickpocket

Pick a Lock

Hide in the Shadows

Impersonate

Elaborate Plan

Special Actions

Discard All Skill Cards

Discard Card From Hand (for this one is hate the current icon)

Steal Card From Hand (Also not very happy with this one)

Steal Treasure

Prevent Steal

Steal Skill Card (also not very happy with this one)

Negate Special Action

Double Skill (this one is not bad but could be better)

Destroy Treasure

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, these are pretty awesome for rough sketches! I was wowed with how many of them were very clear and easy to understand. Here's the four I had trouble with:

discard all skill cards
discard card from hand
steal card from hand
steal skill card

Seems like you need a specific concept for a 'Skill card' and a specific concept for 'from hand' -- and then just work those into the real artwork. Maybe skill card could be some sort of artifact? Then 'from hand' could literally be stealing it from someone's hand. . .

Just some thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Wow, these are pretty awesome for rough sketches! I was wowed with how many of them were very clear and easy to understand. Here's the four I had trouble with:

discard all skill cards
discard card from hand
steal card from hand
steal skill card

Seems like you need a specific concept for a 'Skill card' and a specific concept for 'from hand' -- and then just work those into the real artwork. Maybe skill card could be some sort of artifact? Then 'from hand' could literally be stealing it from someone's hand. . .

Just some thoughts

I agree. Here are some ideas...

Discard all skill cards - a pair of empty hands, palms up
Discard card from hand - a weapon flying from a hand as if it was just struck
Steal card from hand - hands wrestling over a weapon
Steal skill card... I think your concept is alright, maybe just rework it a little.

Some of my favorites:
Elaborate Plan
Steal Treasure
Prevent Steal
Destroy Treasure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
aaj94 wrote:

discard all skill cards
discard card from hand
steal card from hand
steal skill card

Just some thoughts

Thank you I like that approach, ill try to think of some using that method

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Soleia wrote:
aaj94 wrote:

discard all skill cards
discard card from hand
steal card from hand
steal skill card

Just some thoughts

I agree. Here are some ideas...

Discard all skill cards - a pair of empty hands, palms up
Discard card from hand - a weapon flying from a hand as if it was just struck
Steal card from hand - hands wrestling over a weapon
Steal skill card... I think your concept is alright, maybe just rework it a little.

Some of my favorites:
Elaborate Plan
Steal Treasure
Prevent Steal
Destroy Treasure

thanks for the suggestions I will try to draw them and see what they end up as

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. For Steal Skill Card maybe have a hand reaching into a pocket.

Edit: Oops I see you already have a pickpocket card. Maybe a hand reaching into a backpack instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
bill437 wrote:
Looks good. For Steal Skill Card maybe have a hand reaching into a pocket.

Edit: Oops I see you already have a pickpocket card. Maybe a hand reaching into a backpack instead.

sorry i should have probably mentioned a little bit about the game, maybe that can give people more ideas

in the game you hold cards in your hand which are called action cards. You also have a face down deck of treasures that get revealed one by one each round. When a player wins a treasure he places it face up in front of him. This is called the "Treasures in Possession".

The Action Cards are split into two kinds. There are Skill Cards (the first 5 pictures) which are used to essentially bid on treasures that come up randomly and there are also Special Actions that are used to perform some type of action. So the special actions can affect a number of things. For example, steal treasure special action applied to those Treasures in Possession that everyone sees in front of each player. As opposed to that, the Steal Card from Hand special action only applies to somebody's hand while Steal Skill Card only applies to Skill Cards in play (already on the table basically)

So i am trying to think of it like this
treasures in your possession - represented as yours in some way
treasures that are being fought over and are not possessed by any player - represented as nobody's
action cards in your hand - represented as the equipment/skills that you have not used. So they are stashed in some way
action cards on the table/in play - represented as equipment or skills being utilized in that moment or a moment after

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The drawing for "pick a lock" looks anachronistic to me. I doubt pin-and-tumbler locks existed in medieval times. Whatever type of mechanism they used, they probably would not use a modern pick and tension bar set to open them.

Most of the illustrations are absolutely awesome. The ones that don't immediately "click" for me are:

Discard all skill cards (maybe someone getting conked on the head -> amnesia leads to loss of skills)

Discard card from hand (how about a medieval 3-card monte dealer dropping a card?)

Steal card from hand and Steal skill(I got nuthin' for these right now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
cool username wrote:
The drawing for "pick a lock" looks anachronistic to me. I doubt pin-and-tumbler locks existed in medieval times. Whatever type of mechanism they used, they probably would not use a modern pick and tension bar set to open them.

Most of the illustrations are absolutely awesome. The ones that don't immediately "click" for me are:

Discard all skill cards (maybe someone getting conked on the head -> amnesia leads to loss of skills)

Discard card from hand (how about a medieval 3-card monte dealer dropping a card?)

ooooh the knock out on the head is really awesome idea! thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
cool username wrote:

for discard card from hand how would you feel if it was an open hand with a thief's tool falling down and the arm being hit by either a leg or a stick/club of some sort (so kind of similar to prevent steal)

also great observation about the lock and lockpicks, i will have to do a bit more research for that. I guess i was kind of thinking of Skyrim lockpicking when drawing that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3CreativeMinds wrote:

for discard card from hand how would you feel if it was an open hand with a thief's tool falling down and the arm being hit by either a leg or a stick/club of some sort (so kind of similar to prevent steal)

That sounds like it would work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
so i did some digging on wikipedia and found these

warded lock mechanism was widely used
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warded_lock

and reading in the vulnerabilities section i noticed Skeleton Key (or master key) so that could be another tool for the thieves for the illustrations instead of lockpicks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_key

but i also found that pad locks were even more ancient design
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padlock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3CreativeMinds wrote:
so i did some digging on wikipedia and found these

warded lock mechanism was widely used
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warded_lock

and reading in the vulnerabilities section i noticed Skeleton Key (or master key) so that could be another tool for the thieves for the illustrations instead of lockpicks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_key

but i also found that pad locks were even more ancient design
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padlock

The picture on this page of a set of skeleton keys might be good to use for an example. Any of those look more like an illicit tool versus our notion of the classic k-shaped skeleton key (which in medieval times would probably be what any "normal" key looked like).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vodopia

tempe
Arizona (AZ)
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is quick sketch for discard a card.
I used a bit of iconography with the arrow, but it could be used if themed well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Here is mine take on some of them. Just a quick sketches because picture is telling 1000 words. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
Here is mine take on some of them. Just a quick sketches because picture is telling 1000 words. XD

Chris and Bojan
thank you so much for taking your time to make those awesome sketches! I am definitely liking your ideas in terms of concept and composition! Great help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a bit weird for me here are that some of the concepts are very thematic, while others are very abstract. The thematic concepts have intuitive icons, while the abstract concepts... less so. Maybe if you could better theme some of the concepts that are still very abstract, that could point the way to better icons for them?

On the other hand, if trying to theme them doesn't really make sense, maybe more abstract iconography would be better.

For an example of the first method, you could rename "discard all skill cards" as "seize assets" and show a cart full of tools driving away from a sad figure. People will very quickly learn that "seize assets" actually means "discard skill cards" - but makes it easy to remember, and easy to recognize the icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
thats a good point too. That can potentially help me create appropriate illustrations. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Are you making a Thief? Icons you drew had that Thief vibe. :}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
Are you making a Thief? Icons you drew had that Thief vibe. :}

actually im making this game
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1637672/new-card-game-proto...

i didnt get much feedback on that thread though lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
hey guys so i have made a lot of changes to the game which make it quite a bit better. One of the changes was done to the special action cards.

I now have

Steal Treasure - original
Negate Action - original
Double Skills - original
Discard All Skills - original
Steal Card From Hand - original
Steal Skill Card - original

Replenish Hand - new special action that allows a player to draw 2 new action cards during a round

Redirect Action - new special action that allows you to redirect an offensive special action played towards any other player except for the original one.

Hide Treasure - similar to my previous Destroy Treasure, except now instead of discarding the treasure it is prevented from being acquired this round and is left on the table for the next round. In the next round whoever wins gets both the hidden treasure AND that round's treasure.
* so far i have 3 ideas for this one:
1. A treasure chest that looks like it's fading away in a somewhat magical manner
2. A more pirate approach. A treasure box in a dug up hole with a shovel throwing soil over it.
3. A treasure chest being masked by twigs and shrubs but still somewhat visible in a few places

So changing those few special actions created more challenges on how to illustrate them without using iconic or abstract imagery. I am wondering if any of you have a good idea of what I can draw to clearly represent "Replenish Hand", "Hide Treasure", and "Redirect Action" special action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
ohh one more thing, i guess the biggest challenge in this instance is that the game is in no way about killing or being assassins. It is all about stealing only. So that's what makes it a bit difficult to illustrate things like "Redirect". If this was an assassin type of game, i could easily make some type of ricochet illustration but unfortunately that can't work in my theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.