tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Just answering the question in the subject, I'd say that number of individual player turns could be an issue, as well as the amount of straight-up visible info each player might have.

NowOrNever88 wrote:
Would it help if I proxies more cards?

This would certainly change the equation, both for player turns and value of visible info, but what distribution of cards would you go with? I'd worry that a seemingly small change could have far-reaching, unforeseeable effects.

If I were to try a 6er variant, my first inclination would be to simply have 3-card hands, instead of the 4-card hands in the 4- and 5-player games. This, however, might make individual hands too easy to deal with.

Part of the game's challenge, in my experience, is having to deal with cards that are "in the way" when trying to give clues; 3-card hands would reduce this aspect of the game, I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Would it help if I proxies more cards?

In general, the game just gets harder as you add more players. 2-player may be an exception to that - I'm not sure if it's easier, but it may just be more variable - you may be more at the whim of the deck order. I haven't played enough 2er to feel strongly about that opinion.

One reason the game is harder at 5 than it is at 4 or 3 is because at the end of the game, players are going to be holding 3 more cards in their hands. That means that there are 3 fewer discards before the end of the game, and so you have 3 fewer clues to give. Adding a 6th player would again take away 3 more clues, unless you lowered the handsize, or added more cards, or started with extra clue tokens?

A second reason the game is harder is because it's less forgiving. If you need one player to play two cards in a row, in a 5er game 4 other players still need to take actions between those two plays, which can result in inefficiencies. This can't be fixed for 6.

And finally, it's a bit more challenging because you need to try to consider more when trying to figure out a plan, because more players take actions between your turn and your next turn. Again, this can't be fixed for 6.

There may be ways in which the game is easier with more players - perhaps seeing more cards does help - but I'm not convinced that
If you're looking for a more challenging game, 6 players might be worth trying.

But the game does work fine with 3 players, so playing two threes also seems like a reasonable option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
6 players should work fine. For 2-3-4-5-6 players, each player should have 6-5-4-3-3 cards in hand for the best experience and balance of the game.

Therefore 6 players will be just as hard as 3p and 4p in terms of dead cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating. Has anyone tried 6p and can comment?

Also, I mostly play 2/3p.... Is 5p and 2p the same playtime?

Thank you all btw! This was interesting to learn.

Edit : what's the difficulty of 2,3,4,5p in your opinions? Is 5p hardest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.