Subject: Guess what is in a Big Box Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So what is your guess for the contents of a big box expansion?

Here is mine:

A new board.

3 new heroes

1 new Asset set

3 new skill sets

2 scenarios with their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- new board
- automatic skill sorter and picker
- automatic asset sorter and picker
- automatic quest card sorter and picker

And other doodads that help fixing the dreadful setup with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bunch of cool stuff
1 useless cardboard insert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
- new board

I agree with this. The biggest complaint I have with Runebound 3rd edition is the designers not designing the system where all of the cards could be mixed together. Having to keep each set from each expansion separate is a huge hassle. If they could somehow fix it to where all of the cards could be mixed that would be the best improvement (expansion) that could be made to the game. In my opinion.

As for an additional board. I believe only the bottom of the board could accept an addition if I recall. All of the other sides have some sort of game assets that's needed for gameplay along the edges. But given the current design wouldn't extending the board make it even harder to travel around? I often struggle now with not being able to complete some quests due to the distance. Wouldn't adding another board make a lot of quests useless simply because you couldn't travel the distance before the time runs out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
rattkin wrote:
- new board

Adventure decks should be sorted (keeps the flavor of the adventure.)

Everything else just mix together (keep the new skills in the box until a 3rd set comes out.) Selecting sets is both unbalanced, time consuming and dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:

Came here looking for this answer.

Was not disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
People on this forum are so postive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there news they are actually coming out with one or this just a speculation wish list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
eddieharr wrote:
Is there news they are actually coming out with one or this just a speculation wish list?

No official news so far. It's more of a wishing well..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Here is mine:

A new board.

3 new heroes

1 new Asset set

3 new skill sets

2 scenarios with their cards.

Runebound 3e would be the perfect system for an expand-alone release. They should include enough in the box to play the game, while keeping it minimal enough to encourage buying the other releases.

With that in mind, I would want/expect:
- a new board
- 4 new heroes
- 3 new asset sets
- 6 new skill sets
- 1 scenario

Since the difference between this and the core set would only be 2 heroes and 1 scenario, MSRP would be around $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
theashers wrote:
bunch of cool stuff

You forgot the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
stevelabny wrote:
theashers wrote:
bunch of cool stuff

You forgot the app.

An app in a box would be difficult to install...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
My prediction will be that they are going smaller with the big box expansions as the small boxes are already quite tiny

My guess:
* Medium sized board (as an add-on to the current board) - inc a new city
* 2 new heroes
* 2 new scenarios (inc adventure cards/special cards)
* 3 new skill decks (1 per attribute)
* 2 new asset decks (themed around the new area)
* 1 new mechanic
* 10 new standard adventure cards per type

Price? Probably about $25-$30 RRP

What I'd love though as a freebie is an app to act as an AI just for the monster combat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
AndrewAU wrote:
My prediction will be that they are going smaller with the big box expansions as the small boxes are already quite tiny

My guess:
* 2 new heroes
* 1 new mechanic

What I'd love though as a freebie is an app to act as an AI just for the monster combat

2 new scenarios = the number of scenarios in the core box or the sum of the scenarios coming in 2 of the latest adventure packs. Plus the board. And the other cards. There is no way that such a box (if they'll ever produce such a thing) is priced lower than 49.99: it's more or less the same expansion to core set content that we have in EH for their big boxes

Clearly, one can dream...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
AndrewAU wrote:

My guess:
* 2 new heroes
* 1 new mechanic

2 new scenarios = the number of scenarios in the core box or the sum of the scenarios coming in 2 of the latest adventure packs. Plus the board. And the other cards. There is no way that such a box (if they'll ever produce such a thing) is priced lower than 49.99: it's more or less the same expansion to core set content that we have in EH for their big boxes

Clearly, one can dream...

Not at all, I think this is more in-line with the current pricing if anything for Runebound, from looking at the pricing based off EH for instance, the big boxes are priced about double that of the small box, keeping in mind now that Runebound small boxes contain much less than EH small boxes and retail for approx $15, I think $25-$30 is on-point for CSI pricing especially since EH big boxes also may contain more components.

If you want FFG pricing I'll revise then $30-$40 but I don't believe it'll go higher than that as the small boxes generally are half cost of the big ones, this is true for not only EH, AH, LoTR LCG and many other FFG titles regardless of base set cost.

Obviously the above is all speculation so take it as you wish meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
AndrewAU wrote:
Not at all, I think this is more in-line with the current pricing if anything for Runebound, from looking at the pricing based off EH for instance, the big boxes are priced about double that of the small box, keeping in mind now that Runebound small boxes contain much less than EH small boxes and retail for approx $15, I think $25-$30 is on-point for CSI pricing especially since EH big boxes also may contain more components.

If you want FFG pricing I'll revise then $30-$40 but I don't believe it'll go higher than that as the small boxes generally are half cost of the big ones, this is true for not only EH, AH, LoTR LCG and many other FFG titles regardless of base set cost.

Obviously the above is all speculation so take it as you wish meeple

meeple

I get what you're saying, but maybe I'm just too disillused by their most recent price policy to actually believe that they will put so much content in an expansion coming in that price range. I think big boxes will be at least 39.99 (EH and Descent big boxes price 49.99, Imperial Assault big boxes price 59.99, but the extra 10 I imagine are on Darth Mouse), but more probably 49.99, with extra board, two scenarios and a bunch of extra cards and token.

The list you made covers pretty much all what's released in the whole first wave of expansions (2 new scenarios, 4 heroes, 1 new mechanic, 10 new cards for each deck, 2 new skill decks, 2 new asset decks) that come for a total retail price of 67.80 dollars. Offering 2 new scearios, 2 heroes (instead of 4, but you have the new map to compensate), 1 new mechanic, 10 new cards for each deck, 3 new skill decks (so, 1 more here), 2 new asset decks for 25 to 30 (or for 30 to 40 as per your last post) means they offer the same amount of content for half the price. Thus, this will make appear the first wave of expansions even more overpriced that they already look, and will probably kill the sales of the first expansions. Not gonna happen.

Just my view of the thing, of course, and I do really hope that you're right, I'd love to have more good stuff for less money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidenote: if there's someone to talk about FFG, that would be Scarlet Witch. I'd rather trust her judgement :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I actually like the 'Stand Alone Expansion' idea, like Plaid Hat did for Dead of Winter. There's a lot less redundancy in Runebound, and more need for greater variety, so it's a better nomination.

Would cost the same as the base game, maybe coming with printed dice (since FFG can do that now, as in SW: Destiny), but a different board, 2 new scenarios, new skills and assets.

I guess their only reason not to is that people then don't have much incentive to buy the original core set. So they should leave out something crucial (like Heroes!) just to make people buy the original. whistle

It works for the D&D games. However I don't think FFG have a history of doing this, so I don't think it's likely. I just think it would be the best way to get a good deal for the enthusiasts among us.

More likely? New board (and I think it has to be new not an expansion), 2 heroes, 1 skill set, 1 asset set, 2 Scenarios. Price in UK I'd guess around £30 (base game is £42+).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald I
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:

The list you made covers pretty much all what's released in the whole first wave of expansions (2 new scenarios, 4 heroes, 1 new mechanic, 10 new cards for each deck, 2 new skill decks, 2 new asset decks) that come for a total retail price of 67.80 dollars. Offering 2 new scearios, 2 heroes (instead of 4, but you have the new map to compensate), 1 new mechanic, 10 new cards for each deck, 3 new skill decks (so, 1 more here), 2 new asset decks for 25 to 30 (or for 30 to 40 as per your last post) means they offer the same amount of content for half the price. Thus, this will make appear the first wave of expansions even more overpriced that they already look, and will probably kill the sales of the first expansions. Not gonna happen.

Not sure it's as simple as that. In the old days of vinyl a person could spend x for a single with 2 songs, but 3 times x for an album with 10-12 songs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what would a runebound app look like?

maybe an automated ai player? for soloers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Milarky wrote:

I don't see apps coming... (had that been the intention, we'd have already known. Plus, it's not like the SW dice app: here we have a pool of tokens constantly changing, so, there'd be the need for libraries to be constantly updated, not to mention the eternal conundrum: would adding expansion tokens be free or not? If it's free, then it's very easy to mock a new deck without buying the expansion; if it's not free, those who paid for the expansion would be pissed off). Nah, no apps coming. Plus, they need to keep some lines "app free" otherwise people will start identifying the company as the one producing boardgames with apps. So far we have 3+1 app in games: Descent, Mansions and X-Com. And at GenCon they said they'll be working on an app for Imperial Assault. So, 2 games depending on the app, two games where the app adds material. Should be enough to monitor how the market answers and to develop in case in the future different products. But adding apps to already existing games... rather difficult. Much more likely that we'll have some custom developed companion apps (see AH and EH)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Milarky wrote:

I don't see apps coming... (had that been the intention, we'd have already known. Plus, it's not like the SW dice app: here we have a pool of tokens constantly changing, so, there'd be the need for libraries to be constantly updated, not to mention the eternal conundrum: would adding expansion tokens be free or not? If it's free, then it's very easy to mock a new deck without buying the expansion; if it's not free, those who paid for the expansion would be pissed off). Nah, no apps coming. Plus, they need to keep some lines "app free" otherwise people will start identifying the company as the one producing boardgames with apps. So far we have 3+1 app in games: Descent, Mansions and X-Com. And at GenCon they said they'll be working on an app for Imperial Assault. So, 2 games depending on the app, two games where the app adds material. Should be enough to monitor how the market answers and to develop in case in the future different products. But adding apps to already existing games... rather difficult. Much more likely that we'll have some custom developed companion apps (see AH and EH)

Yeh I agree on this point, come to think of it, I think all they really need is an official solo variant rule to control the AI moves as it's just a simple decision tree as to what happens. I know there is an unofficial one but would be great to get something from FFG on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just figured that there's a bit of a problem with a new board, it would break all current quest decks because all exploration quests point to somewhere on the original map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
wspier wrote:
I just figured that there's a bit of a problem with a new board, it would break all current quest decks because all exploration quests point to somewhere on the original map...

The new board will probably have new adventure decks, otherwise as you say quests will be a problem, setup a nightmare, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.