Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Burton
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It appears that the map for Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu has places that are not inspired by Lovecraft's books. The theme requires accuracy in following Lovecraft's stories.

Below are listed actual locations from the Cthulhu Mythos that are more accurate localities than those on the Pandemic map.

Arkham, based on Salem, MA, has Miskatonic University but is missing the Arkham Asylum, the Crowninshield House, the Wooded Graveyard, St. Mary's Hospital, and the Bay Front Church. Dunwich, based on Athol, MA, does not have Dean's Corner, Round Mountain, the Sentinel Elm Farm, Aylesbury Pike, the Ten Acre Meadow and (in a glaring omission) the Whately Farmhouse. Kingsport, based on Marblehead, MA but located geographically in Prides Crossing, MA, should have the Hall School, the Cliff House, the Congregational Hospital, Water St., and (from Robert Bloch's story) the Deserted House. Robert Bloch, who wrote Psycho, wrote Cthulhu Mythos stories early in his career. Innsmouth, based on Newburyport, MA, should unquestionably have the Marsh Refinery Co. and the Gilman House Hotel but also Manuxet Falls, State St., the waterfront, and the New Church Green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding locales is not better geography.

This is just the locales where the cultists hang out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a label printer and fix your board Legacy-style, if it really bothers you!

We've been enjoying the game immensely here, and we're all big Lovecraft fans in this house. It's not like Lovecraft's rolling in his grave or anything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Miskatonic university would be a great expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Alfke
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other people have been extending the Mythos since the 1930s. Why should a board game be required to use only Lovecraft-sourced details when others, from August Derleth onward, haven't felt the same restriction?

Lovecraft can't possibly have had room to mention every single point of interest in Arkham and environs, so you can just imagine that the non-canon locations in the game are places Lovecraft didn't have time to describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally... Wouldn't the game be better if we played on Lovecraft's map of Arkham shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulsecond wrote:
Heck yes! Expansions in general would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Worden
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
zappshmeow94 wrote:
paulsecond wrote:
Heck yes! Expansions in general would be great.

Would love a "small box" expansion! Something that just adds more characters, Great old Ones and relics. Don't want the game to turn into a 2 table affair with LOTS of boards and side boards. Would love it.

And on topic: I think all the names on the board are well enough in the theme and time frame and are not immersion breaking or needing change at all.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to see an expansion adding a 5th player (my gaming group has 5 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
paulsecond wrote:
I would like to see an expansion adding a 5th player (my gaming group has 5 players).

Thinking about Pandemic expansions, instead of a bioterrorist you could have a cult leader of Priest of Dagon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.