Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
(This is a repost from a couple of other threads I made

Ever hear of Hollandspiele Games? No? Sounds like a Euro-weenie type of game company, right? They probably make 18xx games or some other kind of Euro worker placement thingee--which is fine, I love those games too. But no, they be making some wargames. 2-player, solitaire, and some other historical-edged type of games. And The Scheldt Campaign by Brian Train (you know A Distant Plain, and designer of a million other asymmetrical wargames) just got a reboot from this little company, that seems to me just came out of nowhere.

From the BGG page it's a "operational level wargame of operations in the area of the Scheldt Estuary in Belgium and Holland in October and November of 1944."

I just completed crafting my PnP copy (downloaded from wargamevault.com) the other day--though you can by a physical one from the company as well. Let's take a look at this little beast...

Nice map:

Not overly chit-heavy:

The game is unique in the fact you don't just move stuff and fight. Each side has a set of chits with orders on them:

Each turn you select a certain amount of orders--maybe Administration to regroup a beat up unit or to repair (get rid of hit markers) from a damaged unit. Maybe Intel, to be able to get Initiative in combat or to look at your opponents hand of orders or look through a stack of chits. Or Operations Order which allows you to, well, fight & move...Then Logistics that lets you organize air support or artillery to help out with a fight or use strategic move on a unit.

Battle mats for both sides where you keep your Division's tactical units:

There are some other unique units in this game and other game specific rules, like the Allied player being able to bomb the dikes in order to flood the island in the hopes of having an easier time taking out the German defenses.

If you like a little fog of war and dice chucking for combat, and just want an all around unique take on a unique topic of WW2, I'd suggest checking this out. Very cool game.

(a look at the pieces you get when you buy the game--the above pictures were all from my Print n' Play version, which is a little different than the published copy):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up!

How long to play start to finish? How long are the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Thanks for the write-up!

I haven't played through a whole game yet. But I saw it played at my game club a few weeks ago, and it took a few hours for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Gordon!
I'm glad you enjoy it.

The engine in the game is a very heavily modified version of the Staff Card system introduced by Joe Miranda in Bulge 20.
The Scheldt situation is rather asymmetrical in that the Allies have the edge in manpower and logistics, but the Germans have terrain and time in their favour.

An even more asymmetrical situation, featuring an even more heavily modified version of the system, is found in my game "Third Lebanon War" (free PnP from my website:
https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/next-war-in-lebanon...)

The rulebook is 16 pages long, only 11 of that is rules and there are lots of pictures.
The Allies win the game by winning quickly, and some turns will be busier than others, so it's hard to predict a typical playing length.
A couple of hours, anyway.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Thanks for the write-up!

I'd count on three hours if you've not played it before (for a two player game), and I could see it going longer. That estimate is considering a full 32 turn game. If the allies completely roll over the Germans then it could be much shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I also wanted to say, nice job on the PnP Gordon... did you blow up the map and counters as you said you would?

Oh, and in your photos, what do the red cubes on the map signify?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

I also wanted to say, nice job on the PnP Gordon... did you blow up the map and counters as you said you would?

Oh, and in your photos, what do the red cubes on the map signify?

Brian

I blew up the map to 150% Thus making it about 50% bigger than the original--I don't know why bigger matters, but it does to me, I like a big board when I play. And I blew up the counters 25% bigger than original as well--big counters feel good to push around (it's one of the reasons why I refuse to play ASL with all of those tiny tiny counters).

Though, the chits in the real published game, I have to say are very nice.

I used the red cubes to help remind myself of the Breskens Pocket and it's importance to both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, thanks.

In the days of my Microgame Design Group designs, I often heard of people blowing up the maps beyond their printed 11x17" size, which was the largest we could print.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I blew mine up 200%!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoitl33 wrote:
I blew mine up 200%!

Now I have to go and blow mine up to 250%!! Hell why not make a life sized map!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Hell why not make a life sized map!!

Now that's a simulation!

(I wouldn't want to have to fold it though)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
patton55 wrote:
Hell why not make a life sized map!!

Now that's a simulation!

(I wouldn't want to have to fold it though)

Brian

I'm thinking it would be rolled up like one of those tarps they roll out for baseball games when it rains. You could use people as Divisions. "Bob, you go over there and stand in Antwerp. John, you go stand on that green spot..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.