$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Global Literacy Among Young People is Poor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What College-Aged Students Know About the World: A Survey on Global Literacy

Includes a 10 question quiz on global literacy (I got 90%) and link to a report on the study. Basically,

Quote:
The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) and National Geographic have commissioned a survey to gauge what young people educated in American colleges and universities know about geography, the environment, demographics, U.S. foreign policy, recent international events, and economics. The survey, conducted in May 2016 among 1,203 respondents aged eighteen to twenty-six, revealed significant gaps between what young people understand about today’s world and what they need to know to successfully navigate and compete in it. The average score on the survey’s knowledge questions was only 55 percent correct, and just 29 percent of respondents earned a minimal pass—66 percent correct or better.

Thoughts?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
10/10.

I'm always prepared to believe the worst when it comes to people knowing about international affairs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are Americans they only know where the next state over is because they may occasionally play them at football
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did pretty poorly myself, but I'm not particularly surprised, since I don't engage actively on foreign affairs and thus have little reason to maintain certain facts.

Honestly, unsure about how I feel about tests like this. While they are good at demonstrating the public's broad ignorance regarding many subjects, it'd be more interesting to see when people got it wrong because they were sure they were right and when they knew they didn't know (and could thus research it before engaging).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only imagine the questions the Council on Foreign Relations asked. That is one of the most corrupt group of war hawk fuck wits in our nation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only imagine the questions the Council on Foreign Relations asked. That is one of the most corrupt group of war hawk fuck wits in our nation.


Well, I mean, you could click on the survey results link in the article and know instead of imagining.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
I can only imagine the questions the Council on Foreign Relations asked. That is one of the most corrupt group of war hawk fuck wits in our nation.


Well, I mean, you could click on the survey results link in the article and know instead of imagining.


Jeremy can't read.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Avatar
9/10 (would have been 8/10 if I hadn't learned in the question I missed that the U.S. does't care if Mexico gets attacked....)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Global Literacy Among Young People is Poor, if you are American.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean knowledge about the world is poor amongst young Americans.
Literacy is the ability to read and write.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
9/10 (would have been 8/10 if I hadn't learned in the question I missed that the U.S. does't care if Mexico gets attacked....)


Oh, we'd CARE. We just don't have a LEGAL obligation to defend them.

"Hey you guys, lay off Mexico. Only WE can invade them!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
I think you mean knowledge about the world is poor amongst young Americans.
Literacy is the ability to read ans write.

Just using the wording of the report itself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
I think you mean knowledge about the world is poor amongst young Americans.
Literacy is the ability to read ans write.

Just using the wording of the report itself.

Clearly US literacy is poor then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
I think you mean knowledge about the world is poor amongst young Americans.
Literacy is the ability to read ans write.

Just using the wording of the report itself.

Clearly US literacy is poor then.
The irony of

"look at how stoopid the young people is today" was not lost on me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it's am American idiom but we often use literacy to connote knowledge, e.g. global literacy, cultural literacy, computer literacy, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
60%.

(If it isn't hf or psychology or religion or gaming, fuck if I know.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
60%.

(If it isn't hf or psychology or religion or gaming, fuck if I know.)

I also got 60%
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
I think you mean knowledge about the world is poor amongst young Americans.
Literacy is the ability to read ans write.

Just using the wording of the report itself.

Clearly US literacy is poor then.


Elfbane wrote:
Perhaps it's am American idiom but we often use literacy to connote knowledge, e.g. global literacy, cultural literacy, computer literacy, etc.


https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literacy

And it is definitely not just used in the US.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/computer-literacy-is-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
10/10 -- but I'm more interested in international politics and events than most other Americans. And I will be the first to admit that the majority -- perhaps the vast majority -- of Americans know little to nothing about international politics. Hell, most of them don't pay attention to local, state and national politics. That's what makes this country great.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.