Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pounce rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have two questions regarding Pounce Ability:

1. If there are only 2 spaces between me and the monster, can I pounce?
Does it make the third space of the movement lost, as I can't move on the monster? But I gain +1 str? Or I can't move just two spaces and this would cause a collision?

2. Can I Pounce over the monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:
I have two questions regarding Pounce Ability:

1. If there are only 2 spaces between me and the monster, can I pounce?
Does it make the third space of the movement lost, as I can't move on the monster? But I gain +1 str? Or I can't move just two spaces and this would cause a collision?

2. Can I Pounce over the monster?

IIRC, the Pounce ability says something like "Activate Pounce to move up to 3 spaces in a straight line. If you moved 3 spaces, you may attack an adjacent target with +1 strength." If that recollection is accurate, I think the answers are:

1. If you don't move three spaces, you don't get the +1 strength.

2. You cannot pounce over a monster, because the Pounce ability uses the term "move." All normal movement rules would apply, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
DavidT wrote:

1. If you don't move three spaces, you don't get the +1 strength.

In addition you'd also lose the attack connected to pounce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Quarmby
Australia
flag msg tools
...but remember you have more than three movement points. So step back for one then three in a straight line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Pounce makes you spend both Movement and Activation, so to move before that you would have to Dash (or Surge with Double Dash, or something similar). Actually, you will probably want to save those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Quarmby
Australia
flag msg tools
True but does not need to use Dash. The rules for movement allow use of your movement points. The Pounce does not say 'reduce movement to 3 then try to use it'. It says if you use three in a straight line...
I don' have card in front of me but it seems logical...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Living Glossary wrote:

Pounce
A gear special rule. Spend
and
to move 3 spaces forward in a straight line and activate a melee weapon. This attack gains +1 strength.

If you spend a
to get in position, how can you pounce?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mquarmby wrote:
True but does not need to use Dash. The rules for movement allow use of your movement points. The Pounce does not say 'reduce movement to 3 then try to use it'. It says if you use three in a straight line...

The activation of Pounce does not trigger a normal movement. To use the card, you must spend 1 Move + 1 Activation to "Pounce." A "Pounce" is to move up to three spaces (only) in a straight line, and attack if you moved three spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
mquarmby wrote:

The activation of Pounce does not trigger a normal movement. To use the card, you must spend 1 Move + 1 Activation to "Pounce." A "Pounce" is to move up to three spaces (only) in a straight line, and attack if you moved three spaces.

thumbsup This is correct. Instead of spending your movement to move 5 spaces your spending it to activate pounce which lets you move 3 spaces. You have to find a different way to reposition your char.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...something I noticed could be argued because of this thread, but I assume isn't the intent? If you want to move 1 forward, you could move 1 back and 2 forward, all along a straight line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VASILEIOS KOURTIS
Greece
flag msg tools
Actually the best way to reposition for a pounce is to use a Dash action, but to be correct make sure you keep one of the two starting actions (Activation and Movement), as you can't use 2 survival points to activate pounce. You have to use the Movement generated by Dash or Activation generated by Surge at the instance you use the survival point. So lets say you use your Movement to move 3 spaces away from your target, then you use 1 survival point to Dash and generate 1 Movement that you can use at that instance together with the Activation you have left to Pounce... and BINGO!

While if you have used both Activation and Movement for your turn you can't use 2 survival points to Dash (generating Movement) and Surge (generating Activation) and use Pounce as the Movement and Activation generated MUST be spend the moment they are generated so they can't exist on the same time... I hope I didn't confuse you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
...something I noticed could be argued because of this thread, but I assume isn't the intent? If you want to move 1 forward, you could move 1 back and 2 forward, all along a straight line.

Living Glossary wrote:

Pounce
A gear special rule. Spend
and
to move 3 spaces forward in a straight line and activate a melee weapon. This attack gains +1 strength.

I don't think you could justify '3 forward' as 1 backward and 2 forward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, the problem is that the wording in the Living Glossary and the wording on the card are slightly different.

I don't have the card with me now, but it says something like "Move 3 spaces in a straight line. If you moved three spaces, activate a weapon to attack". In other words, it is spelled as if you could do the forward/backward trick.

The Living Glossary changes two things:
1. It specifies that you need to move forward
2. It does not force you to move exactly 3 spaces (or at least, it is not specified as exactly).

Now, the rules lawyer in me says that you should trust the living glossary and not the printed version, as in most recent, but it could be argued that the living glossary is updated, yes (and lots of abilities from expansions are still missing), but is not part of the FAQ.

So... who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant is "It does not enforce the correlation between moving three spaces and activating the weapon".

Example in a scenario:
blankPPPPP
WWblankblankblankblank
WWblankblankblankblank
blankblankSblankblankblank

(P= Toppled Pillar, W= White Lion, S = Survivor, blanks= empty spaces, North on top)

With card rules of Pounce:
If you go straight forward, you either move three spaces West and can't reach (Melee, Reach:1) the White Lion, or you move two spaces North, end your movement because of the Toppled Pillar, and cannot attack the WL because it says explicitly "if you moved three spaces, activate a weapon".
If you use the "one back, two forward" workaround, you can of course attack either from West or from North.

With Living Glossary rules of Pounce:
If you go North, you move two spaces and are blocked by Impassable terrain, so you stop. Now, since it does NOT say "if you moved three spaces", I don't see anything stopping you from activating a weapon and attacking.

Like I said before, I may be wrong, but this is what I meant

EDIT: straightened the Scrabblify of the scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it really has to be either/or with respect to the card text and the glossary definition. We have both texts as a reference, so the best thing to do is use all of that information to determine the intent.

Read together and in harmony, the two texts indicate (a) the movement must be forward and in a straight line, and (b) the survivor may only attack if he/she moved exactly three spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.