Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arizona republic has been around since 1890, but never once endorsed a Democrat for president - until now:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/editorial/2016/09/27/...

There is also a Washington Post article describing this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/why-red-state...

Some quotes from the endorsement:

Quote:
Since The Arizona Republic began publication in 1890, we have never endorsed a Democrat over a Republican for president. Never. This reflects a deep philosophical appreciation for conservative ideals and Republican principles.

This year is different.

The 2016 Republican candidate is not conservative and he is not qualified.

That’s why, for the first time in our history, The Arizona Republic will support a Democrat for president.

The article goes on to very clearly state why I am against Trump. I am not going to quote it because it is long.

To seriously be able to look at Clinton and look at Trump and say they are equally bad seems so outrageously ridiculous that I am hardly able to comprehend it.

Clinton has some mistakes on her belt, but Trump adds more every week than Clinton can rack up in years. People may like to talk about how they're equally awful so they can justify voting for someone like Trump, but they are not.

I just do not see our nation becoming great when a person like Trump is held up as the person for our children to emulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Newspapers? Are those still around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Something not important to me isn't important to anyone

FiXT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are plenty:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_Unit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Any opinion on the actual article though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd read the Republic's endorsement. It was interesting because it didn't only trash Trump as being utterly unqualified and lacking the "steady hand, a cool head and the ability to think carefully before acting" that a president needs, it praised Clinton at some length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor Trumpsters.... they lost Militia Base #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Establishment Republicans don't support Trump?!?!?!

I'm missing the news angle.

Not supporting Trump is not the same as endorsing Clinton as many non-liberals in RSP point out often enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Not supporting Trump is not the same as endorsing Clinton as many non-liberals in RSP point out often enough.

Establishment insiders support each other?!?!

That's just crazy.

That would mean the game is rigged.

Are we speculating or do you have proof?

Ah that's right, everyone's out to get you; no need for truth or proof. Put on your tinfoil cap and be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have actual points and proof. I'm all for it.

I'm not for hearing speculative misinformation meant to muddy the waters.

If you can find proof that it's common that the Republican establishment has gone for Clinton (assuming you are now including those outside of Washington since you are now including the newspapers), then go for it.

Otherwise, you are just trying to misinform and confuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

That's just crazy.

Yep, it's soooo rigged this is the first time it's ever happened. Hmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a staunchly conservative paper's editorial board woke up one morning, scratched their asses, and said they'd write an endorsement editorial that morning that advised the GOP leadership to Cut The Shit For Once And Actually Govern, You Spineless Collection Of Syphilitic Numbnuts.

Either that or it's a giant conspiracy involving editorial boards, political leaders, your mailman, your dog, that squirrel that looked at you that one time, minorities, the Trilateral Commission, Barack Obama, and that guy at McDonald's who always gives you your coffee 75% FUCKING FULL.

They all hate Trump. And they know you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
damn b
i totally remember that squirrel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
damn b

He's a bastard for sure.

Distinguishing features: that damn Hillary logo on his nuts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

FiXT

Have you paid any attention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
JoshBot wrote:
damn b
surprise 'HAIR-mousse' & 'Squirrel-combover' meant: "long, chilly winter ahead" soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Establishment Republicans Lincoln and Roosevelt wouldn't support Trump. If they were alive they'd probably ask, "What the FUCK happened to our party?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:

That's just crazy.

Trump is not from the political establishment, he is apolitical and pretty much self financed, and that's all good for him. But, as a billionaire, and in particular a real estate billionaire, he IS from the establishment.
Moreover, unlike the establishment politicians who cater for their specific segment of population, Trump cares only about himself.
If you seriously think that Trump cares about you, please share your arguments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
Newspapers? Are those still around?
whistle They'd 'endorsed' their previous "spate" of "R"-Governors, so, "just saying..." robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

That's just crazy.

Honestly you've always been stupid, but until this Trump thing came up I had no idea exactly how much of a genuine fucking idiot you are.

Literally the instant anyone says anything negative about Trump you come screaming to the stupidest possible defense.

ESTABLISHMENT ESTABLISHMENT ESTABLISHMENT

YOU MUST HATE ORANGE YOU'RE RACIST

PLUS HILLARY IS WORSEEEEEEEE I TELL YOU WORSEEEEEE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

That's just crazy.

I love the fact you think that a man who has funded both parties and his chummy with all the right people is not part of the establishment.

It's so sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

That's just crazy.

Honestly you've always been stupid, but until this Trump thing came up I had no idea exactly how much of a genuine fucking idiot you are.

Literally the instant anyone says anything negative about Trump you come screaming to the stupidest possible defense.

I defend Trump?

How in theeeee hell did you get that from that?

Allow me to explain.

No. You wouldn't understand.

Let me ask: when I say Hillary can't win, you think I'm coming from a fan-boy rah rah go team go angle? No. I'm simply stating the obvious. Of course something crazy could happen. It would have to be pretty fucking crazy, though.

Why am I not being a crazy fan boy rah rah rah go team go guy when I say Biden would get 60% of the vote if he entered the race. That is simply math.

That would be closer to the truth. I'd vote for Biden edit: over Trump. I doubt I'll vote for Trump.

I resent the fact you call me a Trump defender. In such a crazy left leaning forum as this, I suppose a voice of reason sounds extreme. I do go after the corrupt Democrat. That is true (on both counts). I may point out the obvious flaws in Trump attacks from time to time... but... supporter?

I say this with all my heart: Fuck you.

Most of your attacks are against Clinton. While you may not be a Trump supporter, you've decided to withhold most Trump criticism and focus on Clinton.

You've shown a clear preference, that is the point.

You don't need to endorse to support a candidate.

Also, I feel that any group that states with certainty that either candidate will win is being unrealistic. It almost always can go either way, whether one way is more likely or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that Independents were far right conservative voters and it's no surprise that they would vote for Trump. Undecided voters are typically more moderate. They appear to be swinging toward Clinton, but not in any great numbers. They majority of undecided voters will most likely stay undecided into the election and not vote in the Presidential race at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
Establishment Republicans Lincoln and Roosevelt wouldn't support Trump. If they were alive they'd probably ask, "What the FUCK happened to our party?"

No need to go back in time so far. Reagan must be spinning in his grave faster than an ultrasonic dental drill. I swear, if Reagan had had access to a time machine in 1982, he'd have used it to nuke the 2016 Republican convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

That's just crazy.

I defend Trump?

How in theeeee hell did you get that from that?

Allow me to explain.

No. You wouldn't understand.

Let me ask: when I say Hillary can't win, you think I'm coming from a fan-boy rah rah go team go angle? No. I'm simply stating the obvious. Of course something crazy could happen. It would have to be pretty fucking crazy, though.

Ok, now I'm curious. Why in the world do you think Hillary can't win? Which demographics will be voting for Trump and which ones for Hillary? Because I feel the same groups (white men) that voted for Romney in '12 will vote for Trump now. And ALL the same groups that voted for Obama in '12 will vote for Hillary now. So where is Trump making his gains vs. Romney?

Also, why do you think every poll for the past six months demonstrating Hillary has the advantage? Every polling organization doesn't know what they're doing and somehow you know more than them?

I'm going to dig through your posts from '12 and '08 to see how accurate you were then. If it turns out you weren't then why have you suddenly gained such clarity now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.