Subject: Custom Tokens and Card Holders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello, all.

My wife and I fell in love with this game and we thought we'd make some 3d tokens to spice it up. It's somewhat annoying at times to pick up the little cardboard pieces, especially after too much Mudder's Milk.

They're designed to fit onto the ship cards. I've thought about creating a 3d printed cargo hold to overlay onto the card to keep the tokens in proper alignment but haven't gotten around to it.

We're curious to know what you think about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are awesome.
Would you share the stl files or upload them onto thingiverse.com?
I would love to make those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I thought about this for my own token designs but in the end went for something "flatter" – the game takes enough storage space already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
When I checked with UPS a year ago on printing a double-stand similar to what you have, they quoted me $30 for just one of them! I'm sure prices have come down since then but I get the feeling it's still fairly expensive compared to mass-produced goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
These look awesome! Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Soltaris wrote:
When I checked with UPS a year ago on printing a double-stand similar to what you have, they quoted me $30 for just one of them! I'm sure prices have come down since then but I get the feeling it's still fairly expensive compared to mass-produced goods.

I'm going to check with shapeways to see how much they think these would cost to print. UPS' mark up is absurd considering the inexpensive nature of the materials. I can't produce them myself because my printer can only run a couple hours a day due to neighbor noise issues. I don't want to upload them on thingverse because I don't really like their EULA.

I appreciate the compliments.

Any criticisms or suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Firedrake wrote:
Interesting! I thought about this for my own token designs but in the end went for something "flatter" – the game takes enough storage space already.

Absolutely true. We use the main box with aftermarket card boxes for the cards, a second box for the ships, rules, and boards, then the third for the tokens. It's cumbersome, but we can't afford a crate, even though they're gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Shapeways's costs for small pieces excessive - sure, their printers are good, but for the things I was producing nobody would ever buy them.

If you don't mind a straight FDM/PLA setup, I'd be happy to run off your pieces (as I already am for my own designs) at a price where I can make a profit (which several people here have taken advantage of already with my own designs), and add on to that whatever royalty you see fit. Drop me a GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
After some deliberation and seeing that shapeways is insane in their cost structure (almost 9 dollars? WHAT?!) I'm gonna post them on thingverse. I'm not going to get rich off of these, so I may as well learn a thing or two. As well as give back to you all, who have made some awesome fan additions to this game.

http://www.thingiverse.com/groups/firefly-board-game/things

Will be adding more as I upload them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, these look great! I really like the look of them, and, despite the fact that this game already takes up a ton of space, am seriously considering nabbing some of these. This leads to my question: how many minutes (roughly) do each of these pieces take to print?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
dprcooke wrote:
Firstly, these look great! I really like the look of them, and, despite the fact that this game already takes up a ton of space, am seriously considering nabbing some of these. This leads to my question: how many minutes (roughly) do each of these pieces take to print?

It depends on the speed and ability of the printer, but I can print them under 10 minutes per piece.

Edit: Just for the tokens, the card holders take quite a bit longer. I haven't had a chance to upload those.

Thanks for the kind words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DMDesign wrote:

I really love what you've done here. The fuel barrels are my stand out favourite!

I might have gone for with a single large wooden crate shape for the cargo - simpler and less busy. Plus I think the scale would match better with your passenger luggage.

The tool box is not bad. But it looks wrong in green. Can't think up any alternative ideas though.

The passenger luggage token is pretty awesome just the way it is - I wouldn't change it.

That card holder is pretty slick for saving space on the table. The only thing I might suggest is an optional riser add-on to allow for putting a second rank raised behind the first.

Awesome work! And many thanks for sharing your great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Elliott
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DMDesign wrote:
After some deliberation and seeing that shapeways is insane in their cost structure (almost 9 dollars? WHAT?!) I'm gonna post them on thingverse. I'm not going to get rich off of these, so I may as well learn a thing or two. As well as give back to you all, who have made some awesome fan additions to this game.

Just curious, have you ever gotten around to uploading the cardholders? The tokens are awesome, but the cardholders would be even more so (plus very VERY useful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
kuma133 wrote:
DMDesign wrote:

I really love what you've done here. The fuel barrels are my stand out favourite!

I might have gone for with a single large wooden crate shape for the cargo - simpler and less busy. Plus I think the scale would match better with your passenger luggage.

The tool box is not bad. But it looks wrong in green. Can't think up any alternative ideas though.

The passenger luggage token is pretty awesome just the way it is - I wouldn't change it.

That card holder is pretty slick for saving space on the table. The only thing I might suggest is an optional riser add-on to allow for putting a second rank raised behind the first.

Awesome work! And many thanks for sharing your great work!

Thank you! The crates were my first ever attempt at modelling something for a game and I started out full size and scaled it down. Virtually all of the details I put in disappeared. Ever since I have been modelling at the real size in order to fully understand just how little detail can be added. Of all of the designs, the crates are the one that I like from about 12-16 inches away, any closer and I get all upset about the details being lost.

Agreed about the green, I'm only printing them that color for game-world consistency. I tossed around the idea of a large wrench, but at that size, it never really worked.

I strongly suggest printing the fuel barrels at 100% fill. They have a nice weight to them that way, and are less likely to tip over.

I wouldn't want to print a riser, I would probably try to find an inexpensive thing to shove under them simply due to time and material considerations. We line them all up at the end of the table, items at the back and jobs in front.

YmerejO42 wrote:
DMDesign wrote:

Just curious, have you ever gotten around to uploading the cardholders? The tokens are awesome, but the cardholders would be even more so (plus very VERY useful).

I had forgotten, but will upload them soon. I apologize for the delay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Standard: For Gear

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1924234

Wide: For Jobs

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1924239

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Elliott
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DMDesign wrote:

Hate to keep bothering you, but one more question: Is the standard holder large enough to hold the nav decks and misbehaves? Especially with the new expansion coming out next spring that'll add another 40 Misbehaves, I thought I'd rather ask than just order them printed and hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
YmerejO42 wrote:
DMDesign wrote:

Hate to keep bothering you, but one more question: Is the standard holder large enough to hold the nav decks and misbehaves? Especially with the new expansion coming out next spring that'll add another 40 Misbehaves, I thought I'd rather ask than just order them printed and hope.

The card holders are sized for the current job and gear decks. Nav cards are too numerous for these. Misbehaves currently fit, but won't after the expansion. Sorry.

My wife and I use this for nav decks.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:434793

We count out the cards from the deck (top) onto the table as we fly, then put them in the discard (bottom)after we're done moving. This way, if we're drin...not paying attention, we can count the cards to know how far we've gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One slight problem with that design, which also happens (even more so) with the clear acrylic business-card holders I bought: it's easy to take an accidental look at the bottom face-down card if you move the various holders round the table to where they're needed. Though I suspect a higher back would make it unstable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Firedrake wrote:
One slight problem with that design, which also happens (even more so) with the clear acrylic business-card holders I bought: it's easy to take an accidental look at the bottom face-down card if you move the various holders round the table to where they're needed. Though I suspect a higher back would make it unstable.

A blank card on the bottom of each stack is how we would deal with that. I know better than to cheat when playing games with my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.