Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Israeli Air Force Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Coming soon to Kickstarter... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Recon [+] Games [+] War [+] Board [+] Card [+] of [+] Rules [+] Upcoming [+] Air [+] DVG [+] [View All]
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
After all these years, IAF Leader is finally going to get a Kickstarter... Said to be happening alongside Sherman Leader's Kickstarter no less!

All Credit to DVG's Facebook Page for these images

The new Invasion Track goes up anytime an Invasion Card comes into play. Destroy them in order to preserve Israel's independence and existence!

The current Mission Board - I'm hoping that the final board will have an extra set of Pre-Approach Areas a la Hornet Leader: CAO in order to accommodate the longer-ranged munitions used by IAF and Bandits/Sites.

Now things will get interesting with the ability to command both Prop and Jet fighters alike. Case in point, this P-51D will be among your best birds in the earlier years.

And another major change is that some Targets in the earlier Campaigns will have fewer Hits to destroy to compensate for older IAF Aircraft having fewer Weight Point limits.
And also, like this Government Building - There are Escalation Targets. Destroying these will have nice VP effects, but biased UN repercussions will make life difficult for your Pilots, so it's pretty much risk and reward.

And lastly, a brand new element for the Leader series as a whole... Being able to purchase skills for your Pilots!

Still don't believe me? See for yourselves on DVG's Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/dan.verssen.games/

And again, credit to Dan Verssen Games. I look forward to suggesting more and giving feedback to this up-and-coming title as it happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I cannot say "Yay" enough. Already pre-ordered it many moons ago. Now we just need Huey Leader...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:
I cannot say "Yay" enough. Already pre-ordered it many moons ago. Now we just need Huey Leader...

Me too.

Emphasis on many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a Sherman Leader with the real Sherman, ACW style. But I guess that should be a subject for another topic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
True, Luka - But DVG IS planning to release a Sherman Leader Kickstarter in conjunction w/IAFL.

Now folks, feast your eyes on the brand-new Record Sheet!

Credit to Dan Verssen Games and its Facebook page.

Let's keep the support coming! I'm certain that a representative from DVG will come along to feed us more information soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Thanks for keeping everyone up to date on BGG for us!!!

Check out our Facebook page to stay up to date on all DVG progress. We are definitely making a point to keep everyone more in the know on game progress as well as answer more questions.

-Sarah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
Thanks for keeping everyone up to date on BGG for us!!!

Check out our Facebook page to stay up to date on all DVG progress. We are definitely making a point to keep everyone more in the know on game progress as well as answer more questions.

-Sarah

Not a problem, and you're welcome Sarah. IAFL is most likely destined to be the best in the Flight Leader series yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandvp124_seraph wrote:
True, Luka - But DVG IS planning to release a Sherman Leader Kickstarter in conjunction w/IAFL.

I think you didn't get what I was saying.
I'd love to see a leader game based on Tecumseh Sherman and his exploits in American Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I think you didn't get what I was saying.
I'd love to see a leader game based on Tecumseh Sherman and his exploits in American Civil War.

Oh, maybe you could try creating a Petition for a Field Commander Sherman? Since DVG's planning one for Robert E. Lee.

But what have you to say about IAFL, Luka? And so far, Sherman Leader (as in the M4 Tank) is apparently going to have its Kickstarter alongside IAFL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
And now, ladies and gentlemen! I present to all of you, the Suez Crisis 1956 Campaign Sheet!

Credit to Dan Verssen Games and their Facebook page

EDIT: Feast your eyes upon one of the Escalation Cards... Prolonged Conflict! As mentioned prior, these Cards bring out the risk and reward piece of destroying specific Targets.

Credit once again to DVG and their Facebook page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Back again with an image of an updated version of the Suez Crisis Campaign!

That's right, certain historical events are recreated in this brand-new entry!

The Recon Track this time around represents the number of Targets you have to draw per Day - Demonstrating which Targets influence the invasion the most and how well you're really doing in defending Israel.
Also, certain Campaigns will have differing Bandits and Sites.
Further, the Pilot Loss Penalty is reflected like this.
Nominal: No penalties, and you gain a free Green Pilot as a compensation
Moderate: All the Pilots in your Squadron gain some stress.
Severe: You lose VPs for every Pilot lost.

Credit to Dan Verssen Games and their Facebook page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
The excitement continues with the Campaign Sheet for the Six Days' War!
Credit to DVG and its Facebook Page.

I hope that an alternate map with missions in Jordan and the Golan Heights will be among the Kickstarter goals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
New set of updates, right here, right now!

Here's an updated version of the Six Days' War Campaign Sheet...

And this here's the Campaign Sheet for the Yom Kippur War 1973! Things are bound to get interesting with an Expert Campaign!

Stay tuned for additional updates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
And oddly enough, the fifth [out of six] planned Campaign maps... When I remember there being more as initially advertised, the 1982 Lebanon War! BUT WHAT'S THIS?! I see a whole bunch of historically inaccurate weapons in the mix!

Credit to Dan Verssen Games and their Facebook page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now, we come to the 2006 Lebanon War.

A couple more advertised Campaigns, coupled with refining the rulebook, and the Kickstarter may officially begin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's nearly time...

Credit to DVG and their Facebook page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still couldn't be sure if this game was going to take its inspiration on Thunderbolt Apache Leader for the map layout, or on the usual Phantom Leader Deluxe approach ?

The latter would definitively put me off for the game... If it's more like TAL, even though the context of the game doesn't interest me in the least, I'm actually rather intrigued by all the new mechanics introcuded ^^

EDIT : okay, just found out it's gonna be a Leader board I'll skip this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eawyne wrote:
I still couldn't be sure if this game was going to take its inspiration on Thunderbolt Apache Leader for the map layout, or on the usual Phantom Leader Deluxe approach ?

The latter would definitively put me off for the game... If it's more like TAL, even though the context of the game doesn't interest me in the least, I'm actually rather intrigued by all the new mechanics introcuded ^^

EDIT : okay, just found out it's gonna be a Leader board I'll skip this...

If it were to be a TAL clone, it would've been called "Kfir-Tzefa Leader" instead of Israeli Air Force Leader. And I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to support this title's Kickstarter. The money invested into it is Kevin Erik Verssen's paycheck, and if it fails, he'll be in dire straits financially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've backed it.

It looks to offer more than Phantom Leader - both in aircraft types, target types, skills and drama - after all if you fail as the IAFL Isreali could well cease to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I've backed it.

It looks to offer more than Phantom Leader - both in aircraft types, target types, skills and drama - after all if you fail as the IAFL Isreali could well cease to be.

...Yeah. Hopefully, Monsieur Leguern will join in the effort. Especially with a recreation of the attack on the Iraqi Nuclear Reactor in '81.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a critical mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandvp124_seraph wrote:
If it were to be a TAL clone, it would've been called "Kfir-Tzefa Leader" instead of Israeli Air Force Leader. And I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to support this title's Kickstarter. The money invested into it is Kevin Erik Verssen's paycheck, and if it fails, he'll be in dire straits financially.

Yeah, well now that you say so, it's clear I should've paid attention to the "scale" indication of the name ^^ But as I said also, I'm not too keen on the gameplay associated with that scale. Whatever the new mechanics, I was bored to no end in Phantom Leader Deluxe with that central target board, the abstract rendition of the surroundings and ennemy units scattered around. Compared to the tactical intricacies of TAL, it didn't hook me up enough. The system has its merits, that I agree with. It's just not for me. I preferred the distinction of pilot from aircraft of TAL, too ; there also seemed to be far less weapon counters, and that actually felt like an improvement. Looked more focused.

(I should mention that Gato Leader seems to have a better approach for me : we are in the center of that board, the context of submarine warfare justifies and even encourages the abstract and "emptiness", and I feel more attracted to it regarding its narrative context).

So if DVG was now holding a Kickstarter for an improved Submarine game during WWI and adding the possibilities to play as Germany and some other tweaks like skills, I'd be happy to put my money in it ; but as it is, the gameplay and the narrative context are huge deterrents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough.

WWI submarine leader sounds interesting..

What about WWI raider leader?

I'm still interested in Dogboat Leader as a WWII med game built around Fairmile D MGBs etc

Along with WWII convoy leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eawyne wrote:
grandvp124_seraph wrote:

Yeah, well now that you say so, it's clear I should've paid attention to the "scale" indication of the name ^^ But as I said also, I'm not too keen on the gameplay associated with that scale. Whatever the new mechanics, I was bored to no end in Phantom Leader Deluxe with that central target board, the abstract rendition of the surroundings and ennemy units scattered around. Compared to the tactical intricacies of TAL, it didn't hook me up enough. The system has its merits, that I agree with. It's just not for me. I preferred the distinction of pilot from aircraft of TAL, too ; there also seemed to be far less weapon counters, and that actually felt like an improvement. Looked more focused.

(I should mention that Gato Leader seems to have a better approach for me : we are in the center of that board, the context of submarine warfare justifies and even encourages the abstract and "emptiness", and I feel more attracted to it regarding its narrative context).

So if DVG was now holding a Kickstarter for an improved Submarine game during WWI and adding the possibilities to play as Germany and some other tweaks like skills, I'd be happy to put my money in it ; but as it is, the gameplay and the narrative context are huge deterrents.

I disagree.

Phantom Leader often kept me on the edge of my seat because of tight WP limits on my aircraft, and having to watch the Politics track. It's tougher than I humanely realized after enjoying a lot of successful scenarios in Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations. In fact, try playing HLCAO - As the situations are faster paced, and you've got some superior weapons to work with like the AIM-54s, AIM-120s and the JDAMs.

TAL would've benefited more if the difficulty was made a bit more balanced. Such as having the Surge not putting such tight time constraints on me and having a more lenient SO management. Also, some of the Aircraft weapons scream artistic license [AIM-92s on an A-10 or an AV-8B? Really?]

Also, I contributed to the project behind IAFL... With things such as the Overwatch Skill, PAK FAs as enemies in the Middle Eastern Invasion 2020 scenario and making sure that every aircraft's weaponry were historically and realistically accurate. FYI, I wasn't paid, no more than I gave suggestions to help make it a good game.

The only way a KS for a WW1 title like that to materialize is for IAFL, Sherman Leader and Huey Leader to all succeed... And if Gato Leader and U-Boat Leader's 2nd Edition have a good overall reception.

IAFL does not succeed, Sherman and Huey Leader's KS will fall apart as well... In turn, if any of these fail in their Kickstarter campaigns, there may never again be another Leader title.

I'm just saying that IAFL or the others could make or break the existence of the franchise as a whole.

It's all or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are, indeed, totally entitled to your opinion, your fresh enthusiasm, your dedication and hopes laugh I may even have a different experience from your plays on each and every Leader installment of the franchise.

But you disagreeing has no value on my impressions and feedback on how I perceived a game, namely PHL. Yes, there's a political track, there are tense moments, sometimes ones of joy, sometimes others of frustration, but all this icing has no meaning if the core of the gameplay didn't add up for me.

You may have contributed to the extent that your name appears in the manual, and that's actually terrific ! But that doesn't change the fact that, in essence, IAFL will have the same core gameplay as PHL. And I'm not interested.

There are going to be skills ? Okay, great. Weapons will be historically and technically accurate ? Okay, good. Politics and campaign linking will make the game alive ? Cool ! Invasion will be a factor to consider when selecting targets ? Great ! But there will still be a card, a target, put in the middle of a board, with nothing around but some counters representing ennemies and bandits ; there will be aircrafts with integrated pilots ; there is a context and narrative that has absolutely no meaning and no interest whatsoever to me.

TAL might have some artistic licence in its weapons, or constraints in SO, but added to what I perceive as an incridebly narrative gameplay, these are abyssimally minor quirks to me. I don't like this Leader gameplay, I don't want to invest in a huge box that will take dust or that I'm gonna have to exchange sooner or later.
(And yes, I mention it again, but Gato Leader has the same gameplay but with a huge twist. And that's why I'm more interested in getting Gato Leader than IAFL).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.