Popular Tags: [View All]
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could Trevor or Adam be explicit and tell us which countries are considered "African" for game purposes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Africa is defined in the Glossary on page 27 of the rules.

"Africa: All countries south of the Mediterranean Sea and west of the Red sea including Egypt, Mali and Nigeria."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that include Israel? Somalia? (My geography leaves a lot to be desired, so I was hoping more for a list of countries that fall under the region name.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morocco, Algeria/Tunisia, Egypt, Sudan, Kenya/Tanzania, Somalia, Mali, Nigeria.

Israel is clearly excluded per the definition: it's on the eastern shore of the Mediterraean and north of the Red Sea. And I've never heard anyone call Israel an "African" country.

I've always assumed Somalia is an African country for game purposes. However, I can see that it technically does not meet the rulebook definition. Though Somalia is south (not west) of the Red Sea, I'd say common sense indicates that it's an African country, it being part of the horn of Africa and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Good question Peter. I'll have to defer to Trevor. I've always considered Somalia and Kenya/Tanzania as Africa, but not Israel.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
For game terms there are a total of 9 countries in Africa. Just need to add Libya to Stephen's set and its complete.

Africa = Morocco, Algeria/Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Kenya/Tanzania, Somalia, Mali, Nigeria.

I will include the words "west of the Red Sea / Indian Ocean" to clarify the Eastern boundary of Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevorbender wrote:
For game terms there are a total of 9 countries in Africa. Just need to add Libya to Stephen's set and its complete.

Africa = Morocco, Algeria/Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Kenya/Tanzania, Somalia, Mali, Nigeria.

I will include the words "west of the Red Sea / Indian Ocean" to clarify the Eastern boundary of Africa.

The list makes it a lot clearer, rather than expressing vague boundaries (in game terms; the seas and oceans aren't marked.) and letting people bicker over what counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.