David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the team proven their point and moved on to other aspects of machine learning? I was hoping to see some more matches. Or even implemented on KGS? Thanks for any info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't heard anything recently about AlphaGo itself. At one point, there was talk about having AlphaGo learn to play Go from scratch instead of priming it first with pro games, but I haven't heard anything on that front lately.

As far as Deepmind, the company and technology behind AlphaGo, it pops up in my news feed often. I know they are pushing into the medical field and recently I heard they used the technology to create text to speech that was generated on the fly and is the closest to the human voice computers have come yet. I've also heard about Google using the technology in their translation software, initially Chinese I think. I kind of feel like AlphaGo was Deepmind's first stop and they've moved onto bigger things at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
Or even implemented on KGS?

You realize Alpha Go is a collection of servers on multiple server racks using Google's proprietary chip? We won't be seeing that on KGS for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo#Hardware
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, you're the greatest Go playing computer ever created, but
what have you done for us lately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They've done some tests on KGS, but they haven't opened it up to challenges from other players.

They recently published professional commentaries on the Lee Sedol-AlphaGo games as well as three AlphaGo vs AlphaGo games. The latter is probably the more interesting, since we can see how AlphaGo plays against itself. You can read the commentaries at https://deepmind.com/research/alphago/.

Unofficial reports suggest they have increased the size of the AlphaGo team and are working on future developments to release to the go community. They're keeping their cards pretty close to the vest, though, so we don't know exactly what they are doing.

In the meantime, the bot Zen19K2 currently has the top ranked spot on KGS after implementing some of the ideas described in the AlphaGo paper. It's not as strong as AlphaGo, but it is professional strength. The rate of development of go playing bots is incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Honestly they should run alphago until it solves 13x13 Go. Maybe it could solve 19x19 but that would be a disaster for the professionals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyClark wrote:
Honestly they should run alphago until it solves 13x13 Go. Maybe it could solve 19x19 but that would be a disaster for the professionals.

I think AI will gain sentience long before we solve 13x13, let alone 19x19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
CoreyClark wrote:

I think AI will gain sentience long before we solve 13x13, let alone 19x19.

Yeah, playing go well and solving go are two very different things. AlphaGo isn't the right program to solve, and solving 13×13 isn't possible in a reasonable amount of time with today's computers ("reasonable" here means "before the Sun explodes").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
It beat the worlds best Go player http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40042581
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It obviously hasn't spent much time chillin' with Obama on
Branson's private island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.