Subject: Mythos - Well worth a look... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Andrews
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After a few learning games this past week last night I played a two-handed game of Mythos using the vanilla Mythos Standard Game Set.

As I'm sure you know if you're reading this - Mythos was a CCG released in the 90s by Chaosium. It's set in the worlds of Lovecraft and sees each player taking on the role of an investigator exploring the hidden secrets of the world trying to get out certain cards as dictated by adventure cards.

I dabbled with it back in the day but was more into other CCGs as it never really clicked with me for some reason. After becoming more interested in Lovecraft over the last few years (and having pre-ordered Arkham Horror: The Card Game and being impatient) I decided to give it another go and was lucky to stumble on someone selling a complete set with loads of extra for making decks for not many sheckles at all.

Having spent more time on it now I realise that the main issue I had back in the day was the disconnect in the adventures. The adventures themselves have a small narrative linking the list of cards you need to play in order to win. However the narrative has no bearing on the game and to all intents should be ignored as you don't play the cards in the order listed and more often than not they don't fit the running narrative, each adventure is just a set of victory conditions.

The other main conceopt that I hadn't realised is that the game's core mechanics are very much like a normal card game. It has melds and playing cards to support other cards. It's creator Charles Krank actually studied Hoyle to put the game together and that shows. Back in the 90s I was trying to play it like other CCGs.

However, these two points aren't a bad thing as the gameplay is very unlike any other CCG I've played and once I stopped treating it like an "Investigator on a linear mission" game and focused on the mechanics and victory conditions I found it really engaging even playing two-handed. The cards do have affects and abilities but the main gameplay is about playing multiple cards per round in order to match your victory conditions as soon as possible.

Now, phrasing it like this makes it sound like the theme is tagged on but somehow it's not. As you play cards and manoeuvre around the country (or countries with the expansions) the theme on the cards shines through and gives a very rewarding Lovecraftian gaming experience.

After a few learning games this past week last night I played two-handed using the vanilla Mythos Standard Game Set. The Corrupt Bored Clerk vs the Steadfast Soulful Jazz Singer. I played the basic game (aiming to complete just one adventure) and it was really close actually. The Clerk was slightly ahead going into round 3 only needing a Train card to complete "Two Cities and a Tale".

In summary, it's a brilliant game that's worth getting past the learning bump and the potential disconnect with it's aims. You can pick up swaths of the cards on eBay for very little money and is well worth a look if you fancy something a bit different from the current LCGs that are out and about.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Antunes
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
Hey, mouseover!
badge
Hey, mouseover!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadWelshWizard wrote:
You can pick up swaths of the cards on eBay for very little money ...

True, unless you are looking for New Aeon :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there are official solo rules, so you don't have to always play 2 handed.

Luckily got a few sets of New Aeon before it became so rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Nick,

Nice to touch base, I've seen your name many times whilst perusing these boards.

Do you have any swaps, I'm missing about 8 cards for a full New Aeon set (not catalogued the standard or Dreamlands cards I have yet).

Also can you post the official solo rules? I only have New Aeon rule booklets and they're not in there. I have Art of Playing on order from the States as I'm a completist There are so many posts of people asking for them to be posted here on the geek and they never seem to arrive. I've got Hutchinson's Cipher and that mentions the deck construction is the same as the official solo rules but that's the closest I have.

I wrote the Alone Against the Mythos rules a good number of years back but as I'm sure you know they turn it into more of a linear adventure and are meant for people who don't want to do any deckbuilding.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadWelshWizard wrote:
Hey Nick,

Nice to touch base, I've seen your name many times whilst perusing these boards.

Do you have any swaps, I'm missing about 8 cards for a full New Aeon set (not catalogued the standard or Dreamlands cards I have yet).

Also can you post the official solo rules? I only have New Aeon rule booklets and they're not in there. I have Art of Playing on order from the States as I'm a completist There are so many posts of people asking for them to be posted here on the geek and they never seem to arrive. I've got Hutchinson's Cipher and that mentions the deck construction is the same as the official solo rules but that's the closest I have.

I wrote the Alone Against the Mythos rules a good number of years back but as I'm sure you know they turn it into more of a linear adventure and are meant for people who don't want to do any deckbuilding.

Craig

I think you should get all the solo rules you need in the art of playing mythos, which are the same as those found in the Standard Edition rulebook, from the 2 player set.

Geekmail me what you are looking for from New Aeon. If it's the most rare cards, which I suspect, I probably won't have swaps - but happy to have a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kilby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Easier than you think - I just sold my M/NM NEW AEON set for £300. I still have plenty of NEW AEON singles of all rarities. Drop me a line.

My complete sets are now up on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/john_kilby

Drop me a line if you're interested in the NEW AEON singles.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.