Subject: More questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) I am instructed to take a card with a trait, say, a "Ritual" spell card. Do i get to choose? I ask because sometimes effects say "get a random Ritual card".
2) One of the myth cards say something like "move the omen counter anticlockwise AND THEN advance the doom track for every corresponding portal bla bla bla". Does it mean that I must move the doom track twice (first time because the omen counter moved and second time because explicitly instructed to)

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solaris wrote:
1) I am instructed to take a card with a trait, say, a "Ritual" spell card. Do i get to choose? I ask because sometimes effects say "get a random Ritual card".

You don't choose, you keep drawing from the bottom of the Spell deck until you draw a spell that has the Ritual keyword.

Solaris wrote:
2) One of the myth cards say something like "move the omen counter anticlockwise AND THEN advance the doom track for every corresponding portal bla bla bla". Does it mean that I must move the doom track twice (first time because the omen counter moved and second time because explicitly instructed to)

You only update doom once, the rest of the text is a clarification. There are cards that let you move the omen token around without advancing doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) I was quite sure about it, but the occasional "random" word just messed up with my OCD
2) ok

thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
Solaris wrote:

You don't choose, you keep drawing from the bottom of the Spell deck until you draw a spell that has the Ritual keyword.

Solaris wrote:

You only update doom once, the rest of the text is a clarification. There are cards that let you move the omen token around without advancing doom.

To clarify the second answer: the Mythos card itself has an "Advance Omen" icon on it. You'll still have to do that (moving it clockwise one space, then advancing doom for each matching gate) followed by the text saying to move the Omen anticlockwise one space and advance doom for each matching gate.

There are basically two different actions that can be taken with the Omen marker: moving it and advancing it. The icon on all yellow and green Mythos cards (so far) is "Advance Omen" and any text that says "Advance the Omen" is also advnacing, otherwise everything is moving (and will probably use that word).

Moving the Omen simply means placing the Omen marker on a space on the track - this may be your choice or the card causing it may tell you where to move it to. This is the only thing that happens: doom doesn't change, and anything that says it triggers on the Omen advancing to a specific spot doesn't fire (e.g. Azathoth wouldn't get additional doom if it moves to Green, Syzygy wouldn't get a token on a move to Red).

Advancing is a move one space clockwise and triggers anything that uses the "Advancing" term: doom increase for matching gates, plus anything else.

So in the case of the Mythos card quoted, it tells you to move the omen (which it has to do, since the space it wants you to go to isn't one space clockwise) and then it has to tell you to advance doom for the new space, because otherwise the move wouldn't have advanced doom.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sullivan
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
Solaris wrote:

You don't choose, you keep drawing from the bottom of the Spell deck until you draw a spell a spell that has the Ritual keyword.

If I'm remembering correctly, when it says "random" (card) you draw from the bottom, when it says draw a (card), without the word random, you draw from the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackguardSpork wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:
Solaris wrote:

You don't choose, you keep drawing from the bottom of the Spell deck until you draw a spell a spell that has the Ritual keyword.

If I'm remembering correctly, when it says "random" (card) you draw from the bottom, when it says draw a (card), without the word random, you draw from the top.

Not true.

Reference Rulebook - Gaining Possessions and Conditions wrote:
• Double-sided cards are gained from the bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Reference Rulebook - Gaining Possessions and Conditions • Double-sided cards are gained from the bottom of the deck.

And for clarity's sake, this is primarily so you can't game the cards by knowing that the next spell, for instance, is Blessings of Isis so you camp Buenos Ares. Any double-sided cards are gained from the bottoms simply so you can't see what you're gaining until you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An effect says: "discard all ALLIES unless you pay a clue". I have a lot of clues and no allies - I am just lucky and lose nothing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solaris wrote:
An effect says: "discard all ALLIES unless you pay a clue". I have a lot of clues and no allies - I am just lucky and lose nothing, right?
Yes. You lose all your 0 allies, unless you spend a clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What if it said "discard all allies OR discard a clue"?
I remember reading somewhere that you couldn't choose the first effect because it is not appliable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solaris wrote:
What if it said "discard all allies OR discard a clue"?
I remember reading somewhere that you couldn't choose the first effect because it is not appliable

"All" usually includes 0, so you'd still be allowed to choose that.

On the other hand, if it said "discard AN ally OR discard a clue" you'd have to discard a clue if you didn't have any allies, because you can't choose the first option. The only way you get away without losing anything is if you have neither any allies nor any clues to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
"All" usually includes 0, so you'd still be allowed to choose that.

On the other hand, if it said "discard AN ally OR discard a clue" you'd have to discard a clue if you didn't have any allies, because you can't choose the first option. The only way you get away without losing anything is if you have neither any allies nor any clues to discard.

To complicate matters just a little, if the game said choose one: X or Y, then the choice doesn't care if you can actually do either X or Y, so long as you choose one of those options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.