Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant: The Full City (Combines Museum and Streets) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Reverman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This variant requires the "Elder Sign" base game (ES), the "Unseen Forces" expansion (UF), and the "Gates of Arkham" expansion (GoA).

I have seen a number of posts about trying to mix the Museum and Streets Adventure cards. My group has put together what has become our preferred way to play, which we call "The Full City".

Set up is fairly straight forward. Shuffle both the Museum and Streets Adventure Decks separately. Of the six cards put in the play area, two of them are dedicated to the Museum cards, while the other four are for the Streets cards. During set up, all of the Streets cards come into play face down. Additionally, the four Museum Shops and the Streets Entrance are all available.

During a player's turn, they may move to any of the Adventures as per normal, Shops as normal for UF, or go to the Streets Entrance and move to any Adventure card as per GoA rules.

Generally, Gate Spawning uses the Streets rules and tokens. Things that reference the Museum cards (like the Museum Map) only works on Museum Adventures. Similarly the Bank of Arkham pulls from the bottom of the Streets Adventure Deck. Adventure cards are replaced by cards from their appropriate decks.

MYTHOS DECK!
The Mythos deck is a combination of base game, UF, and GoA. Salt to taste, but when we made ours, we wanted a nice variety of 'interesting' things. We didn't want fluff of just adding a doom and losing some health. We wanted things that gave choices, were unique, or otherwise fun.

The Mythos Deck we use consists of 38 Cards:
ES Base: "A Warning... Of a Curse"
UF:"Hope Flees... Amid the Stillness", "Wrack... Or Ruin", "A Fresh Start... Or Needed Aid", "Alone... Or Out of Time", "For Every Blessing... A Curse", "Haste... Or Waste", "Lost... Or Found", "Setbacks... Or Penalties", "The Time is Right... For Knowledge", "The Time is Right... For Technology", "The Time is Right... For Sorcery", "Time Slips Away... Amid the Stillness"(x2), "War... Or Pestilence", "Hopeless... or Doomed", and "A Warning... Of Grave Danger".
GoA: "A Warning... Of Barred Ways", "Man's Decent... Tempts Fate", "Strange Sights... For a Dark Fate", "Emerging Creatures... Bring Ruin", "Shatter Worlds... As Funds Run Dry", "Shattered Worlds... Herald the End", "Stirring Darkness... Opens the Way", "The Ancient One Stirs... And Aid Arrives", "Emerging Creatures... Reveal Dangerous Worlds", "Dark Portals... Steal Memories Away", "Humanity Fights... While Time Slips Away", "Silver Twilight Aid... Heralds the End", "A Noble Sacrifice... Opens the Way", "Dark Portals... Reveal Terrifying Worlds", "Out of Time...Amid the Stillness", "A Dark Purpose... Invokes Madness", "Sheldon Assistance... Rends the Veil", "Creatures from Beyond...Herald the End", "Common Ground... Temps Fate", "A Dark Purpose... Devours the Unwary", and "Shatter Worlds... For a Dark Future".

Why we like this:
This seems to be the best of all worlds. We get to use Blessed and Cursed a bit more than Streets allows. The Museum Cards have Gate Spawning rewards which can be a double edged sword while using the Streets rules. Since there are more cards to draw on, you see the same cards less often. Thematically, the Arkham Museum should be an option to go to while in Arkham City.

This variant is a simple way to use all of the materials for the Museum as well as the Streets, and is our number one way to play. We don't really have a desire to play either the Museum or Streets alone since we have such a nice balance here.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Bates
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. I usually just mix everything together for a fun free-for-all, but sometimes you want a little structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This like a fantastic way to merge everything in an organized way. Next time I have this game out I would love to try this. Thanks for posting the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
funny how the Mythos deck only has one Base card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Catacombs & Castles: expansion and standalone game coming soon to Kickstarter!!! B-)
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play this the same way except we split the adventure cards to 3 museum/3 streets rather then the 2/4 you suggest. Works great this way as well. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reyes
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We will tries this variant. Didn't want all the museum cards go to waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple variant that works well and doesn't require any over thinking and keeps the game flowing nicely. Bravo...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.