Popular Tags: [View All]
Nino Milicic
Slovenia
Ormož
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello dear boardgamers,
I am big fun of Descent, I have in my collection core game+ all expansions+ all liuetanents+ campaign book. Becouse I need to buy all figure protections, need to sleeves cards, I paid for painted all of figures (meloras- he really know how to do job ), buy new expansion+ liuetanents every 2-3 months, I am very interesting when FFG will announce that series will end? I do not play game anymore, just buy things becouse collectionar value. I hear some rumor that Chains That Rust will be last in series, does anyone know its that true?

Thank U dear friends for any info...
Have a great day,
Nino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Unfortunately FFG is the last company that will give that kind of info out. Best to cross your fingers and hope for more expansions. I play the RtL app and am hoping for more content as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ninomili05 wrote:
I do not play game anymore, just buy things becouse collectionar value.

Board games do not retain or grow in value. CCGs and TCGs do. Your money is better spent on that, if you're choosing not to play anymore and don't care to get into stocks. I've spent around 7 - 10,000 (embarrassingly enough) on MTG, and I can tell you i'm easily making double off of my legacy viable cards.

As for what we can expect in terms of new expansions, that seems to be unknown. In my opinion, our community almost feels divided between new players from RTL and classic OL players. Is FFG going to meet us in the middle by producing the same kind of content, something that some players say we have enough of, or rather side with RTL and make content that's more directed for / by the app? We won't truly know until we hear directly from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
InfinityBlack14 wrote:

Board games do not retain or grow in value. CCGs and TCGs do. Your money is better spent on that, if you're choosing not to play anymore and don't care to get into stocks.

Value can refer to more than just financial worth. Clearly it isn't a good investment, buy many people enjoy collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nino Milicic
Slovenia
Ormož
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to buy everything for my own collection! I will not sell colletion, I want to give everything to my son tomorrow. I made 2 wooden boxes with descent logo, all of my figures have special place in the boxes, and there is no more space. I spend around 100€ for every expansion (game+painting+sleeves+deckbox+tiles book+protection for figures) and I really hope that everything will end very soon, becouse I have a lot games on my list... and I always spend money for descent!

For me this is not have money value, but if I make calculation, I think this worth around 2500€ for sure. Maybe 20 years from now, this will be worth much more, who knows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
ninomili05 wrote:
I do not play game anymore, just buy things becouse collectionar value.

Board games do not retain or grow in value. CCGs and TCGs do. Your money is better spent on that, if you're choosing not to play anymore and don't care to get into stocks. I've spent around 7 - 10,000 (embarrassingly enough) on MTG, and I can tell you i'm easily making double off of my legacy viable cards.

Not that it's an issue worth arguing over, but I'm not sure this is true. An original copy of Hero Quest in good condition goes for quite a lot these days. I'm not saying that board games are a good investment, but who knows what the future holds. In any case the poster is amassing a deluxe Descent 2nd Ed. package with painted figures and content boxes which is a pretty cool idea and adds value in my opinion.
If FFG start releasing app-based products which have no function without the app, I'd probably stop collecting at that point.
As to future expansions, I guess it all depends on how FFG's Descent sales are going. I would probably expect at least one more major release to tie things up but I'm just speculating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
There will eventually be a 3rd edition, but I can't see any reason they would completely stop publishing Descent any time soon. Dungeon crawlers are super popular right now, and this is one of the most popular.

I expect to see more app related content, but I hope they support both modes of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main reason these threads keep popping up here on BGG is that this is the first time in a LONG time that FFG doesn't have any announced expansions (physical or app). Very surprised that there wasn't at least some new content announced at GenCon, nor any new announcements since.

I think if they at least announce something in development, a lot of this "is 3rd edition Descent coming" talk would end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:
I think the main reason these threads keep popping up here on BGG is that this is the first time in a LONG time that FFG doesn't have any announced expansions (physical or app). Very surprised that there wasn't at least some new content announced at GenCon, nor any new announcements since.

I think if they at least announce something in development, a lot of this "is 3rd edition Descent coming" talk would end.

Not a fan of the 3rd edition talk either. I'd rather not have a large portion of my stuff become obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A board game doesn't need to maintain compatibility with the operating system or get patched for security reasons. The game only becomes obsolete when you stop playing it.

A Descent 2e collection may not be a good investment, but it still has value to you as long as you enjoy the game - whether or not FFG continues to produce new material.

It would be nice if they keep making more, but there's quite a lot of stuff already. Descent 2e has already given me more in terms of both content and number of games played than my 1st edition collection managed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG will release 1 big box expansion worth of content every 2 years, like they've done since Imperial Assault was released, maybe they will release more campaign books, although it will take a long time for campaign books with new content (because shadow rune book will be the next).

First I thought this would change back once IA has a few expansions, but since they will release Doom in the near future, I think IA will get the same treatment as Descent was getting since the IA release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
I think FFG will release 1 big box expansion worth of content every 2 years, like they've done since Imperial Assault was released, maybe they will release more campaign books, although it will take a long time for campaign books with new content (because shadow rune book will be the next).

First I thought this would change back once IA has a few expansions, but since they will release Doom in the near future, I think IA will get the same treatment as Descent was getting since the IA release.

It doesn't look like they're changing much with the Doom re-release - mostly just an art update. If any project is putting IA and Descent on the back burner, I would guess it's the Runewars Miniatures game. I think FFG has big plans for this, to such an extent that it may have been a factor in the breakup with GW.

They've dipped their toes into the mini-gaming field before with a few box-set games (Dust Tactics, Tannhauser and Battle Lore) and a co-produced project (Anima), but this will be their first real foray into fully collectible miniatures gaming and they really, really seem to want it to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in the last year, FFG has released two small-box expansions, several hero and monster packs, three lieutenant packs, the Road to Legend app, a full campaign for the app, and a recent large quest update for the app. There aren't any new announcements yet, but seven distinct products doesn't strike me as the kind of output we'd see for a line that was on the back burner or headed for a new edition.

Development cycles ebb and flow a bit. But I don't think Descent is nearly done with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now there's the Delve mode for the app. While they didn't mention any releases for Descent at Gen Con, they said in the in-flight report that recent sales have skyrocketed, and that's directly related to the release of the app. I don't know what sort of boxed expansions we'll see, but more and more content for the app is surely coming and will keep this cleanse thriving for awhile. And if they do have more boxed expansions they'll surely design them with the app in mind so that players of both modes of play will be pleased. I think talk of a third edition is very premature at this point.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Descent will stop, I think we can expect 1-2 expansions and then a break and 3rd edition. It just gets too big for it's own good, this is what happened with Runebound 2nd edition, there were so many expansions that a lot of people lost interest in buying more, so the 3rd edition came and now they can sell next 50 expansions. I feel Descent has reached that point already, still the app has revitalized it and thus we will see a few more expansions before it gets too big for its own good. Plus it needs an update, they changed a few rules along the way, but now they are pushing it in a direction that's incompatible with a lot of its content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
After Nerkhall came out people were convinced that was it. Then Heirs of Blood came out and people were convinced that meant no new boxed expansions. Then the last two expansions came out and people are saying that must be the last thing.

I'm sure there will be more. I do think an expansion focused on co-op play will happen, perhaps with classes/heroes/monsters with abilities that work best in co-op.

I'm also not convinced the Hero and Monster packs will stop when all the 1E material has been released, and we might see new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Descent will stop, I think we can expect 1-2 expansions and then a break and 3rd edition.

It'd be foolish to reboot a line that's riding high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this talk of a third edition isn't a viable option long term for us or for FFG...most of us on here have spent a small fortune.on the game its flexible fully moddable.and still massively popular.[even before the app] so,why would anyone want to start all over again.what could be changed so radically to get us to dump these large investments we have made to buy another version?
I was surprised they did it with runebound.as most people who have the second edition will tell you its better than the later one.and a lot more moddable too|!!.

so,i think its a fine line.
me,for one would have to see some massive changes to it.to even think about buying into it and I cant see where the changes are big enough to warrant a third edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
tootz wrote:
and I cant see where the changes are big enough to warrant a third edition.

An entirely co-op experience designed from the ground-up for app-based play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
tootz wrote:
and I cant see where the changes are big enough to warrant a third edition.

An entirely co-op experience designed from the ground-up for app-based play?

Or, simply, re-releases of the content focused on app integration. I've started looking into some of the expansions, but it would be nice if there were some focused directly on inclusion with the app, as I will never play the regular version of the game. But, that's just me. I totally understand people with full collections/play competitive would want more standard expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.