Subject: Starting at level 5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's say you have a posse of level 5 characters and a new player wants to join in and you want to give him the option to start at level 5.

I was thinking of those rules to simulate a level 5 character:

Starts with 1500 dollars
+
Draws 12 Gear Cards, keeps 6
+
Draws 6 Mine Artifact Cards, keeps 3
+
Draws 5 Otherworld Artifact Cards (Randomize from where), keep 2
+
12 Dark Stones

Sells all the Gear/Artifacts that doesn't want and add to the 1500 starting dollars.

Can sell Darkstone using any city option (Frontier Outpost, Gambling Hall etc.)

Can buy any city item/blessing/title

Optionally, can start with:

2 Mutations
1 Injury
1 Madness

Roll to remove/heal them for free one time, with a free re-roll each time (simulating the hero using a grit at the moment of the surgery).

You can attempt more times by paying the normal Doctor/Church fees should you fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm interested in this as well, not only for the reason you state but also for play testing new monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Too easy and not thematic enough for me.

Add these
2 Mutations
1 Injury
1 Madness

You then have one roll per injury/mutation/madness to see if they are healed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
It depends on the player. If they know the game, you can try that. If not, you would be better off just letting them choose a character, and then pick the gear out yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might change the Gear and Artifact cards slightly, so you draw more cards than you are going to keep, and pick a selection from it. For example:

Draw 12, pick 6 Gear cards.

Draw 6, pick 3 Mine Artifact cards.

Draw 5, pick 2 Otherworld Artifact cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@Njorl
I like it, it makes sense, I would add it as an optional "rule" to keep it simple for other players

2 Mutations
1 Injury
1 Madness

Roll to remove/heal them for free one time, with a free re-roll each (simulating the hero using a grit at the moment of the surgery).

You can attempt more time by paying the normal Doctor/Church fees should you fail.

@Gavin
I like your suggestions as well. I will implement it as you said, but raise the starting dollars to 1500$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:

Add these
2 Mutations
1 Injury
1 Madness

This seems too much. My characters are close to this and they have no mutations, injuries, or madness. I think maybe I've had 2 mutations healed for the entire party. Maybe you're more aggressive and play harder monsters but why start out a new player with rolling on a table that could make his character unplayable. Kind of reminds me of how you could die in Traveller's character generation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
This thread is making me wonder who this theoretical person is who says, "Hey guys, can I join? But first, can I play a 30-45 minuet meta game making decisions about which I have little-to-no information?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
njep wrote:

Add these
2 Mutations
1 Injury
1 Madness

This seems too much. My characters are close to this and they have no mutations, injuries, or madness. I think maybe I've had 2 mutations healed for the entire party. Maybe you're more aggressive and play harder monsters but why start out a new player with rolling on a table that could make his character unplayable. Kind of reminds me of how you could die in Traveller's character generation.

I definitely have an aggressive play style. In the case of the Rancher and Marshal, you may actually want those mutations. Also for all of them you roll to see if they have been surgically removed or fixed. So I think on average you would only have 2 of them (Can't recall the doc's rolls for surgery). Also for a 5th level posse it's pretty easy to fix them. There are also players here that embrace their mutations, I think Adria is one of those Mutey lovers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
This thread is making me wonder who this theoretical person is who says, "Hey guys, can I join? But first, can I play a 30-45 minuet meta game invvinge making decisions about whuch I have little to no information?"

Im guessing it would take less time than that, and this kind of thing happens a lot in role-playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have a pretty elegant solution for this in my home games (I think).
We share experience. And if anyone is behind on levels, they get bonus experience whenever they get experience. 10℅ per level difference. So a lvl 1 would get +40℅ experience in a game with level 5s. They'll catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Cooperton wrote:
We share experience. And if anyone is behind on levels, they get bonus experience whenever they get experience. 10℅ per level difference. So a lvl 1 would get +40℅ experience in a game with level 5s. They'll catch up.

Well, at least that gives them time to learn there character. Certainly better then throwing a bunch of abilities and gear at them and saying 'figure this sh*t out'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unless the new player is already experienced?

Or a solo player wants to add a new char to his posse?

I see your point, I wouldn't give a level 5 character to a player new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread made me revisit an idea I had previously about "simulated" missions. My calculations are presented here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
Cooperton wrote:

Well, at least that gives them time to learn there character. Certainly better then throwing a bunch of abilities and gear at them and saying 'figure this sh*t out'.

Come to think of it, there's no reason you couldn't apply this math even if you don't share experience. It would just slow down the progression of the lowbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a new character joining in at level 1 joining a level 5+ posse at a disadvantage? I am curious to know as we may have someone join in our posse at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
jurney85 wrote:
Is a new character joining in at level 1 joining a level 5+ posse at a disadvantage? I am curious to know as we may have someone join in our posse at some point.

Their survivability is in question as a brand new character going up against brutal enemies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bjorn2bwild wrote:
jurney85 wrote:

Their survivability is in question as a brand new character going up against brutal enemies

Unless the party has 3 Marshals in it who can step in the way of every hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they're gonna have a tough time. And probably be ko'd a lot.
Additionally, they'd have difficulty getting kills as the higher level posse members will be cleaning house.

But id hope the rest of the players would take steps to help out the lowbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.