Joel Smith
Australia
Mount Helen
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rule book from cover to cover, and last night attempted to play a Solo game, but struggled really hard to work out how to play.

I've been tempted to play a solo 2 player PvE game just to understand it a little better.

Maybe I was tired, but I just couldn't get my head around it.

I'm thinking of shelving it until someone else either puts together a How To Play Solo video, or a PDF guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was it specifically the solo variant rules that were perplexing?

I played a few games of the solo. The solo variant (and different setup requirements for solo) seemed to be pretty well laid out for me, the part that I had to read with a bit more focus involved the adding of enemies off to the side over time whenever I didn't attack them. Certainly not a bad experience, and in fact the scoring system allows for decent replayability of the solo experience.

To be honest, the game seems like it really needs people to be at its best.

I hope you can give it another whirl at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Smith
Australia
Mount Helen
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my biggest issue was understanding how the monsters work in solo play. From what I read in the rules of a basic 2+ game, the players have the option to adventure, or pass. But in the case with Solo, you don't have an choice, well you do, but if you don't monsters get deployed to near your army.

Because at the start of the game you don't get to deploy an army until after combat, so i assume that you draw cards from either Dungeon 1, 2, 3 or the Wilderness desk. (side question: I only assume treasures get discarded this way if you don't adventure yourself?)

The bit I find confusing, is the "if there are 3 or more face wandering monsters... discard all and destroy a building of highest Defense", do these sit there (if less than 3) until you build an army and go adventuring, or do they attack come combat phase, regardless of adventuring. (and what if there were monsters there, and i was to go adventuring" does the new monster(s) get added to this group that are already near my army?

The above is pretty much the confusions i had while attempting the solo variant of PoE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
badge
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they sit there, not attacking, until you draw the third one, which destroys your building and discards itself and the other two monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.