Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
so im a bit confused

i get why Marvel has stopped upperdeck from reprinting the Fantastic Four set (it does upset me but i understand). they dont want to give Fox the money.

But doesn't Fox also own X-men? yet i see no shortage of X-men in any of the sets. Not saying i want them to stop making X-men cards but I'm wondering why they get a pass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
backspace8908 wrote:
so im a bit confused

i get why Marvel has stopped upperdeck from reprinting the Fantastic Four set (it does upset me but i understand). they dont want to give Fox the money.

But doesn't Fox also own X-men? yet i see no shortage of X-men in any of the sets. Not saying i want them to stop making X-men cards but I'm wondering why they get a pass

The profit sharing is different for the X-Men IP. Plus, it's hard for Marvel to not have X-Men. That said, they seem to be moving towards Inhumans as a primary property to replace X-Men because of the licensing agreement with Fox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the Xmen are in the core set. They can stop a small set without changing anything, but getting rid of the xmen/xforce etc would require them to have to reprint almost every single set they have released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's not logical. Blame Ike Perlmutter.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/01/the-ballad-of-ike-per...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
therealtheshader wrote:
Also the Xmen are in the core set. They can stop a small set without changing anything, but getting rid of the xmen/xforce etc would require them to have to reprint almost every single set they have released.

I'm pretty sure this logic doesn't quite apply. To my understanding, Dr. Doom is a major F4 enemy, but he's reprintable in the base set. They just can't do new ones (as in Secret Wars trying really hard to not technically have Dr. Doom).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Another thing people have brought up is that the X-Men seem to have a seriously big fan base. Fantastic Four have/had their fans, but not nearly as much as the X-Men.

The consensus seems to be that maybe Perlmutter would like to destroy all things X-Men, but there's just too much of it out there and going after them would be too costly in terms of time and negative PR. That wasn't true of the Fantastic Four.

What I find even more bizarre than this apparent ban on all things FF is that someone read the script of those FF movies and thought "these are good!" For that matter, not only was Spider-Man 3 green lighted, but they spent quite a bit marketing it. Who on earth thought of Venom, one of the most popular Marvel villains ever and decided to make him pathetic and cast Topher Grace for him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a simple answer to all of this. X-Men are awesome. Fantastic Four is lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
well the fantasy four movies make sense. Fox has to keep making movies or they lose the rights to it.

as for spiderman 3, sony actually made them add venom kind of last minute. the director wanted it to just be sandman and then mysterio in the nxt one and have Bruce Campbell play him. go back and watch the 3 movies, hes in all 3 of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
backspace8908 wrote:
so im a bit confused

The profit sharing is different for the X-Men IP. Plus, it's hard for Marvel to not have X-Men. That said, they seem to be moving towards Inhumans as a primary property to replace X-Men because of the licensing agreement with Fox.

It seems you're right about the shift; I've noticed the same thing and it's killing me. Say what you want about the FF, the Inhumans are right there with Paste-Pot Pete and Whizzer. Lame. I'm not buying it, Marvel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
Another thing people have brought up is that the X-Men seem to have a seriously big fan base. Fantastic Four have/had their fans, but not nearly as much as the X-Men.

The consensus seems to be that maybe Perlmutter would like to destroy all things X-Men, but there's just too much of it out there and going after them would be too costly in terms of time and negative PR. That wasn't true of the Fantastic Four.

What I find even more bizarre than this apparent ban on all things FF is that someone read the script of those FF movies and thought "these are good!" For that matter, not only was Spider-Man 3 green lighted, but they spent quite a bit marketing it. Who on earth thought of Venom, one of the most popular Marvel villains ever and decided to make him pathetic and cast Topher Grace for him?

I won't argue the Topher Grace thing but the Fantastic Four were not total flops in my mind. They really screwed up the villains especially Galactus but even Doc Doom was bad. But they totally got the Fantastic Four themselves right. The infighting with Johnny and Ben was spot on for me and Jessica Alba makes up for a lot of wrong. But overall they were bad but had a lot of promise. I have no idea why Hollywood does not consult fans when making these things. Heck, even reading a comic or two might help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
Tsallak wrote:

I won't argue the Topher Grace thing but the Fantastic Four were not total flops in my mind. They really screwed up the villains especially Galactus but even Doc Doom was bad. But they totally got the Fantastic Four themselves right. The infighting with Johnny and Ben was spot on for me and Jessica Alba makes up for a lot of wrong. But overall they were bad but had a lot of promise. I have no idea why Hollywood does not consult fans when making these things. Heck, even reading a comic or two might help.

I like how you did not even reference the new piece of garbage that came out last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
One thing I wonder about is if somehow Hollywood types are so insulated from reality that they can no longer tell what is good or not.

Several years (back when Siskel and Ebert were still alive), there was a year that especially showed off this possibility. All five nominees for Best Picture were pitched to the four or five major production companies, and all of them passed on them because they were apparently not worth funding. However, the runaway nominee for worst movie of the year (note 1) was funded by all four or five companies. All of them wanted it and none was willing to bow out of the fight for it. Their their lawyers set up some plan for them to each fund 20% or 25% of it.

If this is correct (and I think it is), it suggests that guys like Clint Eastwood are so remarkable because they seem to be able to figure out what movies are worth making. Even Kevin Spacey, one of the most revered talents of our times, read Superman Returns and thought that 45 hour movie about Superman without a single action scene is a good idea (note 2).

Note 1: The movie was one of those ones where a famous tough guy somehow finds himself responsible for kids, and can't handle them.

Note 2: Okay, Superman Returns wasn't totally without action--he comes back to save a plane, and there's a little scene where a robot shoots him in the eye. But that's it. And it only feels like 45 hours. It's actually merely 21 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
It's not logical. Blame Ike Perlmutter.

Ike helped keep Marvel from possible bankruptcy. Ron Perelman controlled Marvel in the late 1908's and issued junk bonds, putting Marvel into severe debt, then Carl Icahn bought these bonds, wresting control over Marvel. Ike Perlmutter and Avi Arad owned Toy Biz, whose toy business depended on Marvel, so tried to take control of the company themselves. None of these parties were really doing this for Marvel's fans, but Toy Biz were most interested in keeping Marvel in business. Perelman and Icahn only saw Marvel as another company in their porfolio -- much like Asmodee sees FFG. This doesn't explain Perlmutter's strange behavior, but there ya go.

Comic Wars: How Two Tycoons Battled Over the Marvel Comics Empire--And Both Lost
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0767908309/ref=pd_cp_14_1?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is well known, yes. It also goes to show that you can be a good businessman and a complete wacko at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.