Subject: recommend me some niche games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hulk can see ghosts, breathe underwater, and survive a nuclear bomb.
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCSE5I0Wp7c
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG. Looking for your top 3 Stephan Feld, Uwe rosenberg, and Dr. Knizia games specifically for 2 players. Also... looking for something, that is in print, that I can get my 4 year old into that is like "Go fish" but not lame... Light on rules, basic but hopefully good. Trying to teach him patience and how to play properly. We have spot it, animal upon animal, sneaky snacky squirrel, etc. and was looking for something very close to go fish if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
The best 2 player game also happens to be a Knizia game.

Battle Line (or Schotten Totten, since they are the same game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feld - Castles of Burgundy
Rosenberg - Patchwork
Knizia - Battle Line, Lost Cities, Samurai, Carcassonne: The Castle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of your three designers, Feld holds the highest place in my collection, with AquaSphere being the best, then Trajan, followed by Bora Bora. About equal with Bora Bora is Rosenberg's Caverna: The Cave Farmers. I also hear his 2-player Fields of Arle is excellent, but I haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Castles of Burgundy. It plays 2-4, but scales amazingly for 2, 3 or 4 players. It's one of my most played 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your 4-year-old consider Sushi Go! - Set collection, cards. Somewhat "Go-Fishy". Big hit with my nieces and nephews.

This might be a stretch, but Love Letter is another possibility. I haven't tried it with anyone that young, but I think once they were familiar with the function of each card, they shouldn't have trouble with it.

As for the designers mentioned, I haven't played enough range from each of them to say which is best, but I specifically seek out games that are good with two since I play mostly with my husband. We have and enjoy the following:

Fields of Arle - specifically 2 player and I've heard not all of Rosenberg's are that great with two.
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - speaking of 2 player Rosenbergs... I love this one for a short but thinky game.

San Juan - lots of fun, again this one is geared toward 2, though goes up to 4.

Lost Cities - Knizia 2 player with lots of tension in a simple format. You may like Battle Line better, but I am yet to try that one so I can't say which I'd prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I can fully contribute to the Heavyweight discussion...I have several of Feld's games but the only one that gets played is The Castles of Burgundy (Rialto and Aquasphere remain in their shrink). Fields of Arle went over for us like a lead balloon.
As for gaming with a four year old, I strongly recommend Outfoxed. It's a role and move game but entertaining for adults as well. We also began playing King of Tokyo with my daughter at the same age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three best Knizias that work well with 2:

Samurai

Battle Line (2 only)

Ra. Yes, this actually does work well with two. But it is awesome when you have 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Games my now 6-year old son enjoyed when he was 4 (none of which are like Go Fish - sorry):

Turbo Rally
The Secret Door
Robot Turtles
Gumball Rally
The Enchanted Tower
Checkers
Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would go with Battle Line / Schotten Totten and/or Lost Cities, both by Knizia. Both are 2 player games which are easy to learn, and are portable.

Lost Cities also has a board game version, which I believe was released after the card version. The board game version supports more than 2 players and is does a great job of capturing the feel and essence of the card game in a 3-4 player format. Personally, I prefer the card game version though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think most of the games mentioned would probably be a little difficult for a 4 year old to understand...

for that age, I would recommend:

Chicken Cha Cha Cha
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise - might have to house rule it, but could work.
Welcome to the Dungeon - I think this might work if you used counters for hit points..
Dixit - If you house rule it, it might be playable by a 4 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why you want games from these particular designers, considering that none of them is famous for children's games. In fact, I don't think Feld and Uwe have anything suitable for a four-year old. Knizia, prolific as he is, probably has, but I have nothing specific in mind. Maybe some of his Lego games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I don't know why you want games from these particular designers, considering that none of them is famous for children's games. In fact, I don't think Feld and Uwe have anything suitable for a four-year old. Knizia, prolific as he is, probably has, but I have nothing specific in mind. Maybe some of his Lego games?

Maybe I'm wrong but I got the impression the recommendation for a children's game was separate from the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
GSReis wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but I got the impression the recommendation for a children's game was separate from the others.

Yes. I've just had some ideas running around my brain the past few days and been super busy. Figured i wouldn't make a bunch of posts to get my few questions answered.

Some great kids recommendations.
I've heard of so many just couldn't reecall them all at once. I am wondering when mice and mystics will be good to introduce him to...

So Looks like Battleline is one I have to look into, castles of burgundy I played once, long time ago, might give it another go around.

Anyone tried Ra or Bruges 2 player. I own lost cities (Should have caveated... love that game). Love the bora bora theme too... might have to see that.

Thanks for all the replies. Anyone tried any of the lego board games too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case... For young children and "not lame", I can recommend Château Roquefort and Dawn Under. The memory element usually goes well with them.

About games specific for two players, by designer:

Feld: I own only Roma and Arena: Roma II. They are good, but not great.

Uwe Rosenberg: I like Babel quite a bit, despite the randomness. I was underwhelmed by Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small.

Knizia: Blue Moon Legends and Carcassonne: The Castle (I think this one is OOP) are by far my favorites, but Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is also pretty good. Battle Line left me cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jinxstar wrote:
I am wondering when mice and mystics will be good to introduce him to...
All kids are different of course, but I've found Mice and Mystics (as well as King of Tokyo, suggested above) to be less kid friendly than one would assume. With my kids at least, I've had a much higher success rate with true kids games. As they've gotten older, they've started to show a little more interest in the "real" games. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Lee
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoyed Bruges with two. Most of the Feld games I've played scale fairly well for two, which is how I mostly play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your 4yo, may I suggest Sherlock? Cool card-driven game that will get him thinking and won't bore you. (I have the deluxe version that comes with a cute mini.)

For Rosenberg, I recommend Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and Patchwork, both exclusively 2-player. Bigger, longer games could be Glass Road and At the Gates of Loyang, both of which play very well 2P. (Many highly recommend Fields of Arle but that looks so massive and fiddly to me that I know I'll never play it.)

For Knizia, I like the usual suggestions of Carcassonne: The Castle, Lost Cities, Battle Line, Samurai and others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Regarding kids' games, Max is terrific. Knizia's Ribbit is great, too. Neither is like Go Fish, however. Maybe look into Gamewright's Golf spin-off, Rat-a-Tat Cat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Martinovich
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Will look into many of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
Jinxstar wrote:
I am wondering when mice and mystics will be good to introduce him to...
All kids are different of course, but I've found Mice and Mystics (as well as King of Tokyo, suggested above) to be less kid friendly than one would assume. With my kids at least, I've had a much higher success rate with true kids games. As they've gotten older, they've started to show a little more interest in the "real" games. Good luck and have fun!

Our daughter started playing Mice & Mystics when she was about 5 1/2. She's 9 now and still loves the game. Our son is 4 now, and he enjoys playing with us (especially rolling the dice), but he doesn't quite have the attention span for a full game. He often starts playing with us, but will decide that he wants to go do something else partway through (which is fine, I just take over his character). Depending on what the rest of your family wants to do, you could either keep playing without the 4yo, or stop and start and leave it set up until you're ready to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
A gamier game my son loved when he was 4/5 and we just brought out and played yesterday is: Gubs. He is far more competitive at it now, but back then we would play it endlessly.

I played Mice and Mystics with my son at 4, and it worked, sort of, as long as I focused on the story, I handled all the rules, and I played 3 character to his one. I also found it worked better if we always won as he didn't really want to replay the same scenario over and over. He is almost nine now and we play two characters each. It definitely works better now.

We also played lots of Froggy Boogie and Pengaloo when he was four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.