Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: single_word_in_CAPS_meme [+] [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why use the word "Geek" if there isn't an implied stereotype?

How do you feel about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly bite the head of of a chicken as part of my circus act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Why use the word "Geek" if there isn't an implied stereotype?
Because words have meaning and the meaning applies?

Quote:
The word geek is a slang term originally used to describe eccentric or non-mainstream people; in current use, the word typically connotes an expert or enthusiast or a person obsessed with a hobby or intellectual pursuit, with a general pejorative meaning of a "peculiar person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual, unfashionable, or socially awkward".[1]

Although often considered as a pejorative, the term is also used self-referentially without malice or as a source of pride. Its meaning has evolved to refer to "someone who is interested in a subject (usually intellectual or complex) for its own sake".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no feelings on it. Takes too much energy to care how people classify me / us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...let's see.

Socially awkward and/or clueless? Check.

Glasses? Check.

Insanely high IQ? Check.

Dresses funny? Check.

Has a hobby that "normal" people make fun of? Check.

Result: 100% certified geek. Not that I'm proud of it, I just don't give a damn what other people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I am unfit, does that mean I fit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
overly intellectual, unfashionable, or socially awkward".

Sounds about right, except maybe for the intellectual bit.

cool username wrote:

Result: 100% certified geek. Not that I'm proud of it, I just don't give a damn what other people think.

I'm proud of my geekyness, I couldn't stand to be normal, and listen to Top50 radio gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nope...

I am actually an adonis and extremely charming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the term geek has now morphed into its primary definition as used in contest "a person with interest and a high level of applicable knowledge in a specific subject"

at least thats how I often hear it IE "I'm a snowboarding geek"=I know and like knowing a lot about my hobby of snowboarding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
overly intellectual, unfashionable, or socially awkward".

Sounds about right, except maybe for the intellectual bit.
The more relevant context is "someone who is interested in a subject (usually intellectual or complex) for its own sake". There's no reason that people who are very interested in boardgames have to be unfashionable or socially awkward. I wouldn't accept that stereotype from someone outside the hobby and I see no reason to leave it unchallenged within it either.

Let's dispense with the old stereotypes of geek because those are no longer relevant. I know people who identify as golf geeks, wine geeks and sports geeks. And none of them fit that tired trope. Geek is a term that means someone who has a passion for and is obsessively interested in a subject. If you want to celebrate your social awkwardness, go do it somewhere else... we discuss boardgames here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a problem with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the name of the site, and I self identify as 'a bit of a geek'. Still someone would have to tell me how they perceive the stereotype before I could tell you if I actually fit it or not.

About the only time I really think about my personal geekiness or lack there of is when I attend gaming cons which I perceive as celebrations of many aspects of what's often called "geek culture".

When used in that context, my feelings about the word are overwhelmingly positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been a fan.

I'm not sure it quite translates into the UK.

IMO, while the original negative meaning is well know but it doesn't have much resonance, we have better words which we'd use instead. I think it's meaning and it's resonance across the pond comes from school and major divides/beef between jocks and geeks. We had less organised spot and hierarchical student body based on physicality, so you could be a geek and still enjoy playing football and fighting.

Further, 'geekchic' and the popularity of the likes of the IT Crowd (grudgingly, The Big Bang Theory) have made 'geek' lose what little meaning it had anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
. . . so you could be a geek and still enjoy playing football and fighting.

Three of my best gaming buddies played football in school. One of them is a brown belt in something or other. I've never asked about how they feel about the term, though once, when I had a conversation with the ballplayer/brown belt in binary, I did accuse him of being a nerd. In binary.

He didn't bite my head off, so I assumed he was cool with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Board Game Twerp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sexy, charming and passionate?

Why yes I do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: BoardGame"Geek" - do YOU fit the "DOLBY-stereotype"?
"Snowboard GEEK"? Quoth Alice Cooper: "...JUST a HOBO, in the SNOW!"
Quoth Alice Bowie: "I only K-N-O-W 3-'Conchords' in FLIGHT, and NO 'stinking Flocking Seagulls' funny stuff!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think geek is synonymous with enthusiast. At one time, it was probably closer to aficionado where there was an implication that a geek would be knowledgeable about their geekdom(s). However, I think the prevalence of the term has muddied the waters to simply mean "a person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nah, I do music and I am too out there to be accepted/seen as a geek in general according to most people. I mean, non gamer people are willing to play Eldritch weight board games with me while drinking without thinking it's weird or geeky so *shrug*.

Which is fine. To be honest the whole geek thing has never bothered me or friends, being a cliche is naff.

NOTE: not to imply anyone here is a "geek" in the way I mean though! I assume most everyone here has rounded interests and more than just board games to their lives so you're all gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've objected to the term in the past, but it has become so meaningless that it's almost impossible not to be a "geek."

I used to think that being a catty, fashion-obsessed queer was somehow disqualifying, but now one hears of "fashion geeks" "public policy geeks" "finance geeks" "sports geeks" "fitness geeks" and probably somewhere there are even "monster truck rally geeks."

Rather than debating who is included in the term, I prefer to exclude it from my vocabulary as far as possible. It's an unpleasant-sounding, useless word that is either an ineffective pejorative or one that lends a self-congratulatory air of pseudo-intellectualism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

The above is my entry into this year's "Shortest Correct Answer to a Question" contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it doesn't bother me. As others have stated, these days geek is the new cool. What I do mind is when I feel like others see me as childish/frivolous/lazy because of my hobby. Everybody has their hobbies, it's just that "I'm playing golf this weekend" sounds a lot more grown up than "I'm playing board games this weekend"... but I suspect this is a slightly different topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
it's just that "I'm playing golf this weekend" sounds a lot more grown up than "I'm playing board games this weekend"... but I suspect this is a slightly different topic.
I, for one, would love to read this thread! A great topic indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.

It was recently pointed out to me that there is nothing I do which I do not do in the nerdiest way possible.

For example, this past year I've started going to to the gym. But when I go, I go with a buddy who is a philosopher and we discuss Ethics the whole time. And we only make it once a week because we're both busy writing PhD dissertations.

Similarly, I've also taken music up casually this past year. But I don't join a choir, or get a guitar like a normal person. No, I got a banjo. After spending a month researching what kind to get, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.