Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has taken me 17 months (almost to the day) and I am proud to finally be able to say that I have done it! This morning I managed to play Forbidden Stars which means I have now played ALL the games in the current BGG #100. All of them at a table and all of them in their cardboard form. The adventure that started in May of 2015 has reached its conclusion. My last challenge is over. And I am a very happy camper because of it.

BGG Top #100 games I have played

Looking back, I have to admit that it's been one heck of a ride and I would therefore definitely encourage others to try and undertake this journey. A couple of reasons instantly come to mind:

- You will be playing the very best games out there.
- You will be meeting loads of people and - with some luck - might even find new gaming groups.
- Since there are many types of games in the top 100, you might learn a little about your likes and dislikes in games.
- Undoubtedly, you will be in for a surprise or two. I, for one, have never had much of an interest in war games, for instance. In order to be able to complete this challenge, however, I had to play Twilight Struggle (which I was nothing less than impressed by), Combat Commander Europe (ditto), Paths of Glory as well as Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. If I'm honest, I must admit that I did not enjoy the latter two as much, but still they have definitely contributed to the development of a deep appreciation of GMT's card driven system.
- You'll notice that in general, your understanding of and appreciation for games will grow even more.

Some people seem to think that I must have purchased quite a few of these games in order to get to play them. Well, truth is I didn't (teachers don't have that kind of money). In fact, I didn't buy a single game in order to help me complete this challenge (even though I have indeed considered doing so on a few occasions). In pursuance of getting to play these games, I relied solely on the kindness and cooperation of others, both in real life and here on BGG. This way, the notion that the people involved in our hobby are indeed among the very best of our kind in the world, was reaffirmed once more. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how many people were willing to help me, either by lending me their games, travelling fairly great distances or even welcoming me into their homes. Some offers even came from abroad. Obviously, I could not have done this without you and I will forever be grateful to you all.

Another phenomenon which made this challenge a proper challenge is that the list changes. A lot. Constantly. Quite a few games have dropped something like 20 spots since my first playing them and many are likely to follow suit. Over a dozen have fallen out of the #100. Similarly, some have raced into the list.

Some facts:
-I had played 34% of the current top 100 list when I started my challenge.
-I have now played the games in the top 100 a combined total of 770 times.
-I own 22 of the games in the top 100.
-There are 4 titles in the current top 100 that I previously owned.
-In total, 41 different people were involved as players in the games I played for this challenge.
-I played with them at 14 unique addresses (including my own).
-I have had to play in six different cities (including my own).
-Furthest distance I have had to travel: 185 km.
-My most-played game in the top 100: Codenames (93 times).
-Game in the top 100 not played for the longest time: Eclipse (July 2013). (All the other ones were played in 2015 or even more recently.)
-Biggest drop from the top 100 since I started: Mice and Mystics (#139)
-The games in my own top 10 are currently ranked #1, #4, #5, #10, #32, #44, #52, #68, #92, #302

Prior to trying my hand at this undertaking, I had participated in only two challenges here on BGG. The first was last year's 10x10. I completed that in April. I then decided to do the 100x1 as well. My participation sparked an enormous interest in getting to know more games which in turn led to a ridiculous amount of games (1000+) having been played by yours truly in 2015. In the end, I had played unique 290 games, 181 of which I had never played before. Needless to say, these challenges have given my love for the hobby an enormous boost. In fact, they might have turned me into the gamer that I am today.

This year, too, I have participated in (and completed) the 10x10 as well as the 100x1 challenges. This self-inflicted top 100 challenge I have completed today, has been the real focus of my attention, though. I so much look forward to not having to hunt for an opportunity of playing any particular games, that I don't think I will undertake another challenge for a while, however addictive they may be. Of course I am well aware of the fact that new games are likely to enter the #100 (Mansions of Madness, 2nd edition will probably be the first and might make it next week or so) and it will be very tempting to try and keep my 100%. But my mission has been accomplished, and I am happy to take a step back. At least for now.

So, to conclude: I have had a blast and hope many of you will too. The great thing about our hobby is of course that you do not need a challenge to have fun. You just need a table and some cardboard.

Aernout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, and kudos to the excellent gaming community who helped you achieve it too! What a great hobby we have and what great people there are in it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Aernout!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Previdi
Italy
Goito
Mantova
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Terrifc!

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gratz, that's quite an achievement.

Now you must go for the top 1000 .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on completing this awesome project/adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Also that feeling when a new game enters top 100 arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Spotsylvania County
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an awe inspiring accomplishment, congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your dedication to this project is most impressive. I assume you will celebrate with a glass of champagne and a nice relaxing boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gustavo ag
msg tools
mb
Congratulations!

Now you have a lot of experience to initiate a blog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Congratulations, and kudos to the excellent gaming community who helped you achieve it too! What a great hobby we have and what great people there are in it!

Tx! And indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kintarouji wrote:
Congratulations Aernout!

Tx so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sietchlord wrote:

Terrifc!

Congratulations!

Grazi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Gratz, that's quite an achievement.

Now you must go for the top 1000 .

Hahaha... maybe next year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RA_gamer wrote:
Congratulations on completing this awesome project/adventure.

I feel elated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
victoryzine wrote:
Awesome!

Also that feeling when a new game enters top 100 arrrh

Mansons of Madness will be the first. And the temptation to restore my 100% will be enormous. But for now: I'm done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ultramafic wrote:
That is an awe inspiring accomplishment, congratulations.

I hope others will follow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphon Tracks wrote:
Your dedication to this project is most impressive. I assume you will celebrate with a glass of champagne and a nice relaxing boardgame.

Games this afternoon. More this evening. And, indeed, sth te velenrate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guspirata wrote:
Congratulations!

Now you have a lot of experience to initiate a blog!

I will try and dedicate myself to a new design (which I was working on) first. Don't have any hopes for it but I look fwd to the intellectual challenge of completing a project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Smithwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! This may be on my board game bucket list soon ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "Summer" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Great achievement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful! thumbsup Keep up the great playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion328 wrote:
Congratulations! This may be on my board game bucket list soon ...

It should be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Wonderful! thumbsup Keep up the great playing!

There is no other option. I must play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
Great achievement.

Tx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.