Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joaquin Lowe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
From Rahdo's Run through this game looks like it might be an underrated gem. Just ordered a copy for myself. $10.50 + 8.00 shipping puts it about 5 dollars cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

https://www.mayfairgames.com/products/johari
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Johari $10.50 via Mayfair's website
Keenlow wrote:
$10.50 + 8.00 shipping puts it about 5 dollars cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

would suggest putting the +$8 shipping in the thread subject otherwise it's kind of click bait just to find that out still a good deal though, even though I would never buy a game on just one review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Lowe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the advice. Will keep that in mind for future posts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG: Johari
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this for $19.77 a while back, so this deal is legit.

...still haven't played it though...

Edit: and at the time $19.77 was a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keenlow wrote:
From Rahdo's Run through this game looks like it might be an underrated gem.

As much as I love Rahdo, I don't think you can watch any of this final thoughts videos without getting this impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Keenlow wrote:

As much as I love Rahdo, I don't think you can watch any of this final thoughts videos without getting this impression.

Sad but true. I've followed him since the very beginning, but I pay less and less attention to him.

Everything is awesome and dripping with theme!

(I exaggerate of course).

Of course, he is very clear that he wants people to ignore his reviews and watch the play through instead. But his enthusiasm drips through there as well.

Like critics of all kinds, the best you can do is get to know the critic until you can make your own assumptions based on your meta-analysis of the critic in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Lowe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
jonnylawless wrote:
Keenlow wrote:

I agree it's easy to get that impression because of his enthusiasm (not a bad thing!). I don't think I've ever seen a video of his where he's said anything along the lines of "This game stinks." At most, he'll say, "This game isn't for him and Jen." That just means he doesn't do run throughs for games he doesn't think he'll enjoy. So if he's made a video for a game you can rest assured going in that he's found something interesting or redeeming in the gameplay even if he comes out the other end having not enjoyed it.

FWIW, when I watched the video I thought the game looked like a lot of fun before I watched the final thoughts. Also, Tom Vassel's video review offers a good counterpoint to Rahdo's. And there are plenty of well thought out opinions offered about Johari on the game's page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin barnhill
United States
Oxford
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
this has been discussed several times and i think he's actually commented on the topic. he doesn't review games per se; he does run thru's instructional videos.

for the most part, he does not run thru games he doesn't like; thus all his final thoughts are full of praise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keenlow wrote:
From Rahdo's Run through this game looks like it might be an underrated gem. Just ordered a copy for myself. $10.50 + 8.00 shipping puts it about 5 dollars cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

https://www.mayfairgames.com/products/johari

Having played it, I can say that it is a decent game, but nowhere near being a "gem." I sold it after a few plays.

For a different take, see The Dice Tower's Review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
justinbarnhill wrote:
this has been discussed several times and i think he's actually commented on the topic. he doesn't review games per se; he does run thru's instructional videos.

for the most part, he does not run thru games he doesn't like; thus all his final thoughts are full of praise.

True - I expect he'll be along here any moment - but in the meantime I think most of his reviews are positive because it goes like this:

1) He won't run-through a game if he knows he won't like it after reading the rules.

2) Sometimes he thinks he may like a game even after reading the rules but then after playing it realizes that it is not in fact a game for him (no more Mr. Nice Guy).

3) An exception to 1 & 2 is when a Kick Starter backer or other fans request a run through of a specific game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin barnhill
United States
Oxford
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
you really gotta get to know the person you are watching...or at least the goal of their channel to weigh their opinions. rahdo, watch it played, grey elephant gaming....all the same to me. not really reviews just more "here's a feel for this game/how it's played" ... you be the judge.

i think this video posted by james @ druid city games sums it up for alot of these guys.

https://youtu.be/Z7QFvskQ0c4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hudson
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, Justin that pretty much sums it up. Thanks for posting.

We put in a lot of time on games to review/overview them. We aren't paid, so why spend your free time working on something you don't enjoy?

It would be different if we were the movie industry and I was paid to write reviews of board games. If anyone wants to hire me to do that, I would be happy to consider it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.