$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #6 – EPIC Napoleonics» Forums » Variants

Subject: Home rules for Epic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

With my friends at home we used to play CCA some years ago. We always followed the official rules.
But when they released the "Epic" expansion we left the official rules and played with our MUCH SIMPLER home rules.

And I'm quite sure we are gonna do the same with the next CCN Epic & Grand Battle expansion #6 ... That is play it with our home rules!

Why?

OK I know some of you will simply appreciate the new complex epic rules and enjoy playing them ... (once a year in a convention) but:

1) Come on: 95% of the time we only find a single player to battle with and you know what? We are very happy of it! Then 4% of the time (once each 4 months) we find 3 other blocks to play a 2vs2 battle and it's huge! Then 1% of the time (once a year in a convention for the lucky ones) we can play 3vs3 or more ... So WHY those Epic expansions had been obviously made for 6 or 8 players while 4 players is by far what we all are gonna find around us? Why? And about playing those Epic expansion 2vs2 with their official rules ... Come on: don't tell me that putting a guy in the middle section and the other one in BOTH SIDE SECTIONS is natural and obvious? Having a guy choosing the cards for the other? Those new Epic rules are NOT made for 2vs2 but for MORE ... They nearly SKIPPED the 2vs2 use of this game and we think it's a shame!

2) Now please don't tell me that we are gonna find those players online! I mean we can find them and to play in team is very funny but ... To manipulate all those different new HUGE WINDOWS for the hands, the decks, the giant square boards and the courrier rack boards is painful and boring! I mean all those manipulations on a normal computer screen are so hot and SLOW that the magic feeling of this (supposed) light wargame disappear and strangely you are happy when our turn ENDS!

OK: To play this beautiful game on bigger maps and inside a team is funny. But we don't like all those new rules using brain, new boards using room, no order in your section using time etc.

SO ... We are going to enjoy 1vs1 the 6 new normal Austerlitz scenarios, we are going to play 1vs1 the 10 Epic scenarios when we have the time for it (and without the courrier rack rule: only one hand against one hand and normal section rules) ... And we are going to play the 2 Grand Battle scenarios 2vs2 (plus the LGB fans scenarios) ... BUT OUR WAY!

To be simple: 2 players against 2 players / each player with 3 section in front of him / each player with his hand of cards / each player playing in turn / no courrier rack / and very few details ...

That's SIMPLE & FAST & FUN and we loved it in CCA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Epic & LGB new rules
2vs2 Home rules and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that each player plays his 3 sections as left, middle right so that each side has Left Player: Left, Middle, Right and Right Player: Left, Middle, Right so that each player can make use of all section card types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly: Each player plays a NORMAL CCN battle!

Very easy, faster and funnier than the official rules, mostly if you don't forget a bottle of wine!

A detail: A unit may finish its movement inside your teammate sections and fight. But this unit can't be ordered again by your teammate if he plays just after you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:

Very easy, faster and funnier than the official rules...

Wasn't aware the full official rules were available yet - can you share the link please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
---> http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/the-game/game-b...

Great website by the way! Stats for each scenarios and very clear and beautiful work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay...I've looked through the rules (thanks for the link), and I have some questions.....

GGleize wrote:
....playing those Epic expansion 2vs2 with their official rules ... a guy in the middle section and the other one in BOTH SIDE SECTIONS is natural and obvious? NOOOO!

Where did you get this from? As far as I can see, in 2x2 Epic, both players will be playing in all sections, not one in centre and the other left/right?

GGleize wrote:
....we don't like all those new rules using brain, new boards using room, no order in your section using time etc.

So in effect you are going to just play two games of C&C on adjacent boards, with the ability to cross units from one board to the other? Not sure how that is going to make the game flow faster and better, as you are going to have to wait for one board to finish all their movement and combat before the other side can start their next turn?

It sounds to be up honest as if you've completely missed the point of Epic games. You could always stick two board next to each other and play what are effectively two separate games. But what Epic does is present a different challenge, both to the overall commander (to dictate strategy but have no control over tactics) and to the section commanders (who have to make the best of things within the orders given by their High Command).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
It sounds to be up honest as if you've completely missed the point of Epic games. You could always stick two board next to each other and play what are effectively two separate games. But what Epic does is present a different challenge, both to the overall commander (to dictate strategy but have no control over tactics) and to the section commanders (who have to make the best of things within the orders given by their High Command).

Exact presented!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the point of the new 2vs2 Epic you are right: They changed from CCA Epic and both players can play now at any point of the board. That is good I agree! But still this courier rack ... no way! Still prefer two real hands: more fun!

As I said about our 2vs2: we tested it for several years and it worked perfectly! We didn't "missed" anything because as I said it's about 2vs2!

Here we are NEVER EVER more than 4 players and they all prefer having their own hand because of the habit from years! We do it this way and it's much more funny than to have I guy giving orders to the second!

As I already explained the points (faster and why - easier to find 4 guys than more - etc.) - I respect your taste and choice but just respect our about 2vs2 ultra fast & natural & fun home way of playing!

If you are lucky enough to find 6 or more guys in your place: I could imaging that organizing ranks and CIC might be funny but again:

1) Not online because too many screen room lack and elements for this light game after a hard day at work and ...

2) Live multiplayer might be fun but no enough players around here!

SO We are gonna play as we use: EPIC 1vs1 and LGB 2vs2 with our HOME RULE!

PS1: The average size of the choice in the Courrier Rack is 4 cards so it's not far from a real hand (but less fun for the guy playing with no hand).

PS2: Then the difference of power like 6 cards against 4 becomes 10 against 8 (average) with the courier rack while it will be 12 against 8 with our home rule witch keeps the original ratio (and gives the pleasure to manage a hand to every player).

PS3: Why not indeed play Epic 2vs2 also with a hand to each player? Then applying here the official rule of no 2 cards in the same section ... mmm

Thanks for you answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
For the point of the new 2vs2 Epic you are right: They changed from CCA Epic and both players can play now at any point of the board. That is good I agree!..... I respect your taste and choice but just respect our about 2vs2 ultra fast & natural & fun home way of playing!

If you are happy with your way of playing that's great.

What I don't respect is when someone posts who clearly hasn't read or played with a particular set of rules, but is arrogant enough to assert that their way is so very much better....especially when "their incredible way" of playing is no more than "push two boards next to each other". Not sure how that needed several years of testing....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW ... OK we did it for years and it's great so I just wanted to share it! Those web forums create sometime misunderstandings about the "spirit" of the posts! I never mean I was "sure" of our way nor than I disrespect the other ones. I post on this forum from several years now like you and I have many nice contacts and interesting exchanges with many players from many countries. So sorry but I'm not more "arrogant" (as you say) than your own answers!

Funny at the same moment I received this message from BGG:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
WOW ... OK we did it for years and it's great so I just wanted to share it! But I'm not more "arrogant" (as you say) than your own answers!

No? Look at some of the things you said about the rule set...

"...don't like all those new rules..."
"...very easy, faster and funnier than the official rules..."

By your own admission, you haven't bothered to fully read, let alone play, the new rule set - yet feel confident enough to tell the world you don't like those rules, and that yours are better. THAT is why I call you arrogant - but perhaps you have a different understanding of what the word means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I'm getting tired with your aggressive answers now!

I use to love very much this beautiful game and make compliments from years! But each time someone makes a SINGLE CRITICISM on a part of the rules or anything (As said and repeated that we use to follow all the official rules but not the Epic) ... They are some (very few thankfully) guys coming with riot guns to shoot at us!

To desagree with a rule is a FREE MAN RIGHT! And I'm gonna use this RIGHT even if (sorry about that) you don't like it!

PS: By the way, I could say some day "Hey, I changed my mind and the official epic rules are great! You were right Stuart!" ... And you? Could you do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
.....each time someone makes a SINGLE CRITICISM on a part of the rules or anything.....

Absolutely. Disagree with whatever rules you like. I'm 100% behind considered criticism of any game or rule.

Just don't be so arrogant as to slam a rule set that you have neither played nor bothered to read.

What if I said "I've not played using GGleize's rules. And I particularly dislike his rule that you MUST drink wine after every move. What terrible rules, mine are MUCH better".

You would, quite rightly, call me arrogant. You would be annoyed that I haven't bothered to read your rules properly, and made a very elementary error in what your actual rules are. You would wonder how I could dare to claim my rules are better than yours when I clearly didn't know what your rules actually are.

Criticism from someone who has read a ruleset I will support and encourage.
Criticism from someone who has not done so (yet is still convinced their rules are better), I will not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! Are you feeling ok?
Just forget it man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
WOW! Are you feeling ok?
Just forget it man!

I was going to respond, but then noticed how you've multiple edited your previous posts to completely change their tone to make my responses look disproportionate.

Classy move dude - don't worry, I won't be responding to you again if that's the way you handle debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy the game.

About us: We'll keep on enjoying our way of playing the Epic battle like we do via our home rules for years with respect for the one who play it differently!

Freedom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
GGleize wrote:
WOW ... OK we did it for years and it's great so I just wanted to share it! But I'm not more "arrogant" (as you say) than your own answers!

No? Look at some of the things you said about the rule set...

"...don't like all those new rules..."
"...very easy, faster and funnier than the official rules..."

By your own admission, you haven't bothered to fully read, let alone play, the new rule set - yet feel confident enough to tell the world you don't like those rules, and that yours are better. THAT is why I call you arrogant - but perhaps you have a different understanding of what the word means.

Wow, what a series of ridiculous and gratuitous posts by Stuart. Learn to contribute and share, this is what Guillaume is doing and is very insightful for other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.