Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cult of Kahless on Defence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops! Hit Submit by accident.

Can you use Cult of Kahless as the Defender? I'm assuming no because of this passage on pg.23 of the Rulebook,

"Some Special Rules on Advancements or Command Consoles may require you to Exhaust a Command to use the Rule. Special Rules requiring the use of a Command may be used multiple times per turn. Unless they say otherwise, Special Rules may only be used on your turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it says "In each Round of a Space Battle" I believe it says otherwise.

Defenders participate in each Round of a Space Battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that section is supposed to read that if a special rule requires exhausting a command you can use it only on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call Daniel.

That passage troubles me a little though.

By the strict reading of the rules shouldn't Klingon High Council (+1 Hegemony) only work on your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
I think that section is supposed to read that if a special rule requires exhausting a command you can use it only on your turn.

I wish it did, but I think it reads like this, "Special Rules may only be used on your turn unless they say otherwise."

What would be an example of this? Why is this rule there? What is it trying to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
"Some Special Rules on Advancements or Command Consoles may require you to Exhaust a Command to use the Rule. Special Rules requiring the use of a Command may be used multiple times per turn. Unless they say otherwise, Special Rules may only be used on your turn."

This passage must be taken in the context of what is specifically being discussed. In this case, the emphasised sentence is only referring to special rules or advancements that require a command to use.

None of the cards shown here require a Command to use; therefore, there is no restriction on when they can be used. It is only the cards that require a command to use that may only be used on your turn. All cards pictured here are always in effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

This passage must be taken in the context of what is specifically being discussed. In this case, the emphasised sentence is only referring to special rules or advancements that require a command to use.

None of the cards shown here require a Command to use; therefore, there is no restriction on when they can be used. It is only the cards that require a command to use that may only be used on your turn. All cards pictured here are always in effect.

I mean, just take Klingons High Council as a perfect example. Of course it is always in effect, even if it is not your turn. How would it possibly help you, otherwise? It's never going to be your turn when a rival tries to exercise hegemony over one of your worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

By the strict reading of the rules shouldn't Klingon High Council (+1 Hegemony) only work on your turn?

Unless there is a weird upgrade out there, you will only be defending against a hegemony attempt on another player's turn, so it couldn't be restricted to use only on your turn.

Here's a Cult of Kahless question. Let's say your opponent has First Strike. Since CoK triggers when you would roll, I assume the First Strike would happen, then you could detonate your ships instead of rolling To Hit, right?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how the timing would work on subsequent turns. Your opponent rolls some hits, and you decide to detonate some ships. I guess you would lose both the ships that were hit plus the ones you detonated. Ouch. But it might be useful if a large fleet were facing a smaller one that had high defense.
Yup. GF9 answered a similar question earlier. You lose both the ships that were hit plus the ones you intentionally detonated. https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23576497#23576497

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that passage in the rules is simply confusing, they should have omitted it or clarified it correctly.

the rules tend to be ambiguous on when something applies only to that passage or is always in effect, due to their lack of proper organising the rules in sections/subsections.

in fact, you could say the reverse is true, namely that its the cards that will specify when an effect is applicable only on your turn, not the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.