Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello you all,

I know there's no position per se in the game, but I would appreciate if some of you who are either Football experts or had the chance to play Techno Bowl already could teach a newby about positions by numbers...

While I was choosing my number for the "IN THE GAME" pledge, I had a discussion with Brent who already told me that:

- 6s are good wide receivers, quarterbacks, running backs, and defensive backs.
- #47 is more of an offensive/defensive linemen, defensive end, or full back.
- #36 is more of a power lineman or power full back [like Al Stop].

Would there be a way to populate this schema I found on Wikipedia with Jersey numbers?

I suppose the skills also come into play but I'm not there yet ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I've not played a match yet. However, here's why Brent gave you that advice.

If you want to run a long way - you need a high number (wide receiver and blitzing tackler)

If you want to knock people down - you need a low number (linemen)

However, your alignment also depends on your play. On the offence, you could line up two high numbers on the same side. Which causes your opponent to line up his defence on that side as well.

But then, you could go the other way. Block his players that way, then run with the QB on that side...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the low-tech image here, but I've circled some positions, numbered them, and will share what players I usually put here.

Box 1: I usually put numbers 5, 6, or 7 here. My safeties need to have speed so they can close on wide receivers. 6 or 7 is risky because they're bad at tackling which is why a 5 will be there every now and then.

Box 2: If I'm setting up like this, these are 4s and 5s. Good tacklers, but can move along the line if they need to.

Box 3: Usually I'm putting 3s and 4s in here. They need to block and block well so I'm putting low numbered players there. I can tell you right now my favorite number in the entire game are the 3 players. On defense, you can usually set up a +3 bonus without a problem and use that for some power plays.

Box 4: Quarterback. 6 or 7 usually. Sometimes 5.

Box 5: Running backs. 5, usually. Fast enough to move but a low enough number that tackling is going to be a problem.

Box 6: Receivers. Usually 6 or 7. Built for speed.

These are just recommendations. Strategy, skills, schemes, all come into play. But that should give you a rough idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you... This should give me a leg up ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Offense

3: Fullbacks, Maybe a blocker if you want to throw a deep pass, but mostly used as a TE, where they stay off the line to get an easy block wherever they choose, or catch a short pass.

4: Linemen chud. Just throw them on the line unless they have skills like Warren Sack.

5: Center, tight end, slot receiver, maybe a running back if you are on the opponents side of the field and its second down.

6: Quarterback, receiver, running back, potentially center in 7 on 7 if you use the 3 as a power blocker.

7: Running back on long yardage downs, outlet back, primary receiver.

Defense:

3: Same as offense

4: same as offense, but can be good for opening up holes for blitzers. Not the flashiest of players.

5: Nose Tackle, Linebacker, maybe a strong safety in a shorter yardage down.

6: Linebacker, Corner, but best as a safety.

7: Cornerback, outside blitzer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:

I'm going to use Raf's low-tech image if he doesn't mind. All of these are very generic recommendations.

Box 1: 6 or 7 here when playing a zone for the speed and ability to keep up with receivers or close in on a running play. Perfect for reactive adjustments like dropping into coverage or collapsing on a runner due to higher numbers/skill ratings.

Box 2: 5s if I'm playing that position as a linebacker, or 6s for tight coverage/spy.

Box 3: I position 4s and 5s in here. I usually use a 5 to hike the ball, but I will sometimes use a 3-4. I usually have my 3 off of the line-of-scrimmage on both offense and defense and either in the backfield on offense or in the 'motion/slot' lane.

Box 4: QB is the same as Raf. 6 or 7 usually. Sometimes 5.

Box 5: Running back back is a 7 unless I'm playing a particular player or looking to do a power run. Then I use a 5. I will typically use a 3 or a 5 for a fullback; A 5 when the running back is a 7, a 3 when the running back is a 5.

Box 6: 6-7s for receivers and defensive backs.

All this changes based on team composition [both mine and the opposing coach], play call, and field position.

Blitzing changes this as well depending the type of blitz I'm trying to create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa! you starting to make me think i'm gonna have to really thk about this game... I thought they all just ran into each other and then fell down...

Actually i love the huge differences in speed vs vulnerability... creates thos asymetric choices you only find in the best wargames. err sports game shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
voodooink wrote:
captainraffi wrote:

I'm going to use Raf's low-tech image if he doesn't mind. All of these are very generic recommendations.

Box 3: I position 4s and 5s in here. I usually use a 5 to hike the ball, but I will sometimes use a 3-4. I usually have my 3 off of the line-of-scrimmage on both offense and defense and either in the backfield on offense or in the 'motion/slot' lane.

Just curious on using a 5 here, is it just the advantage of hiking the ball further or can you do something like create a hole at the next level that a 3 or 4 would struggle to do? I've seen you use a 5 on your videos and was wondering about the advantage at centre over a 3 or 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Toenail21 wrote:
Offense
4: Linemen chud. Just throw them on the line unless they have skills like Warren Sack.

surprise I can't believe you called the original poster lineman chud! What team to you play for? #46 & #47 of the Lumberjacks are coming for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonrally wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:
Offense

surprise I can't believe you called the original poster lineman chud! What team to you play for? #46 & #47 of the Lumberjacks are coming for you!

In fact I don't even know what a chud is... so I let it go ;-)
Nathan, is that you? LOL!
"Lumber... Lumber... Lumber... Lumberjacks GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beewee wrote:
moonrally wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:
Offense

In fact I don't even know what a chud is... so I let it go ;-)
Nathan, is that you? LOL!

Chud is just a local slang word for... perhaps I shouldn't define it. blush

I didn't buy a player name, but I am the offensive coordinator for the Washington Engines.

And why Lumberjacks? I like Dakota (mostly because he is better than Baby), but really?

I did however, forget to mention that on defense, if you have a strong blitzer on the team, the 4s can open up holes pretty well. Also they are good in delayed blitzes on zone plays. So you guys will get some fun defensive action, even if offense will be limited to the occasional risky roll to get the ball carrier those last few yards on a breakaway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Toenail21 wrote:
Chud is just a local slang word for... perhaps I shouldn't define it. blush

I didn't buy a player name, but I am the offensive coordinator for the Washington Engines.

OK ;-)
Will have to investigate myself but only found Acronyms so far...

Toenail21 wrote:
And why Lumberjacks? I like Dakota (mostly because he is better than Baby), but really?

SF is a special place for me in the USA... even if I must admit I don't know that many places there...

Toenail21 wrote:
I did however, forget to mention that on defense, if you have a strong blitzer on the team, the 4s can open up holes pretty well. Also they are good in delayed blitzes on zone plays. So you guys will get some fun defensive action, even if offense will be limited to the occasional risky roll to get the ball carrier those last few yards on a breakaway.

Can't wait to experiment myself...
I've prepared a PnP and should be able to try a few games by the end of the week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
moonrally wrote:
Just curious on using a 5 here, is it just the advantage of hiking the ball further or can you do something like create a hole at the next level that a 3 or 4 would struggle to do? I've seen you use a 5 on your videos and was wondering about the advantage at centre over a 3 or 4?

While I do like using the 5 for the hiking advantage, it's more about the flexibility to use my 3 to get superior blocking match-ups in multiple situations out of the backfield, motion lane, or outside edges of the offensive line. That's partially because I run the ball a lot. Coaches who tend to favor the passing game will often use a 3 or 4 at the center position. I also like to 'pull' with the 5 on certain types of counter runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ha ha, it is indeed me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Toenail21 wrote:

I've been a Lumberjacks fan for about 30 years so I got an In The Game pledge for them. If you're asking why specifically the Lumberjacks line fodder are now after you, it's coz me and Franck are the 40s in that team #46 and #47 so I thought we could pretend to take offence and come after you on the field. We'll just have to bully the Engines offense instead now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
voodooink wrote:
moonrally wrote:

While I do like using the 5 for the hiking advantage, it's more about the flexibility to use my 3 to get superior blocking match-ups in multiple situations out of the backfield, motion lane, or outside edges of the offensive line. That's partially because I run the ball a lot. Coaches who tend to favor the passing game will often use a 3 or 4 at the center position. I also like to 'pull' with the 5 on certain types of counter runs.

Ah I see, that makes sense, setting up a big block for the 3. I like the idea of pulling for the counter run too!

I've only been plotting things on Excel, but I might make a prototype soon so I can try the game out properly, to tide me over until I get my hands on the real thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.