Subject: Close Combat on Wire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Just wanted to explore what happens when one of the involvees in Close Combat is on Wire: specifically, whether there is a -1 modifier to the CCV.

Firstly, how can this situation occur? In four ways:

1) Most commonly, when the defender (ie the infiltrated group) is on Wire.

2) When the attacker infiltrates and then receives Wire while still infiltrating [13.36].

3) When the attackers are a Japanese Banzai group [45.423]. Note that this definitely states that the Banzai group, if on Wire, gets a -1 to CCV.

4) A Berserk man [20.91]. A clarification says: Berserk status allows CC in situations not normally allowed (i.e. vs. Pillbox or Minefield or from a Pillbox, Wire, Stream or Marsh). No infiltration check is made, and there is no modification made nor any check taken due to terrain or artificial terrain situations.

It’s worth noting that section 13.3 Wire talks about modifications to Fire Strength (or To Hit# for ordnance) but doesn’t mention modifications to CC.

So on the face of it we have no effect of Wire on CC except for Banzai men.

However, consider an argument from realism (I know, I know…), CC is combat at less than 50 yards, so includes close-range firefights and grenades as well as bayonet-and-knuckleduster stuff. Wire is an abstraction of any condition that makes a group more vulnerable and/or less able to deliver fire; it seems to me perfectly justifiable to apply at least one of the modifiers to the CCV.

On that basis one could say that the references to Fire Strength in 13.32 should have included CCV; and that the exception for a Berserk attacker is reasonable because by definition he is unaware of his surroundings and thus ignoring any limitations imposed by Wire (look, he’s running around in a Minefield or battering at the slot of a Pillbox, so a few strands of wire aren’t going to inhibit him).

But what does the team think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything above, including the idea CCV should have been modified for wire--but of course isn't. (Probably just -1 to CCV for a man if he is in a group in Wire. (i.e. +1 Attacking TEM for attacking a man in Wire. would not be applied.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not playing Up Front for any realism aspect ... so I'd stay with the rules as written ... stay within what the game allows ... Anyone can come up with a number of arguments to support any position.

For example, to support the rules as written, I would say to myself once the act of CC initiates, be it through Infiltration, Human Wave, Berserk, Banzai, or whatever ... it doesn't matter where or what anyone was coming from, or even in previously. That Wire is irrelevant now since they are now in the death throws of Close Combat, so let God sort it out now.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
M'mm yes - except the rules as written do give a modifier for Banzai attackers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
M'mm yes - except the rules as written do give a modifier for Banzai attackers.

And it is clearly clear what to do then!

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.