Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Only read the rules so far, and I'm unclear about discarding at the end of your turn. Do you only discard your played cards and then draw up to 5; or do you discard everything, played and left in your hand, and draw a new hand of 5?

The wording in the rules seems to go either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like any other deckbuilding game. you discard unplayed cards and draw a new hand. the wording is far from ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
It's like any other deckbuilding game. you discard unplayed cards and draw a new hand. the wording is far from ambiguous.

The wording says to discard "played cards" and doesn't mention cards left in hand. It does say no resources are carried over to the next turn but I wasn't sure if that only meant the tokens.

In Eminent Domain, you can keep cards in your hand for the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fair question, and I agree the wording could have been more clear.

However, as I was not interrupted mid-colonic to answer your question, the previous response should be given more credibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the same rules ambiguity. It's a shame they didn't specifically say to discard cards in your hand as well.

They do say "you cannot save cards for your next turn", which is a weaker statement, but seems to confirm that their intent is that you must discard everything at the end of your turn.

So I agree with Adelin's conclusion, but disagree about the ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Z
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood it as you had to discard your entire hand at the end of each turn; either discarding cards as you use their effect or discarding unused cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I noticed the same rules ambiguity. It's a shame they didn't specifically say to discard cards in your hand as well.

They do say "you cannot save cards for your next turn", which is a weaker statement, but seems to confirm that their intent is that you must discard everything at the end of your turn.

Yes, the intent is that you discard any unused cards remaining in hand, and then draw a new hand of 5 cards. That is how it is phrased on the Turn Order card, but I understand how the phrasing in the rules is a little unclear. Thanks for mentioning it. It is something we will take a look at for future printings of the game.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:
peakhope wrote:

Yes, the intent is that you discard any unused cards remaining in hand, and then draw a new hand of 5 cards. That is how it is phrased on the Turn Order card, but I understand how the phrasing in the rules is a little unclear. Thanks for mentioning it. It is something we will take a look at for future printings of the game.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

Don't you actually "play" all the cards in your hand for an effect unless another effect allows/causes you to "discard" a card from your hand for an effect? I don't think you play cards from your hand and then discard the same cards at the end of your turn since some cards have different effects for playing than they have for discarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

When are there any "unplaced cards" unless you can or have to discard them due to another effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
Don't you actually "play" all the cards in your hand for an effect unless another effect allows/causes you to "discard" a card from your hand for an effect?

Sometimes I would prefer not to play a card, so I have been treating it as optional. In game 1, an example would be a card that generates an attack plus allows me to draw a card. The villain might already be defeated, so the attack would be useless. Depending on what I suspect is going to be in my next hand, or when a shuffle might be triggered, I might prefer NOT to draw a card this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
RHPDaddy wrote:
Don't you actually "play" all the cards in your hand for an effect unless another effect allows/causes you to "discard" a card from your hand for an effect?

Sometimes I would prefer not to play a card, so I have been treating it as optional. In game 1, an example would be a card that generates an attack plus allows me to draw a card. The villain might already be defeated, so the attack would be useless. Depending on what I suspect is going to be in my next hand, or when a shuffle might be triggered, I might prefer NOT to draw a card this turn.

You don't get to keep it in your hand and save it so you might as well play it. In fact the rules even say "so it is advisable to use everything each turn." But I do see that you may not want to (and don't have to) play a card in your hand I just don't see any reference to that in the rules and I don't think you can discard any unplayed cards for their discard effect since the rules specify when you do get to do that and that's not one of the situations.

I am starting to wonder how much playtesting was done. But it seems to me there is an important difference between "play", "discard", "place in discard pile"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Teixeira
United States
Stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Andrew,

So let's say I have 1 card left unplayed:

A - Do I draw 4 more at the end of my turn?
B - Do I draw 5 cards (and now have six cards available)
C - Do I discard that card and draw 5 at end of my turn?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
leoesu wrote:
Andrew,

So let's say I have 1 card left unplayed:

I thought he was already pretty clear: "Yes, the intent is that you discard any unused cards remaining in hand, and then draw a new hand of 5 cards. That is how it is phrased on the Turn Order card, but I understand how the phrasing in the rules is a little unclear. "

So it would definitely be your option C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.