Subject: K-9 FIREPOWER addon in the making!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matija Bublic
Croatia
Ivanic Grad
flag msg tools
mbmb
I decided to make an addition for FIREPOWER. It is called K-9 FIREPOWER and implements K-9 military units to the game. To describe it I am pasting here the overview of the module and all its components as well the status of work on each:

WHY IS THERE NO K-9 UNITS IN FIREPOWER?!
This question popped up in my mind and I was oblivious to the complexity of the answer. I understood what term UNIT meant to FRIEPOWER system and how it behaved within it. I knew how unit’s attributes were reflected, how units interacted within its squad/s and how it behaved in contact with the threats. I understood how gear and time were handled and finally understood why there are no dogs in FIREPOWER. Modeling K-9 units meant implementing new set rules for a dog unit concerning terrain movement, combat, states, friendly and enemy interactions, dog types classifications and research on history, usage, historical and current roles of dogs in warfare and gear classification and implementation. It also included devising mechanisms that connected a dog unit with game turns and activation mechanism, while keeping all those systems in the spirit of FIREPOWER procedural structure. In addition to those, Handlers needed to be modeled and order giving mechanism designed for dogs to be able to work with their handlers, and additional chits designed.
Now I understood why there are no dogs in FIREPOWER.
Module is extensive, simulating dogs by breeds, training types and their training roles and dogs interaction with other components of the game and their handlers. In addition to that, a majority of types of equipment a working dog can equip was simulated, together with modular attachment systems so a player can customize its K-9 gear to the last detail and ballistic protection levels are implemented by real life standards to protect the dog. Balistic protection table can be used for regular ballistic vests for regular units too instead of simplified ballistic protection system FIREPOWER offers (which is probably because ballistic protection was only starting to be implemented at the time FIREPOWER was designed), so a system is more up to date with modern ballistic technology.
Gear section is the one I’m personally proudest of. Objectively it’s not the most complicated, nor the biggest mechanic here presented, but its design is really beautiful and fluid. It simulates K-9 harnesses and vests as the main load bearing systems for war dogs. I know this all sounds pretty complicated, but when you see how it works in tables you will appreciate real life logic behind the design and how a simple table governs all options avalaible.
Some harnesses and vests have built in ballistic protection, some don’t, and they deffer by mount types they carry (MOLLE, G-Hook, Rail, Velcro) and area of the attachment types (Size defined in whole numbers). To those attachment areas multiple items can be put on if they can be attached and if their area is equal or smaller than free area on the vest or harness. By this mechanics, gear can be put on your war dog as per mission criteria and dog training type. They can carry cameras, ballistic protection, rappelled, parachuted, carry pouches and equipment or weapons in them giving a player additional in game possibilities for K-9 unit usage. All these decisions had to basic goals in mind:
1. Simulate K-9 units in FIREPOWER to greatest extent
2. Implement K-9 units in such a way that they offer as many new in- game abilities to the player making it useful and purposeful addition to the game.
COMPONENTS AND CONTENT
This expansion is organized into six booklets. These are as follows:
1. This OVERVIEW
2. K-9 BATTLE MANUAL
3. K-9 WARDOG SCHOOL
4. K-9 REFERENCE BOOKLET
5. PLAYER’S AID
6. PRINT MATERIAL
OVERVIEW IN DETAIL
This overview is comprised of introduction to this module, design notes and this summary so the reader can navigate through the material more easily. FINISHED
K-9 BATTLE MANUAL IN DETAIL
Battle manual consists of detailed rules, complete with all needed tables, laid out in FIREPOWER rules format, and glossary of used terms in a module. 80% DONE (WILL BE FINISHED LAST AFTER THROUGHOUT PLAYTESTING)

K-9 WARDOG SCHOOL IN DETAIL
War dog school booklet is a little more complex. Knowing that a lot of players have a problem with FIREPOWER rules format, I devised this booklet to serve as an easier learning tool through examples of play.
Booklet starts with an informational text about U.S. Wardog program, which introduces a world of K-9 units to the player, explaining the process of selection, breeds, types of training, K-9 unit types and their usage in warfare. Last topic in this informal section is a text describing today’s K-9 gear in use in today’s warfare.
Lastly, this booklet ends with actual play by play K-9 handler boot camp to introduce concepts, relations and attributes of K-9 units in FIREPOWER.
It is strongly recommended that new players start reading this booklet first
and then proceed to the board with a booklet and PLAYER’s AID to quickly learn how to be a K-9 handler in a game.
Even though the volume of this module implies complexity, it is far from the case. Once a player plays through a boot camp, and uses a dog one or two times in a game he will be familiar with the rules so that referencing will be put to minimum. Rules reflect real life to a degree so added rules become logical after a few plays.
Most of this module occupies the background of K-9 world so a player would not only be a good FIREPOWER commander, but also a well informed player that understands real life attributes and abilities of units in this arsenal because they are heavily reflected within FIPREPOWER system.
Also wealth of material should give enough information to the players looking for new scenario ideas and offers a wide range of material to produce rich scenarios where war dogs rule the battlefield!
80% DONE (FINISHED THE GENERAL PART, CURENTLY CONSTRUCTING A BOOT CAMP. Basic course finished,advanced course needs 3 more order examples)

K-9 REFERENCE BOOKLET IN DETAIL
Reference booklet is all about information. First text is an optional reading, encompassing a short history of dogs in warfare, their roles and evolution of K-9 units.
Next text is a look into psychological problems in dogs after extreme experiences. This is also optional informational read.
Next section is an informal look into development and usage of K-9 units around the world, describing a dozen countries and their K-9 programs.
This section is ever expanding and I would like the community to pitch in and send any information on K-9 units from their countries to be implemented in later versions.
Last section of this booklet is named Dog Heroes, and features around twenty famous war dogs and their stories.
(DONE, needs read thrugh from someone other than me)

PLAYERS AID IN DETAIL
Player’s aid is a reference chart containing all the tables needed to play the module with additional charts summarizing all the needed rules.
98% DONE(ALL THE TABLES ARE READY, IM CURRENTLY TWEAKING THE SYSTEM SO IT WOULD BE BALANCED MORE AND SIMPLFYING IT, WILL NEED BETA TESTERS YOU HARDCORE FIREPOWER GENERALS OUT THERE!!!)

PRINT PAGE IN DETAIL
Print page; or pages, contain all tokens needed to play this mode. These include a lot of options and variations for the players to use. Tokens were designed in FIREPOWER spirit and player can choose between different styles of dog tokens, their types, abilities and breeds. They can also choose from couple of versions of handler tokens or can use any other regular unit in the original game (except Commanders). Also there is a small amount of additional operational chits provided used sometimes by dog units on the board.
Lastly, we designed a print page with dog names to be printed on a sticker paper, cut and applied on new tokens provided, if a player would like to name their dog for usage in campaign games or gets really attached to their war dog, which we completely understand and support!
Now you may proceed reading this plentiful material that will help you to employ WARDOGS as your ultimate aggressor!
70% DONE (dOG TYPE CHITS, FIRST VERSION IS DONE, HANDLERS 2 VERSIONS DONE, STILL NEED TO DO 2 MORE DOG VERSIONS AND OPERATIONAL TOKENS (LIKE 5 PIECES))

And thats all I did. Im working intensely on it an I think it could be ready for beta testing people in about 30 days (give or take).

Any thoughts would be appreciated and if anyone would like to get involved don't hesitate to PM me

EDIT: Update on progress of work x3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija Bublic
Croatia
Ivanic Grad
flag msg tools
mbmb
THE MOD IS UPLOADED JUST IN TIME FOR YOUR FIREPOWER FRIDAYS I will add Beta tester form so you can fill it outafter a play ao we can make K-9 units Firepower mod even better!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.