Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just starting playing Paperback on IOS and really enjoying it.

Anyone know if there is a game out there that is of similar style to this but that works with numbers instead of letters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

A deck building game that uses numbers instead of words, for
the linguistically challenged?

Red7 might fill the bill.

Any number of card-based games such as Canasta

Maybe tile games such as Kings Cribbage or Sumoku
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
Jooles wrote:

Anyone know if there is a game out there that is of similar style to this but that works with numbers instead of letters?

I'm not sure I follow. What's the style you are looking for?

Instead of forming words, you would just form numbers or would there be specific numbers you needed to form? Kind of a number goal pile.
Not just forming numbers but using numbers and symbols to produce certain results.

I remember in math our teacher asking us to use the numbers 1-4 in any combination with any mathematical symbols to try to produce the numbers 1 to 100. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10; 42 - 12 = 30; etc. That was my introduction to factorials.

Anyway, something like that is what I mean. A manipulating numbers instead of letters game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rummikub
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few dice games that have multiplication subtraction division and addition signs on them. Could use d10s. There are also dice that have fractions if you can to up the ante.

[geekurl=http://dlhoyt.com/giantmathwinder/]Giant Math Winder [/geekurl]
Teams trying to connect one side of the board to the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooles wrote:
Not just forming numbers but using numbers and symbols to produce certain results.

I remember in math our teacher asking us to use the numbers 1-4 in any combination with any mathematical symbols to try to produce the numbers 1 to 100. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10; 42 - 12 = 30; etc. That was my introduction to factorials.

Anyway, something like that is what I mean. A manipulating numbers instead of letters game.

First two games that come to mind are Krypto and Number Please!.

In Krypto, a certain amount of cards (numbers) are flipped over; first one to come up with an equation using all cards with any mathematical operations scores a point.

I think Number Please! is similar, but uses colored dice instead of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a big +1 for Krypto. Check out the free apps on google play too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this is off-topic, but the numeric equivalent title keeps making me think of this sketch: https://youtu.be/c-s1wYFwdD4?t=2m4s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses.

It seems that many of the recommended games are pretty dated or perhaps overly simple and that there is a niche to be filled that's just crying out for a Flowers-esque, Ryan Goldsberry-inspired, numbers-based game for number lovers out there, filled with interesting mathematical concepts.

Called Codebreakers maybe, or Prime Numbers or something like that. I wonder if those guys do requests?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eh maybe, I'd have to try it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooles wrote:
Davej360 wrote:
Jooles wrote:

I'm not sure I follow. What's the style you are looking for?

Instead of forming words, you would just form numbers or would there be specific numbers you needed to form? Kind of a number goal pile.

Maybe something like the Countdown numbers game? You draw 6 numbers and can use them each using + - * / to get a target number. You get 10 points for getting it exactly or -1 per number away. Could be a fun variation but probably a nightmare to balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:
eh maybe, I'd have to try it out

Backed on Kickstarter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemidus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.