Popular Tags: [View All]
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at buying a slightly nicer Go set than my old Ishi Press folding board and ceramic stones set.

Looking around, I'm wondering if there is any advantage to a bamboo vs shin kaya board, other than price. The hippie in me thinks that bamboo might be a decent choice for environmental reasons.

Also, I'm looking at yunzi stones as opposed to marble or glass.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a shin-kaya floor board and yunzi stones and I love them. I like the feel of the yunzi way more than marble or glass, but I think its really a personal taste. I think the bamboo boards look nice as long as you are okay with with it being darker than kaya or shin kaya. It's not the traditional look, but its nice none the less. They are also hard as stone so you won't damage it as easily as the softer shin-kaya will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Yunzi stones. I even favored them over some real slate and shell that I played a game with.

I don't have much to add about the shin-kaya boards. They are pretty, but it's a soft wood. If you plan to travel with it, get a padded case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So as far as your opinion is concerned, assuming I can stop playing WrestleGo, my main consideration will be aesthetic vs renewable resource concerns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Go is very much about aesthetics to me. A good go set is a thing of beauty. That being said, I went shin-kaya and yunzi because of price and looks. I would for sure go with yunzi again, I have really enjoyed the stones. ymimports.com set that comes in the bowl and carrying case is really nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Professional Home Set from Samarkand:

http://www.samarkand.net/Web_store/web_store.cgi?page=sets.h...

I love it. It is nice enough for me, but nothing special, I'm sure. It is a nice wood, the stones feel good. A nice, inexpensive set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up going with:

http://www.ymimports.com/Items/yn-tb001-a_yn-sb001-a?sck=204...

It seems like a pretty decent set for the money, and if I ever get good, I will treat myself to a Kaya table board. I like the 2-3/8" one they have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my package on Friday. Everything was great, except they only shipped ONE extra stone (181 black, and 181 white), and since they were just loose in the bowl case, three white, and seventeen black were damaged. One black had maybe a sixth chipped off, and I suspect that's what caused all the mischief.

Apart from that, everything is super cool. I'm hoping they can send some replacement stones.

And a good deal of the black ones have like, a "seam" visible. Is that a standard imperfection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, they sent me a good deal of replacement stones that I received yesterday! Very good customer service. I'll definitely deal with them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hustle Kong wrote:
Ah, they sent me a good deal of replacement stones that I received yesterday! Very good customer service. I'll definitely deal with them again.

Use sewing machine oil to oil the stones, I added in a drop or two of scented oil from the body shop. It will make the stones look more uniform, they will also feel better. Use a few drops of sewing machine oil in a zip lock and do about 10 stones at a time. Then towel them off so there is no excess oil. Oh, and wash them well first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Use slate floor oil for slate stones, if you have 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:
Hustle Kong wrote:

Use sewing machine oil to oil the stones, I added in a drop or two of scented oil from the body shop. It will make the stones look more uniform, they will also feel better. Use a few drops of sewing machine oil in a zip lock and do about 10 stones at a time. Then towel them off so there is no excess oil. Oh, and wash them well first.

Yeah, I did that pretty much first thing. Though I did them all at once, which just took a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hustle Kong wrote:
So as far as your opinion is concerned, assuming I can stop playing WrestleGo, my main consideration will be aesthetic vs renewable resource concerns?

What pray tell is WrestleGo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.