BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Nerd Weekend Getaway rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason McGuire
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Some friends and I have booked a weekend trip to a condo to get away for a few days. Plan is to hang out and bring some games. Currently we are bringing a collection of X-Wing Minis, Dead of Winter, Game of Thrones, and few other board games we frequently play.

My question, and I know this is completely subjective, is if you were buying a new game just for the weekend, would you purchase Star Wars: Imperial Assault, or Magic The Gathering (Pre-built Decks for fast/casual play).

We play together every few weeks, so it's not necessarily a one and done, but we won't get so invested into Magic as to build decks competitively or buy extra boosters (All done that before). Just gathering thoughts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I would consider a LCG or ECG before MtG (pre-built).

have you considered:

Eminent Domain, Xenon Profiteer or similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would buy the one that I thought my group would have the most fun playing. I know nothing about you and your group, so I have no way of knowing which of those two options would be the most fun for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather play Imperial Assault than Magic, but I'm not invited! Why don't you send a note to your attending pals and ask which they'd rather play? Go with the majority vote?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ramble
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I don't play a lot of MtG anymore, but when I do I enjoy playing the "Commander" format: decks revolve thematically around a legendary commander card, and each deck only uses spells/activation costs that contain the exact colors of the commander (i.e., a R/W legendary commander may only use cards that cost R, W, or a combination thereof).

WotC makes prebuilt Commander decks which are pretty fun, and balanced really well for both 1v1 and multiplayer. I'd look into them, the Commander format lends itself really well to "can you believe that just happened" moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McGuire
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've asked group and I get a lot of "Either of those sounds good" comments. We are not always the most decisive group . I'll look at the Commander Decks for Magic, sounds interesting.

I have not looked into those games, but I will as well. Stopping by store tomorrow to purchase something, so we will see what happens. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ramble wrote:
I don't play a lot of MtG anymore, but when I do I enjoy playing the "Commander" format: decks revolve thematically around a legendary commander card, and each deck only uses spells/activation costs that contain the exact colors of the commander (i.e., a R/W legendary commander may only use cards that cost R, W, or a combination thereof).

WotC makes prebuilt Commander decks which are pretty fun, and balanced really well for both 1v1 and multiplayer. I'd look into them, the Commander format lends itself really well to "can you believe that just happened" moments.

Something to know about Commander if you've never played before though is that the format encourages decks to be less streamlined because of the deckbuilding restrictions, and the multiplayer format encourages the protracted stalemate because the first person to attack is in the weakest position for the next round.

Every time I've played, it means the games take forever and then once the combat starts happening, so many things happen at once that you need your best M:tG rules lawyer to figure out wtf happens.

I actually hate the format for these reasons, but I will acknowledge that it is very, very popular and that I am the odd one. However, if you're used to playing 15-30 minute "normal" M:tG games, you might be really surprised how much different Commander plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd choose SW imperial assault as with my group we would get more invested and have more fun. I think its due to being more meaty thematically speaking and would get more interest being more than just cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote Imperial Assault. Just getting pre-built Magic decks feels like you're cutting out half of the game, which is building a deck. I mean, imagine playing just a couple generic, pre-built X-Wing squads. It would still be kinda fun, but you know it'd be more fun with a squad you built.

I'd think a more interesting option would be to run a sealed draft - it can be done well with not too much investment. But again, Imperial Assault would be less work overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a weekend nerd getaway, I think I would get one of those epic monsters that are hard to get to the table played. Something like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) or Here I Stand.

Just my two cents though and not what you asked for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would look at getting a LCG also, as mentioned above. There are a few that come to mind: Android Netrunner, Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror (not sure if this one is actually out yet). I'm sure there are others worth looking at too. I would love to get into a LCG but it is a bit of an investment and the wife wouldn't like spending that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.