BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mage v.s mage style board & card games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Phillips
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am looking for recommendations of "Mage v.s Mage" style board & card games please. From extremely popular ones to your personal hidden gems. Thanks in advanced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sean713 wrote:
I am looking for recommendations of "Mage v.s Mage" style board & card games please. From extremely popular ones to your personal hidden gems. Thanks in advanced!

Two that I really like which are both slightly off the beaten path but not far enough for you to get poison ivy are:

1) Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
2) Spellcaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena. Board and cards. Love the spell book building and games can be long or short depending on how aggressive you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is where it's at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiz-War (eighth edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes and Mage Wars Arena or Academy are both great! I favor Ashes because I really don't like the dice in Mage Wars, but the game is still good.

Summoner Wars is another popular game that just didn't click for me, but I enjoyed playing it on IOS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena is our Current favorite. it has a board, allows each player to customize their spellbook and has a huge number of great expansions. It's quite a long, complex game though.

Mage Wars Academy is by the same company, but removes the board and cuts play time to approximately 1/2 hour. I haven't played it, but it looks pretty good.

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers is a very light game that uses the Magic the Gathering license. It's fun, but not particularly deep. Also, it' snot very well supported. Still, it comes out a lot at our house.

Wiz-War (eighth edition) is a very chaotic boardgame about wizards running around a maze casting crazy spells at each other. Lots of fun, but not exactly a wizard duel if that's what you are looking for.

Summoner Wars: Master Set is a game about dueling wizards, but it uses preset decks of cards that battle by deploying on a board (cards kind of substitute for miniatures, and move on a grid). Again, this feels more like a tactical positioning and combat game, but the theme is wizards summoning creatures and casting spells, so it might work for you. There is a free app for this game, so you might want to check that out if you're curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favorites are Wiz-War (eighth edition) for light chaotic fun, and Mage Wars Arena for a more complex long game.

Both have expansions, and with Mage wars you might desire to buy in multiples so that you have plenty copies of the cards you commonly use or those that complete spell books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends

Gameplay is a bit on the abstract side of things, or so I've been told, but it's probably my favourite 1v1 out there. Make some patterns, summon some things and dominate your foe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
A definite hidden gem for me is Allegiance: A Realm Divided. There are several heroes to choose from, all of which have very different skills/abilities (you have to change your playstyle for every one), and you summon units from a shared deck of cards, so players don't have to worry about constructing a deck beforehand. It basically fired MtG for me.

Another one you may want to look at is Yashima: Legend of the Kami Masters - a straight-up duel between two heroes. You need to play it a few times to learn what the characters can do and their general attack ranges (positioning is very important in this game), but once you do it really opens up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars: Arena, Long, deep, has a board, no deck draw, max ability for deck construction, and has dice for combat. I skipped on this due to already being invested so much in Summoner Wars already. Kind of glad I skipped.

Mage Wars: Academy, Shorter, still fairly deep, has no deck draw, max ability for deck construction, and has dice for combat. I picked this up since it fit my style more. Plus, it felt as close to a Magic successor as I had seen.

Summoner Wars, fairly quick play, has a board, deck draw(although smaller decks which can be gone through), minimum need for deck construction, and has dice for combat. I still think this is the best entry level mage vs. mage game. Add in 40 different summoners and replay is stupid high. Pro/con is that it is essentially dead, although again, 40 different summoners so I doubt anyone cares. My #3 game.

Ashes, fairly quick play, deck draw although you pick your first five and decks are only 30 cards(trust me, that's important in the land of 60 card decks), near max ability for deck construction, and has dice for resource generation which can be mitigated. Also, arguably the best art in these type of games if not period. The more I play it and other games the more curious I get. I might ask about running tournaments of it locally if I ever get off my butt and do so.

Seasons, Euro, VP generation vs. beat 'em up, style take on it. Fairly quick play, card drafting so you don't really have a set deck and hence max ability for "deck construction," and has chunky dice for resource generation. Huge bonus of being a fairly contained, ie not expansion heavy, game. Really like my initial play. Some people's eyes gloss over when expandable games get talked about and this is a solid entry game for them knowing just the base set is really needed and there might only ever be two expansions.

I would also add in Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set. Not a lick of originality but combined in a unique way, and reviews have been rather positive. Tom says it has fired 2-player Magic for him. I'm just tapped on these types of games so even though it is rather contained and seems good, I already have others I'm willing to invest in like the not included non-mage vs. mage and yet highly expandable things like Netrunner and GoT.

As a fan of Vlaada, I really should look into Tash-Kalar, but the abstract aspect of it keeps me away. If I had someone to play it consistently with, I would instantly grab it, but I would likely just push something else I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers is a very light game that uses the Magic the Gathering license. It's fun, but not particularly deep. Also, it' snot very well supported. Still, it comes out a lot at our house.

If you're going to recommend Magic: The Gathering, it has to be the actual card game. There are multiplayer formats like Commander, but Magic is the quintessential head-to-head mage dueling card game. The release of the latest set Kaladesh is an awesome set to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set is the new hotness. And Mage Wars Academy/Mage Wars Arena fits the criteria.

Gotta +1 Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
As a fan of Vlaada, I really should look into Tash-Kalar, but the abstract aspect of it keeps me away. If I had someone to play it consistently with, I would instantly grab it, but I would likely just push something else I had.

Most of my favourite games are heavy on the more ameritrashy elements, or at least solid hybrid designs. It doesn't feel as abstract as it perhaps should.

But it definitely has a learning period of a few games and benefits immensely from playing repeatedly with skilled opponents, say a spouse or other recurring gaming partner. If you don't have that I'd hesitate to recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Frostgrave, although it's more of a tabletop miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
allismom3 wrote:

agent easy wrote:

Wiz-War (eighth edition) is a very chaotic boardgame about wizards running around a maze casting crazy spells at each other. Lots of fun, but not exactly a wizard duel if that's what you are looking for.

+1 to both of these.

If you want a board game AND card game all wrapped in one box about wizard vs wizard duels/battles, then there is simply no other choice as eclectic and perfect as Wiz-War.

It's sheer variability will allow you to customize the game to your personal tastes. If you're not a fan of racing after treasure, then turn the game into a death match. A wizard duel between two players is possible this way and makes for an intense and lively gaming session. Pick up the expansions to get 3 more school's of magic each, extra miniatures, and even a 5th player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars Arena Forget Academy and Summoner Wars.

Magic: The Gathering gets an honourable mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

Depends on what the person is looking for. People here have more than once posted about 3 hour games due to how defensive the decks were. I can get two games of Summoner Wars in during the time I could get one Mage Wars: Arena in. Plus, Summoner Wars doesn't have to deal with the hours being spent to build spell books. For people who don't mind the investment into Arena, sure, look into it, but it isn't a simple default answer above all else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott HillJennings
United States
Cornelius
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. It is a ECG however it has a much longer expansion cycle making it much easier (and cheaper) to keep up with and if you are not interested in expansions the base box has a ton of content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That haven't already been mentioned on the thread?

Shapeshifters: You shift forms all over the place.

Warmachine and Hordes: Miniatures games allowing two powerful wizards and their retinues to duke it out.

Navia Dratp: Chess variant (really, Shogi variant) with an anime fantasy theme, all the way down to the cute protective critters. Multiple ways to win, which I like because I'm not the world's best chess player.

Serpent's Tongue: Probably hard to get ahold of, definitely an acquired taste. Kickstarter project that ran into troubles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

Depends on what the person is looking for. People here have more than once posted about 3 hour games due to how defensive the decks were. I can get two games of Summoner Wars in during the time I could get one Mage Wars: Arena in. Plus, Summoner Wars doesn't have to deal with the hours being spent to build spell books. For people who don't mind the investment into Arena, sure, look into it, but it isn't a simple default answer above all else.

Indeed, and different people will post their opinions regarding that, and I'll let anyone wanting to promote them do so. MY opinion is the Academy and SW are worthless, and I wouldn't touch them.

The reasons you listed are all upsides to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magecraft! Check out Tom Vasel's review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:

Serpent's Tongue: Probably hard to get ahold of, definitely an acquired taste. Kickstarter project that ran into troubles.

If you really want an immersive experience, this is probably the best recommendation. More than "Mage vs Mage", this is actually something of a spellcasting simulation, complete with its own arcane language and gestures. It has a fairly steep learning curve, but it has been lessened with the latest edition of the rules. It accommodates dueling, team play, co-op battles against AI opponents, and an area-control board game feature.

It is true that the company has had plenty of difficulty in the wake of the KS campaign, and some of those items are still struggling to be fulfilled. However, the company has a decent inventory of the actual game and is very good about rapidly fulfilling orders (within the USA; there are problems with Canadian/Int'l freight).

If you're interested, order directly from their website (www.becomemagi.com). All you need to get started and support a great variety of play-style options for 2 players is a "Magi's Chest" (and it actually is a robust collection in this starting set), but there are some decent bundle deals available if you're keen to expand.

The future of the game is very uncertain. But that doesn't change the fact that they did make something pretty special. It is well worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i really like Mage Wars Academy but i'll throw in a question of my own here:

are any of the games mentioned here without deck draw and dice? i.e removing any random factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
are any of the games mentioned here without deck draw and dice? i.e removing any random factor.

Navia Dratp and Serpent's Tongue don't have any random elements I can think of during play: once you decide who goes first, that should be the last random thing.

(Both package at least some of the components in random packaging for purchase. Both games have fixed starter sets (ND has two different ones), so you can start the game without any random purchases. Navia Dratp is old enough that you are unlikely to find sealed product; if you do, the sets were small enough that collecting a full set wasn't a huge difficulty. Serpent's Tongue has a larger set, but the publisher's current woes mean that prices are quite low.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.