Subject: Supply and storm markers questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Hi,
I just bought game few days ago it is great, and significantly harder then other expansions (i have all of them)

I also have several questions:
1.a) what if i have to lose supply and i am on 0 supply? I always lose stamina?
b) What if i have to choose between two effects: losing supply and other effect, can i choose to lose supply even if i don't have it, and lose stamina instead?

2.a) cloud markers - if i go on adventure with cloud markers and draw cloud marker with monster - do i have to place this new monster on this adventure or i can place it on any other adventure without monster? (i am 90% sure that i have to place it on this adventure i stepped on, but still want to clarify this.....)
b) If cloud marker on adventure instruct me to lose supply and i don't have supply i have to lose stamina. Can i choose other investigator to lose this stamina or this stamina has to be deducted for the investigator visiting that adventure?

3. Mytos card - rules state that :" When players draw and resolve a new
Alaskan Mythos card, they are presented with a dilemma and must choose as a group between one of the two options listed on the card. Players cannot choose the bottom option if they cannot fully resolve the effect.

So this means we can choose the top option even if we cannot fully resolve effect?

Sorry if some questions are stupid but i am still learning the game...played it only once yesterday.

P.S. strategy question - i am having hard time because special adventures has this at midnight effects that are nasty. I thing that third card that forces you to lose supply or stamina is maybe best option.

Br and thanks in advance
Mladen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Hi Mladen,

happy you completed your collection! Some answers to your post:

Simicic wrote:
Hi,
I just bought game few days ago it is great, and significantly harder then other expansions (i have all of them)

Gates is slightly harder than Omens, but Omens plays in a completely different way than Gates (or any other ES expansion), so that the initial impact of Omens could be devastating. Give yourself a few play, and once you tune the strategy properly, the difficulty level will be less challenging (but still quite tough)

Simicic wrote:
I also have several questions:
1.a) what if i have to lose supply and i am on 0 supply? I always lose stamina?

The only effects forcing you to lose Sta in stead of supplies is the At Midnight effect on the Track card, and the storm marker forcing you to lose supplies. If any other game effect forces you to lose supplies and you have none, it's basically a "no effect" effect (same way as an effect forcing you to lose a common item when you have no common items)

Simicic wrote:

b) What if i have to choose between two effects: losing supply and other effect, can i choose to lose supply even if i don't have it, and lose stamina instead?

I imagine here you're referring to Mythos cards resolution, am I correct? In this case the only restriction is that you cannot choose the bottom effect on the Mythos card if this results in no effect for the party. Otherwise you're free to "game the game": it's true that sometimes you'll be able to dodge the bullet, but the expansion is hard enough that a momentary respite is more than welcome.

Simicic wrote:

2.a) cloud markers - if i go on adventure with cloud markers and draw cloud marker with monster - do i have to place this new monster on this adventure or i can place it on any other adventure without monster? (i am 90% sure that i have to place it on this adventure i stepped on, but still want to clarify this.....)

Storm markers represent the general effects of the raging storm. Symbols are the same you resolve while resolving penalties and rewards for adventures, so, the monster icon implies a monster is spawned, following the normal rules for monster placement. Thus, monster tasks first, then everywhere, according to the rule of keeping even the number on monsters on different adventures (you can't place 4 monsters on adventure 1 and have 0 on the other adventures)

Simicic wrote:

b) If cloud marker on adventure instruct me to lose supply and i don't have supply i have to lose stamina. Can i choose other investigator to lose this stamina or this stamina has to be deducted for the investigator visiting that adventure?

I'm afraid you cannot. The wording is clear: "lose 1 stamina", not "an investigator at this adventure loses one stamina". So, by the rules, you cannot. Clearly, you can decide to houserule this for thematical reasons without too much harm, I'm just covering the RAW answer

Simicic wrote:
3. Mytos card - rules state that :" When players draw and resolve a new Alaskan Mythos card, they are presented with a dilemma and must choose as a group between one of the two options listed on the card. Players cannot choose the bottom option if they cannot fully resolve the effect.

So this means we can choose the top option even if we cannot fully resolve effect?

Yes. See my comments above about moments of respite

Simicic wrote:
Sorry if some questions are stupid but i am still learning the game...played it only once yesterday

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. I hope I helped, and that you can enjoy further the game

Simicic wrote:
P.S. strategy question - i am having hard time because special adventures has this at midnight effects that are nasty. I thing that third card that forces you to lose supply or stamina is maybe best option.

The timing for resolving special adventures and moving to Stage II is key to a winning the strategy. I'd suggest you to try a few more times to find out what suits best for your group (different playstyles result in completely different approaches to the game; during the testing window for this I read a couple of hundreds reports and I was amazed to see how many different ways to attack the new adventures they found).

If you're interesting in how I play, read the spoiler tags:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
As a general suggestion, I'd say: keep in mind that the difficulty is not linear, but follows a power law: the increase in difficulty between Day 4 and Day 3 is a lot more significant than the increase in difficulty between Day 3 and Day 2. Play on the clock (gain time every time you can), don't spend more than 2 days on Stage I, otherwise you'll be doomed to a frozen death. Omens of Ice is the leap of desperation in front of the brutality of the Mythos: at some point in the expedition, you'll run out of supplies, items and faith. Work on the expedition camp, without missing the ability that you can pay for any investigator to gain the benefit, so, you can chain effects and boost investigators in need to pass a very tough adventure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mladen Šimić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Hi Julia,

many thanks for quick and precise responses.
You helped me a lot with your comments, like you help us (gamers) in many other games on this and FFG forums

In case new questions arise i will fell free to post more zombie

Just few more words from me - what i really like in this expansion is moment that this now becomes cooperative game with new mehanics, and new items...using camp after adventuring is great new addition to game, and also new investigators..

Br, M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Simicic wrote:
Just few more words from me - what i really like in this expansion is moment that this now becomes cooperative game with new mehanics, and new items...using camp after adventuring is great new addition to game, and also new investigators..

I agree, when Sam started working on the line, he worked very hard on improving the coop aspect of the game. It's good to see the community responding well to these changes, and to read players having enthusiasm and dedication to the game. It helps us all (developers, editors, testers, members of the community) to work even harder to grant everyone the best experience possible out of the games we love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.