Daniel Sell
United Kingdom
Dagenham
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game that lets you feel like you're running a country or empire or similar thing. Something that isn't entirely focused on combat ideally.

The Republic of Rome was pretty decent, but the huge player count limited its potential for my group. Empires of the Middle Ages was even better but again, player count is not ideal. We generally play as a group of 3 or 4.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you looked into any of the 4X games? Many of them focus on fictional space empires, but Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game focuses on historical empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sell
United Kingdom
Dagenham
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a gander at the 4X pile but they're mostly very combat focused. Plus they didn't include my examples, so it seems the category is a little off whatever it is I'm looking for.

Junta would be absolutely perfect if it played with 4 nicely (that's not stopping me from buying it BUT STILL).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. President

Solo game on GMT. Not expected out for about a year. But I think this is the game you are looking for. Unless you want a MP game. Then it isnt for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what aspect of the definition you focus on, Labyrinth could be seen as a game about running a country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Sadly, Junta plays even worse with less than five players then RoR does.

Blood Royale might work if you can pick up a reasonably priced second hand copy.

Or, as a bit of a long shot, Henry VIII: Intrigue in the Tudor Court doesn't quite qualify but may scratch the same itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel David Cruz
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look to Plus Ultra: The Court of the Emperor Charles V. Perhaps, it is what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for the OP's game for over a decade and haven't found a great candidate.

I'll +1 Blood Royale, but it's better with 5.
Maybe Founding Fathers?
Among Nobles?
Democrazy (j/k)

Had not heard of Plus Ultra...hafta go check that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
pete belli wrote:

Sadly, Junta plays even worse with less than five players then RoR does.

Blood Royale might work if you can pick up a reasonably priced second hand copy.

Or, as a bit of a long shot, Henry VIII: Intrigue in the Tudor Court doesn't quite qualify but may scratch the same itch.

It's true that Junta plays best with more players. But Junta was designed with the joke in mind (generally applicable to the region and the times depicted) that the economic and regulatory systems in place couldn't work. There was no system in the game to entirely redesign the banking, agricultural, and industrial institutions so failure and revolution were guaranteed even if a player wanted to run a benevolent government.

The components were kind of schlocky (and even the rulebook wasn't written seriously) but the game kind of serves as an educational tool for describing the political situation in the region from the late nineteenth century up until...well, Venezuela is still like that.

It's worth keeping a copy for its educational value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be too combat-oriented for you, but After the Holocaust was a really fun mess of shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Politics: The Nightmare Continues by Michael Laver is a tongue-in-cheek look at political game theory. The 'jokes' are dated and lame, but the parlor style games are at least a first step in a game genre that doesn't exist, but should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sell
United Kingdom
Dagenham
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Holocaust looks like it's in the right area. Opinions of it seem lukewarm though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladivarius wrote:
After the Holocaust looks like it's in the right area. Opinions of it seem lukewarm though.

After the Holocaust is long, very heavy on the bookkeeping, and somewhat depressing to play. However, it genuinely feels like a knife fight in an (economic) phone booth. I was only able to play it twice before losing the game in a flood, but both games were immersive. You definitely need to have the right crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Democracy: Majority Rules - I haven't played it. There's plenty of KS bitterness so I can't determine how objective the reviewers are, but I'd like to at least try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This geeklist looks like it might have games of interest to you.

Historical simulations for non wargamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Here are a bunch more games to consider:

New World
Mare Nostrum
7 Ages
Warlords: China in Disarray, 1916-1950
Antike II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.