Subject: Good Travel Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have seen this game recommended as a good game suitable for travel (such as on a train) but I was surprised how big the box was when I saw it in the store yesterday.

Is that because the game doesn't take up much table space? Could the contents all fit in a much smaller box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could probably fit all the components in the bag that comes with it for the dice. Just store all non-dice stuff in some smaller bag, take out what you need before the game and you should be good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I wouldn't recommend it as a travel game.

Sure, it lacks a proper board, and the game space is fluid enough to accomodate small or weird-shaped surfaces, but it's a game full of dice that may tumble and fall to the ground at any moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe one could use the box, or a smaller box, as a dice tray that could mitigate the risk of dice unexpectedly tumbling onto the floor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

Sure, it lacks a proper board, and the game space is fluid enough to accomodate small or weird-shaped surfaces, but it's a game full of dice that may tumble and fall to the ground at any moment.

Same opinion here.
Plus if you settle the game as per the rules its footprint isn't so small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Maybe one could use the box, or a smaller box, as a dice tray that could mitigate the risk of dice unexpectedly tumbling onto the floor?

Maybe, but I still can't say for sure.
You'll need at least 8 distinct areas where dice would be put, plus the dice bag, plus a way to record the cures found so far.

The bag is not a problem, the found cures may be recorded in some other way, but the 6 continents, the CDC zone and the central area (inside the ring) are difficult to be kept partitioned without dice inadvertently tumbling from one zone to another.
Maybe 8 labeled cups or other containers may help you there, but with the components you find in the box I think you really need a table.

Also - a thing I didn't mentioned in my first reply - some player dice must be kept here and there even outside of your turn (such as the dispatcher's helicopter or sample dice), thus you'll also need some square centimeters for the players' areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have re-housed the game in a smaller box for travelling purposes (one of the Race for the Galaxy expansion boxes).

I take it with me when I am working away. It fits easily on a hotel desk. Probably not on a plane tray-table though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

I would say this is spot on.

Yeah the box is too big and you can pack into something smaller, but that still does not make it a travel game for the reasons quoted above. I play games on airplane trays (Onirim and Urbion mostly) and Pandemic: The Cure would be a no go there.

To be sure Pandemic: The Cure is a good game, just not a travel game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
I have re-housed the game in a smaller box for travelling purposes (one of the Race for the Galaxy expansion boxes).

I take it with me when I am working away. It fits easily on a hotel desk. Probably not on a plane tray-table though!

I too often take it on my business trips to play in the evening. It works great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I will take away from this that it doesn't really lend itself to travel but, if you're hell bent on it, it can be a travel game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me, given the responses (and I would agree), that it is a good travel game, but not a good game to play while in transit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Travel game" = small enough to toss in a bag to take with you?
YES DEFINITELY. All the components do fit inside the bag (or a smaller box). Dice are damage-resistant, and hopefully large enough that you would notice if one dropped on the floor.

"Travel game" = playable in a small space or on a moving vehicle?
PROBABLY NOT. As others have said, it does take up a bit of table space, and dice can bounce around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
"Travel game" = small enough to toss in a bag to take with you?
YES DEFINITELY. All the components do fit inside the bag (or a smaller box). Dice are damage-resistant, and hopefully large enough that you would notice if one dropped on the floor.

"Travel game" = playable in a small space or on a moving vehicle?
PROBABLY NOT. As others have said, it does take up a bit of table space, and dice can bounce around.

These are my sentiments exactly. If you're taking it to game night, then the box won't take up an offensive amount of space.

Otherwise, I'd hate to deal with dice and other components that fall on a train or plane ride where folks are already packed in like cattle, and getting underneath a seat is a chore in of itself.

Alas, it'd be a good travel game if it were digital. AFAIK, such a game would work fine on a cell phone sized screen (4 to 5.5"). I'll add this as another reason to pick up and learn Android development. :\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
These are my sentiments exactly. If you're taking it to game night, then the box won't take up an offensive amount of space.

If you're taking it to game night, yes. But it's also great to pack in your carry-on to play at a hotel during your 2-night business trip. Or throw it in your luggage for that 6-week vacation at the beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

If you're taking it to game night, yes. But it's also great to pack in your carry-on to play at a hotel during your 2-night business trip. Or throw it in your luggage for that 6-week vacation at the beach.

yeah, I think it's a great game to take with you wherever you go.

Just don't try to play while you are getting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
peakhope wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

yeah, I think it's a great game to take with you wherever you go.

Just don't try to play while you are getting there.
I'm not a seasoned traveler, so I'm sure I'm being inefficient about several things. However, even with that corrected, I'm guessing space will still be at a premium, and I'd rather do stuff that I normally wouldn't be able to at home, like TV or sightseeing.

I did manage to play a game of Roll Through The Iron Age on my laptop by implementing a spreadsheet version of that.....

Worked out pretty well. I then set my sights on whether or not I could do this game. I need to go back and continue with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.