9 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dread curse of Azatoth and Nyarlatothep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Lobato
msg tools
mb
In my last game, one of the players tried to use Yog Sothot's Dread Curse of Azatoth on Nyarlatothep with the six books.
The group could not reach an agremment if Nyarlatothep could convert the kills into pains.
Can anyone tells us what happens in this case? Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dread Curse of Azathoth specifically gets around "Battle" spell books. I cannot remember off the top of my head what type Emissary of the Outer Gods is, but if it is a "Battle" spell book, Dread Curse of Azathoth would get around it.

I looked it up. It is a (Post-Battle) ability. Dread Curse would kill him regardless of having Emissary. He cannot simply be pained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Lobato
msg tools
mb
Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Note that the same is true for Rhan-Tegoth, its "Eternal" ability is post-battle, whereas "Dread Curse" is an action and does not occur in a battle, therefore R-T cannot use "Eternal" to save itself from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The same goes for Sleeper's "Demand Sacrifice" spellbook: It's possible to kill Sleeper units via "Dread Curse of Azathoth" without letting Sleeper gain an Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Emissary of the Outer Gods" is Nyarlathotep's signature spell book. It requires him to be in play and in the Battle. It converts a KILL result rolled against Nyarlathotep himself into a PAIN result. This does not apply to his supporting units! Battles which contain Enemy Great Old Ones allow for a KILL result to go through unhindered.

The other exception is "Dread Curse of Azathoth". There are two distinct reasons why this spell book can be used to kill Nyarlathotep and Rhan-Tegoth.

1) It is "NOT" a Battle. Dice are rolled as a check to see if PAINS or KILLS are applied in the designated area to the target enemy faction. The enemy target of this spell book does not roll counter dice.

2) "No Battle-type abilities apply". This means that any abilities that are triggered from Battle being initiated or completed are not applicable.

The idea is that "Dread Curse of Azathoth" is a form of AoE bombardment that you cannot defend against (save for bad rolling on the part of the attacker).

I hope this clears up the inquiry above.

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.

EDIT: I've corrected the statements regarding "Emissary of the Outer Gods" above. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed out the original response. Oh yes! Sleep deprivation in preparation for a Sleep Apnea test this evening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertGhent wrote:
"Emissary of the Outer Gods" is Nyarlathotep's signature spell book. It requires him to be in play and in the Battle. It converts KILL results rolled against his faction into PAIN results. Battles which contain Enemy Great Old Ones allow for those KILL results to go through unhindered.
I was under the impression that only the kill assigned to Nyarlathotep is converted to a pain rather than all kill results rolled against his faction. I'll have to re-read the exact text before playing next. It just sounds way too good, but many abilities do so it all balances out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
RobertGhent wrote:
"Emissary of the Outer Gods" is Nyarlathotep's signature spell book. It requires him to be in play and in the Battle. It converts KILL results rolled against his faction into PAIN results. Battles which contain Enemy Great Old Ones allow for those KILL results to go through unhindered.
I was under the impression that only the kill assigned to Nyarlathotep is converted to a pain rather than all kill results rolled against his faction. I'll have to re-read the exact text before playing next. It just sounds way too good, but many abilities do so it all balances out

You are correct - only a single kill applied to Narly becomes a pain (which would still be applied to Narly).

However, you'd probably apply the first Kill result to Narly, which in sense does "convert KILL results against his faction into PAIN results", but only to a limit of one per battle.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

You are correct - only a single kill applied to Narly becomes a pain (which would still be applied to Narly).

However, you'd probably apply the first Kill result to Narly, which in sense does "convert KILL results against his faction into PAIN results", but only to a limit of one per battle.

Cheers,
Graham

Emissary of the Outer Gods (Post-Battle) Unless an enemy Great Old One is involved in the Battle, any Kill inflicted on Nyarlathotep becomes a Pain.

In almost every Battle situation, you can only apply a single PAIN or KILL result to a unit. One of the exceptions to this is the Starspawn who has the "Regeneration" spell book ability. Then it can soak up to two results. See page 26 of the Cthulhu Wars Manual for more details on BATTLE events.

Graham did properly describe the original intentions of my description for "Emissary of the Outer Gods". I look at it from a faction stand point and not a singular event. So yes, you will always want to apply the first KILL result to Nyarlathotep so it will be converted to a PAIN. This spares other units in your army from being lost. And it works in conjunction with "Madness" to put you in the best possible position for revenge!

So I do apologize for going Obi-Wan Kenobi on you guys. Personal point of view can be quite confusing to those translating board game rules!

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.