$5.00
$30.00
$20.00
$15.00
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MvM mentioned and what Rodney thinks about how fast it will sell.
Starts at 15:11 (link should automatically take you to correct time)
https://youtu.be/OWjI5IeR3j0?t=911

Rodney describes getting contacted by Rito and seeing the game.
Starts at 17:22 (link should take you to the correct time)
https://youtu.be/OWjI5IeR3j0?t=1043

Ends at 28:40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's Rito laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Who's Rito laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Nofunatalll wrote:
Who's Rito laugh

Isn't he the villain in Copacabana?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:
Who's Rito laugh

Isn't he the villain in Copacabana?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanick Echidna
msg tools
Rito is from Dolan League of Legends memes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rito Pls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about recording this live - I only remembered in that moment, a fraction of the things I could have said.

I never mentioned what huge fans of the hobby they already were before they started the project.

Our initial conversations were about the games they were playing and enjoying and what sort of things inspired and influenced them. To me, it just reinforced that they came to this project as people who were passionate about the hobby, and had an appreciation of it that came from being tabletop gamers themselves. At no point did this feel to me like a company that had studied some market research, and were trying to figure out how to sucker some acquisition junkies into buying plastic.

They already have other lucrative ways to sell product: https://na.merch.riotgames.com/en/clothing/league-of-legends...

A new sweater would have been much less of a headache to come up with, and bring significantly better margins, I'd wager.

I do not believe you can spend any amount of time actually considering the logistics of what it took to create this game, and not conclude this came from a core of people who cared in a meaningful way about several aspects of our hobby (as opposed to simply some kind of bottom line profit margin).

I've had a chance to work with a few publishers at this point, and I'm used to a variety of different approaches when it comes to a publisher trying to get a particular outcome from my content.

I've had publishers try to get me to wear their branded clothing on the show, or present things a particular way that suits their interests, but doesn't line up with my format (to which, if you're curious, I've always flatly refused to do). With Riot, you have a company that by it's sheer size could have approached me in a very corporate way, with several demands, but instead, they've been one of the easiest, most hands off (and yet available anytime I've needed) publishers I've ever dealt with.

And let's be clear, they don't "need" me, or any of us other board game media creators. If their only interest is to sell through their product run, from a marketing standpoint, they should have just focused on all the big video game marketing sites with audiences that dwarf anything me, or, for example, the Dice Tower has.

So what does it mean, if they instead let a bunch of board game content creators share details on exactly how the game works, exactly the kind of game play experience it is tying to offer? From a marketing standpoint, why not just run a purely hype based campaign, with a bunch of flashy trailers that emphasize the component quality only, with next to nothing on game play, except sound bites? Why risk letting people see exactly how it works, in great detail, and thereby giving gamers a chance to stop and think for a moment before getting swept up in a hype train, shelling over their cash for "pretty figures"?

To me it has said that they actually have an interest in increasing the chances that this game will find it's way into the hands of people who are going to enjoy this type of game, even if it means losing sales by creating informed consumers, who from all this info can now conclude "nah, this is definitely not for me".

You can never ensure that when you buy a game, you're going to enjoy it. It's too subjective an experience, and companies can take advantage of that ignorance, if they want to, by distracting consumers with a lot of sizzle. I feel like we have a lot of evidence at this point, that Riot was not trying to create artificial hype.

So why do I even care to say any of this? Well, I suppose, since I'm not a reviewer, I feel I'm in a unique position to heap some praise towards Riot and know that my content can't be called into question because of it. I teach the game in the videos and show how they work and that's it. I won't tell you there, (or here), that I think you should go buy this game. I don't know what kinds of games you like, you'd be the expert in that area .

Without that potential 'conflict of interest', I feel I can afford to gush a little, and share some of this positive feedback from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the extra insight Rodney. As someone who played League for a while, it's pretty easy to conflate my feelings towards the worst elements of their player community with the way I view the company itself. They're doing an excellent job of showing that they genuinely care about making a cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response Rodney. Hope you don't mind that I linked your Q&A in this thread, I thought a lot of people would be interested in what you had to say (I certainly was!).

Showing Pep McDonald some love here, linked an awesome answer he had for "What special promo would you make for Kimmit (sp?)" his answer made me LOL

Link should start at the beginning of the question
https://youtu.be/OWjI5IeR3j0?t=846
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.