Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

There's been a lot of healthy conversation around our shipping costs both here on the BGG forums and also internally at Riot. I wanted to zero in this conversation on two regions that have been coming up frequently: Canada and Oceania (Australia/ New Zealand). But before we dive too deep in, I wanted to make sure I'm setting proper expectations: There's a good chance that a number of you, regardless of what we propose, are going to be frustrated by the shipping costs. And I'm not judging that frustration - but I am going to try to provide as much context as I can and let the discussion continue from there.

For starters, we had to make a tough decision on whether to ship to Oceania at all - and I may have made the wrong call. We don't currently have a distribution center in Australia, so whatever we send 'down under' has to be shipped out of our North American distribution center. The cost associated with that is predictably pretty steep. So we had the option to just not ship to Oceania until we solved that logistical challenge. Keep in mind, Riot has a global player base and, initially, there are far more regions who won't get MvM than there are that will. There remains a very compelling argument to add Oceania to that list of unsupported regions, but since there aren't language barriers that exist (as with other regions), I ultimately made the call to at least give players in Australia and New Zealand the choice. I thought an expensive option was better than no option at all.

For many of our regions, we ship our goods through iParcel. For shipping, the size of the box we're using is:

23.5 x 13. 8 x 7.6 in

We went with this size shipping container to ensure that we could properly pad the box so it didn't get damaged in transit. This size is also important because in many regions (including Canada and most of Europe), shipping costs are determined by the size of the box as opposed to the weight of the box. It costs different amounts to send to different areas of Canada, but it averages out to roughly $32.85 to get our shipping box up to those across the border. To be clear, this isn't us padding the shipping costs to ensure we make profits off the backs of our Canadian players, this is just what it costs for us to use a reliable service to ship from the States to Canada.

The folks over in Merch have already been subsidizing a portion of those shipping costs - they don't like to celebrate that, but it's worth bringing up. And those subsidies actually are the most pronounced in regions with the highest shipping rates. But after the conversations that spun up here, we've taken a hard look at what we can do on our end to make our shipping costs a bit more palatable. Again, you guys are the ones that will decide if we have done an adequate job, but we've decided to increase our subsidies so that we're paying for a larger portion of those costs. So the new shipping costs for players should resemble something akin to this:

Canada: $20
Australia: $50
New Zealand: $50
Taiwan: $45
Singapore: $45
Hong Kong: $45
US: $5
Germany: € 5
United Kingdom: € 5
France: € 5
Spain: € 5
Italy: € 5
Belgium: € 5
Netherlands: € 5
Austria:: € 5
Poland: € 10
Romania:: € 10
Sweden: € 5
Denmark: € 5
Norway: € 10
Greece: € 5
Portugal: € 5
Finland: € 5
Switzerland: € 10
Czech Republic: € 10
Turkey: € 15
Hungary: € 10
Ireland: € 5

Keep in mind, we are currently only selling English copies in these regions (with the exception of Hong Kong, where you should be able to also purchase in Simplified Chinese, locally). If anyone has any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to bring it up here. We're working hard to listen to your feedback and our sincere hope is that you feel confident in your decision before, during, and after your purchase.

-Chris
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume HK buyers will have the choice of either English or Simplified Chinese?

Regardless, thank you for this post with additional info. Not sure if I'm happy to pay the shipping fee or wait in the hope of cheaper shipping at a later date. Either way, I appreciate everything that is being done to keep us informed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
I assume HK buyers will have the choice of either English or Simplified Chinese?

That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do somehow include this information on the web site about shipping costs, because the next question is going to be "Why didn't you translate the rules into my language". I think, if purchasers realize that there was originally *no* intention to ship to their area, they might be more understanding. They still won't be happy or won't buy the game, but they won't get out the torches and tar, either. Also, mention that you are working on lowering shipping costs with another distributor, so buyers can make the decision themselves whether or not to wait, or be the first kid on the block with the game.

I should say, that as someone who's seen ridiculous shipping prices even in the USA for KS games (and we commit to paying shipping without knowing the prices first!), you'll at least get understanding backers from the KS peanut gallery. Plus, we won't have to wait a year for our stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, does it mean you will not ship to Estonia? We are in EU and right next to Finland and it would be absolutely horrible to have to pay scalper prices to get this :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that China is missing. How much would it cost if it's shipped to China?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Quote:
For starters, we had to make a tough decision on whether to ship to Oceania at all - and I may have made the wrong call.

I can't see how being given the option could be the wrong call.

It's high but it is what it is. You get use to it down here =)

No chance for aussies being able to order in bulk then I take it (something which happens down here a fair bit for Kickstarters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mira Barbian
Germany
flag msg tools
Wow! I´m really happy about the 5 euro shipping cost to Germany. As shipping costs aren´t too much I´m so definitely going to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YIFAN REN
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mb
I also see China is missing. Consider Tencent is behind Riot, is there any simplified Chinese version will sell directly at China locally through their own online system?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK...this might be heresy and I might get torched for the suggestion, but...

U.S. shipping went down $3? You will only charge me $5 to ship an 11 pound game almost the size of a FFG coffin box?

That's stupid crazy cheap!

How about you raise the cheap rates like $5 or so to help offset the cost to other countries. Even $10 to ship this to me is stupid cheap, and I suspect a greater number of people will be buying from the cheap places, making the idea more viable.

How much of the US shipping are you subsidizing? How about charging the US the actual rate and lowing the cost to our friends down under by the difference.

Everyone talks about how cheap this game is in comparison to what we're used to. So what if shipping tacks on $15 to $20. I'd still pay it. Even $95 is way cheaper than what I have seen others claim this would cost through current channels (disto or Kickstarter).

I'll bet most people wouldn't blink an eye if, when they went to purchase it, shipping was $15. Of course, I could be very wrong and everyone is free to raise their torches and pitchforks.

just my 2 cents $10
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the way this guy thinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narcis Madern
Spain
Figueres
Girona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I see the shipping price is really good even to european countries, so I can just say thanks for that effort.

What I'm worried about is the lack of information (at least I could not find it) about the taxes and/or customs costs when the package arrives at a western european country.

We all know that when a non "EU-friendly" package coming from the US enters a european country, it's likely going to be hugely charged by customs and/or taxes costs (especially a package of this size/weigth).

Do we have any information about this being "EU-friendly", so we can know FOR SURE it's going to cost "only" $75 + shipping costs listed in the first post?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Intini
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
narcis wrote:
What I'm worried about is the lack of information (at least I could not find it) about the taxes and/or customs costs when the package arrives at a western european country.

The packages shipped to Europe will be also shipped from Europe, so you're not getting any hidden taxes or anything like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Only 20$ to ship a box this size to Canada. That's insanely low!

What about the customs fee?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
intinig wrote:
narcis wrote:

The packages shipped to Europe will be also shipped from Europe, so you're not getting any hidden taxes or anything like that

While that's true, we're also buying from the EU store, so we'll likley be paying in Euros. I'd imagine the sales tax will be baked into that price - so I'd expect to be paying 75EUR rather than 75USD = 67EUR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Intini
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

While that's true, we're also buying from the EU store, so we'll likley be paying in Euros. I'd imagine the sales tax will be baked into that price - so I'd expect to be paying 75EUR rather than 75USD = 67EUR.

Unfortunately that's the case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog wrote:

U.S. shipping went down $3? You will only charge me $5 to ship an 11 pound game almost the size of a FFG coffin box?

How about you raise the cheap rates like $5 or so to help offset the cost to other countries. Even $10 to ship this to me is stupid cheap, and I suspect a greater number of people will be buying from the cheap places, making the idea more viable.

How much of the US shipping are you subsidizing? How about charging the US the actual rate and lowing the cost to our friends down under by the difference.

Everyone talks about how cheap this game is in comparison to what we're used to. So what if shipping tacks on $15 to $20. I'd still pay it. Even $95 is way cheaper than what I have seen others claim this would cost through current channels (disto or Kickstarter).

I'll bet most people wouldn't blink an eye if, when they went to purchase it, shipping was $15. Of course, I could be very wrong and everyone is free to raise their torches and pitchforks.

just my 2 cents $10

In the US, and I have no issues with this if it will help offset other regions. Good idea bro ! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evandro Sorensen
msg tools
mb
What would be the price to send the game to brazil?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François + Daphné
Canada
Saint-Hyacinthe
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really glad that you succeeded in lowering the shipping costs to Canada! Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
Seththedog wrote:

just my 2 cents $10

In the US, and I have no issues with this if it will help offset other regions. Good idea bro ! thumbsup

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you raised the U.S. shipping by just a $2 or $3, that would probably offset the reductions around the world and help the merch department stay in the black. $8 was already less than half of a large flat rate box anyway.

Man...we Geeks are a strange bunch laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the people who want to pay more for shipping are free to offer to offset the shipping cost for people who live in higher cost countries. Just because you want to, doesn't mean you should seek to force others.

You could even start a US non-profit that accept donations from people who want to subsidize the shipping to more expensive countries, and accept applications and give out payments to people in those countries buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, to suggest that Riot is somehow losing money now by cutting out distributors and shipping themselves so much that we need to give them more money is ludacrious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
savannahlion wrote:
What would be the price to send the game to beazil?

Sorry, they're not shipping outside our solar system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Seththedog wrote:

I'd be willing to pay €15 for delivery of this game (about £12) but im only being charged €5 which is crazy awesome,

If I'm unable to get it in the first print run (and you guys do another print run), I'm sure more people would be willing to up their shipping cost to offset others

That being said it's a gamble if 1 person buys it in the UK and 10,000 people buy it in Australia... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU!!

For info and low shipping cost.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.