Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor spoilers I guess

I've played through each of the base set scenarios except the 5 star one and played through the new 5 star scenario from the tiles collection.

That's like 20 hours of gameplay but I still have not yet seen any big monsters (e.g. Star Spawn, Dunwich Horror etc.)?

The enemies spawned are almost always humanoid (cultist, maniac, witch, cult leader). This seems kind of lame and unscary...anyone else find the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played through the first scenario, but I've played it three times now and
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a Star Spawn has spawned on each one of this playthroughs. It usually comes right after or soon after you open the door to the room / space where the portal is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may depend on how many players you have for the scenario. When we played with 5 people we got the star spawn. When we played with 2 people we did not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmontanus wrote:
I think it may depend on how many players you have for the scenario. When we played with 5 people we got the star spawn. When we played with 2 people we did not.

I've gotten a Cthonian, and a Shuggoth in that scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played once solo (2 investigators), 2 scenarios with 4 investigators and 1 scenario with 3 investigators

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got chtonian, shoggoth, but also only zombies ass "boss monster" always 2 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is entirely random what you get, so it is not that strange. I have met a Star Spawn on the first mission with only 2 investigators.
If you play more they will show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the first scenario with two investigators I always have a star spawn turn up. The only other large creature I have seen is the Dunwich Horror in the expansion scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jimmontanus wrote:

We got a shoggoth with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the base set scenarios will always have a Star Spawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen all of the large figures except for the Dark Young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Malama wrote:
It is entirely random what you get

No it isn't.

Without giving spoilers you are only likely to see the large monsters if you progress slowly or badly in a given scenario. Most have the capacity to spawn them but they are generally used as punishment. Only 'Shattered Bonds' guarantees an appearance by the Star Spawn (assuming you get far enough with the objective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:
I've seen all of the large figures except for the Dark Young.

Dark young showed up for us this weekend playing The Cycle of Eternity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.